Jeff

Default Beginner's Projects

I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner metalworking
projects. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something that would start with
simple projects and progress to more difficult. I'd think that there would
be a tech school text of some sort.

Jeff - beginning metalworker

Rex B

Ive picked up several metalworking books at used book stores. 2 of them
have an extensive project plans library in the back, from very simple to
intermediate..
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Jeff wrote:
I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner metalworking
projects. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something that would start with
simple projects and progress to more difficult. I'd think that there would
be a tech school text of some sort.

Jeff - beginning metalworker

F. George McDuffee

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:57:10 -0700, "Jeff"
wrote:
I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner metalworking
projects. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something that would start with
simple projects and progress to more difficult. I'd think that there would
be a tech school text of some sort.
Jeff - beginning metalworker

=======================
Among other things, I teach craft machining at our local
community college.

School texts tend to be *VERY* expensive [c. 100$]. These also
include many of the newer machines/techniques/materials that a
home shop machinist will never use. One of the best is Kibbe's
"Machine Tool Practices."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...22431?v=glance

I suggest you look at the older books from Lindsay books
http://www.lindsaybks.com/

I have found Milney's book "Machine Shop Methods" to be an
excellent basic text for craft machining and very reasonably
priced at 19$ + s/h from Lindsay
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/milne/index.html

The types of projects that will be most useful/meaningful to you
will depend on your interests and equipment, for example, one of
our standard student projects is a fly cutter that can use almost
any positive rake carbide insert [i.e. round, square, triangular,
diamond, etc.] however this is meaningful only if you have a
milling machine and a need/desire to finish large flat surfaces.

The class syllabi includes the following section for
"Additional/Supplemental References"

The instructor will distribute extensive handouts, taken mainly
from the following references. The student is encouraged but not
required to read and possibly purchase the following texts. Many
of these items are available in the FPC library in the Mac and
Betty McDuffee Foundation collection.

Milne, Lorus J., Machine Shop Methods, [reprint] Lindsay
Publications, Bradley, IL
Colvin, Fred H., Running an Engine Lathe, [reprint] Lindsay
Publications, Bradley, IL
Kibbe, Neely, et al, Machine tool Practices, 7th Edition,
Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, Available FPC
bookstore. Note: This text is expensive but is used in several
technology classes and is a good reference.
Barritt, J. W., Lathe Operations, [reprint] Lindsay Publications,
Bradley, IL
South Bend Lathe, South Bend Lathe Machine Shop Projects,
[reprint] Lindsay Publications, Bradley, IL
Horner, Joseph, Practical Metal Turning, [reprint] Lindsay
Publications, Bradley, IL
Sheldon Machine Company, The Care and Operation of a Lathe,
[reprint] Lindsay Publications, Bradley, IL
South Bend Lathe, How to Run a Metalworking Shaper and Drill
Press, [reprint] Lindsay Publications, Bradley, IL
Hasluck, Paul N., Hasluck's Metalworking Tools, Materials &
Processes, [reprint] Lindsay Publications, Bradley, IL
Smith, Robert H, Elements of Machine Work, [reprint] Lindsay
Publications, Bradley, IL
Smith, Robert H., Advanced Machine Work [reprint] Lindsay
Publications, Bradley, IL
Gingery, Dave, The Metal Lathe, Lindsay Publications, Bradley, IL
Henry Ford Trade School, Shop Theory, [reprint] Lindsay
Publications, Bradley, IL
Oberg, Jones, Horton, et al. Machinery's Handbook 26th edition,
Industrial Press, New York [note earlier editions may be more
suitable as these emphasize manual machining techniques, older
manual machines, materials, techniques and processes]
Lautard, Guy The Machinist' Bedside Reader, Guy B.E. Lautard;
ISBN: 0969098030; (December 1988)
Lautard, Guy The Second Machinist' Bedside Reader and the Bull's
Eye Mixture, Guy B. E. Lautard; ISBN: 0969098030; (December 1988)
Lautard, Guy The Third Machinist' Bedside Reader, Guy B. E.
Lautard; ISBN: 096909809X; (June 1, 1993)
Moltrecht, Karl H., Machine Shop Practice, 2nd ed., Vol I,
Industrial Press, New York ISBN: 0-8311-1126-7
Moltrecht, Karl H., Machine Shop Practice, 2nd ed., Vol II,
Industrial Press, New York ISBN: 0-8311-1132-1
Jones, Franklin D., Machine Shop Training Course 5th Ed, Vol I.
ISBN: 0-8311-1039-2 Industrial Press, New York (1964)
Jones, Franklin D., Machine Shop Training Course 5th Ed. Vol II
Industrial Press ISBN: 0-8311-1040-6 (1964)
Hoffman, Edward G. and McCauley, Christopher, J. Shop Reference
for Students and Apprentices, 2nd ed. Industrial Press, New York
(2001) ISBN 0-8311-3079-2
Anderson, John G. Technical Shop Mathematics, 2nd ed. (1983)
Industrial Press, New York ISBN 0-8311-1145-3

I hope this will be of help to you.

GmcD

Nick Müller

Jeff wrote:

I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner metalworking
projects.

Well not for a scratch start, but nice to read and inspiring:
"Unusual Projects from the first year of Model craftsman Magazine 1933"
reprinted by Lindsay.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

One book that helped me get started is "The home machinist's Handbook"
by Doug Briney. Has projects useful in the shop, as well as others. I
think I have seen it still available on Amazon.com.

Paul in Redmond, OR

Nick M=FCller wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner metalwor=

king
projects.

Well not for a scratch start, but nice to read and inspiring:
"Unusual Projects from the first year of Model craftsman Magazine 1933"
reprinted by Lindsay.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
=7Ftodays SPAMfeed:

SteveB

"Jeff" wrote in message
I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner
metalworking projects. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something that would
start with simple projects and progress to more difficult. I'd think that
there would be a tech school text of some sort.

Jeff - beginning metalworker

Start with stuff you need ..............

a cart
a table
a rack

look around and learn to make things to fit a use rather than just make
things.

Steve

machineman

Jeff wrote:
I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner metalworking
projects. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something that would start with
simple projects and progress to more difficult. I'd think that there would
be a tech school text of some sort.

Jeff - beginning metalworker

Take a look around for some of the Workshop Practice Book series.
here is a link to some of them including "Making Small Workshop Tools"
and "Metalwork and Machining Hints and Tips" both have plans for
various projects.

http://www.campbelltools.com/workshopseries.htm
Tom Miller

Have a look at this page, Its got some good starter projects that you can
learn from.

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projects/project.html

"Jeff" wrote in message
I'm looking for a source or a book or a workbook for beginner

metalworking
projects. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something that would start with
simple projects and progress to more difficult. I'd think that there would
be a tech school text of some sort.

Jeff - beginning metalworker

carl mciver

Visit your local library. I found some really good stuff there, plus
lots of other related books chock full of ideas for me to ruminate over.