Old November 28th 05, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
fatpie

Default Beginner's Lathe Projects

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a site that has diagrams,
castings etc for beginner's lathe projects. My dad's bought a lathe,
but we don't have anything to make on it yet. I would be interested in
projects not requiring castings, or sites that sells fairly cheap
beginner to intermediate unmachined castings and diagrams (my dad was
an engineer, and I've used a lathe a small amount at school, so we're
not absolute beginners).

Old November 28th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
fatpie

Sorry, almost forgot:
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/i...ml&CatalogBody

Old November 28th 05, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
fatpie

Almost forgot, my lathe:
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/i...ml&CatalogBody

Old November 28th 05, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
fatpie

Sorry, almost forgot. This is my lathe:
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/i...ml&CatalogBody
(CLARKE 6 SPEED LATHE WITH 12 SPEED MILL DRILL)

Old November 28th 05, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Part of owning your own lathe is making stuff the way you
want/need it.

Get a bunch of tool catalogs and old machining books and scan
these for ideas.

Make the tools you want such as a rear mounted cut-off tool
holder, pump-staff for centering/locating parts on
faceplates/chucks, die holders for threading, quick change tool
holders.

Home Shop Machinist and Machinist Workbench magazines are also
good. see http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/ a little pricy but
worth the cost.

see http://www.krfcompany.com/overview.html

I find lindsay's reprint books to be a goldmine of information.
see http://www.lindsaybks.com/

see some of the student machining projects from college on my
website at
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...aftmachine.htm

All three of Lautard's books are very good. I am anticipating
the 4th. see http://lautard.com/books.htm

Uncle George
=================================

Old November 28th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
fatpie

F. George McDuffee wrote:
Part of owning your own lathe is making stuff the way you
want/need it.

Get a bunch of tool catalogs and old machining books and scan
these for ideas.

Make the tools you want such as a rear mounted cut-off tool
holder, pump-staff for centering/locating parts on
faceplates/chucks, die holders for threading, quick change tool
holders.

Great ideas, thanks a lot. I searched in vain online for a long time
for projects, and the ones I found at school were all things we already
had. Though my teacher did suggest a bell punch, which sounded like a
good idea to me. Thanks for all the links too, your school site,
particularly, was very interesting. I'm looking forward to getting
started.

Old November 29th 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a site that has diagrams,
castings etc for beginner's lathe projects. My dad's bought a lathe,
but we don't have anything to make on it yet. I would be interested in
projects not requiring castings, or sites that sells fairly cheap
beginner to intermediate unmachined castings and diagrams (my dad was
an engineer, and I've used a lathe a small amount at school, so we're
not absolute beginners).

We make a pretty nifty whistle with our freshmen students. Drawings
are at http://neme-s.org/images/PDF%20Files...nload_page.htm

Brass core and 1/2" copper shell. Just mind the diameters on the core
for best results.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Old December 1st 05, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On 28 Nov 2005 11:43:22 -0800, "fatpie" wrote:

(CLARKE 6 SPEED LATHE WITH 12 SPEED MILL DRILL)

Take it back, get something better

_ANYTHING_ is better than that piece of junk.
(Yes, I'm speaking from experience here)

Maybe look at an Emco ?

Old December 1st 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
fatpie

I would follow your advice, but there's really nothing I can do about
it. It's not my lathe, it's really my dad's, though he bought it for
me to learn on. He spent a huge amount of effort getting it, and I
really couldn't complain at all.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

On 1 Dec 2005 13:02:13 -0800, "fatpie"
wrote:

I would follow your advice, but there's really nothing I can do about
it. It's not my lathe, it's really my dad's, though he bought it for
me to learn on. He spent a huge amount of effort getting it, and I
really couldn't complain at all.

That equipment is just fine. Plenty of really nice work is turned out
on those machines. I presume the lathe is the 9x20?
Good first project is the compound mount upgrade.

Rex