Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default No Messages in 5 Days?

Did the forum die?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 21, 9:17 am, Neillarson wrote:
Did the forum die?

It seems to get slow around here as the weather improves. I know my
business really picks up, and if I lived up farther north where this
was really prime weather I wouldn't be on the machine too much.

As it is now, I am here at my desk a lot writing estimates and other
tedious office business, so I can check on breaks.

It does seem a little slower than usual, though.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Neil, Count your blessings!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Neillarson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Did the forum die?

Yeah, centuries ago, along with the Coliseum. Where've you been?

B.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 21 Jun, 15:17, Neillarson wrote:
Did the forum die?

Hello from one who lurks more than posts!

Things did indeed appear to be slow, but then it will not be any
faster because of my input!

My excuse for not keeping things turning over (Pun intended) is
because more often than not I cannot answer any of the questions and
that I do not have any problems to solve apart from those that only I
can deal with!

Hope that all are well,

Regards Peter Charles Fagg (UK)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 21 jun, 16:17, Neillarson wrote:
Did the forum die?

I added 7 new turnings to my website, maybe that's a little help to
get comments?
Here you go directly to the new items:
http://www.woodarts4u.com/gallery.php

Thanks for looking!

Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerard wrote:
On 21 jun, 16:17, Neillarson wrote:
Did the forum die?

I added 7 new turnings to my website, maybe that's a little help to
get comments?
Here you go directly to the new items:
http://www.woodarts4u.com/gallery.php

Thanks for looking!

Gerard

Those are gorgeous. Now I remember why I don't like you. ;-)

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000751-5, 06/24/2007
Tested on: 6/25/2007 1:29:30 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 25 jun, 07:29, BillinDetroit wrote:
Gerard wrote:
On 21 jun, 16:17, Neillarson wrote:
Did the forum die?

I added 7 new turnings to my website, maybe that's a little help to
get comments?
Here you go directly to the new items:
http://www.woodarts4u.com/gallery.php

Thanks for looking!

Gerard

Those are gorgeous. Now I remember why I don't like you. ;-)

Bill

Don't be jealous at me Bill, O.K. I'ts my hands, my brains, but that
alone won't do it. This group was and is a lot of help. And something
else, maybe the most important, but how can one say the unspeakable?

Thanks!

Gerard.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello, Gerard. I had never been to your website, and I think your
work is great. Nice designs and great choice of woods. I like the
straightforward design of your website, too.

The piece called "Halima" looks like some kind of turned branch wood.
The spalting is beautiful. What kind of wood is that? What kind of
finish did you put on it?

Inquiring minds, you know.

TIA -

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 25 jun, 17:20, "
wrote:
Hello, Gerard. I had never been to your website, and I think your
work is great. Nice designs and great choice of woods. I like the
straightforward design of your website, too.

The piece called "Halima" looks like some kind of turned branch wood.
The spalting is beautiful. What kind of wood is that? What kind of
finish did you put on it?

Inquiring minds, you know.

Hello Robert,
Thanks for your kind comments. The Halima piece is indeed turned
branch wood, the same branch Rabiah was turned from.
It's spalted beech, the colors have a lot of contrast. I'm working at
a piece of even more spalted beech, the black lines have turned red-
brown, so the process of spalting is creative in itself.
As a finish I used a tung & hardwax-oil mixture, after it dried, I put
on a wax-mixture of beeswax, carnauba and terpentine, followed by some
hand-buffing.
I hope your inquiring mind got some satisfaction by this information,
in case it wants to know more, don't hesitate to ask!

Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerard

Yes a very nice job again, and you kept the beach together, with the
pith in, that in itself is impressive.
I only turned spalted beech a couple of times, it is really nice
looking wood that way.

And yes you did a go job also building your site, especially the way
one is able to flip through the pictures, but I've seen that before,
the only thing missing in my point of view is,.... WHAT kind of wood
did you use for the turnings??????
I think most people, (not just turners) like to know what wood the
turnings are made out of.

And yes we don't always know the exact kind of wood it is but a lot of
times we do, you don't have to be correct all the time ;-)), just
give it your best shot.

I just got back from 2 weeks with my youngest son, as I got to be Opa
again for the 7th time, this time it's a Girl, so now we have 5 boys
and 2 girl grant kids :-))).
Been to busy to spent much time on the net, son and I build a great
pick-nick table and also quarried out a back filled a flat base for a
storage place we still have to build, and LOML was busy helping out
with the new baby.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 24, 12:59 pm, Gerard wrote:
On 21 jun, 16:17, Neillarson wrote:

Did the forum die?

I added 7 new turnings to my website, maybe that's a little help to
get comments?
Here you go directly to the new items:http://www.woodarts4u.com/gallery.php

Thanks for looking!

Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 26 jun, 04:43, "
wrote:
[...]

Hi Leo,

Congratulations! What can beat the miracle of new life?

Thanks for your compliments.
The beech did split a bit, but it could be glued and filled when is
was at EMC.
The toughest was handling the sometimes very week spalted parts of the
wood, but CA came in very helpful.
On my wish-list regarding the website, there's the point you
mentioned: the kind of wood. The thing is, that more text means less
pixels for the picture, at the point the text-space is used up
horizontally, the picture becomes smaller.
You're right about not having to be correct all the time, my
perfectionism has its bright and its dark sides. People like you are a
great help to see this urge of mine a bit more relative.
I see that you and your LOML have a busy job being grandparents! Isn't
that great?

Groeten uit Holland (windmills, Delfts blauw and klompen (wooden
shoes) ;-)

Gerard.

What is these messages? [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 12th 07 01:32 AM
OE problems with messages Grady Metalworking 3 May 29th 05 02:29 PM
Replying to messages Mikel Home Repair 4 March 30th 05 06:40 PM
OT Cross Posted Messages Rich Home Repair 1 September 11th 04 03:08 PM