Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is these messages?

I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Some sort of phishing or spam, in some arabic language apparently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:41:47 -0400, "jeffc" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Some sort of phishing or spam, in some arabic language apparently.

Recently I've seen a lot of subject lines with "???????????" in them.
The message body will be mostly question marks too. I've checked the
headers and most of them are posted from Google.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that I
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:29:02 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that I
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that I
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

It means that he doesn't see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Same
thing as a kill file for specific submitters, just a little more
generic. Not a bad idea either.
What's bad is when someone responds to the filtered posts and
manages to quote the whole damn thing to say, "WTF?" or that they've
reported it as spam. Then not only does he waste his (and my) time
trying to read the spam/junk but then that "reposter" (who is doing
the originator a great favor) borders on getting added to my kill file.
That help?
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

wrote in message
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that I
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

It means that he doesn't see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Same
thing as a kill file for specific submitters, just a little more
generic. Not a bad idea either.

So he blocks *posts* with non-English fonts. I get it. Thanks.

What's bad is when someone responds to the filtered posts and
manages to quote the whole damn thing to say, "WTF?" or that they've
reported it as spam. Then not only does he waste his (and my) time
trying to read the spam/junk but then that "reposter" (who is doing
the originator a great favor) borders on getting added to my kill file.
That help?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that I
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

It means that he doesn't see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Same
thing as a kill file for specific submitters, just a little more
generic. Not a bad idea either.

While I did sort of figure it was spam, I cant understand this foreign
font thing. I dont have any of them installed, but I still see these
posts on the newsgroups and there is no way to filter them that I can
think of. But as another reply person said, this is upper ascii. That
I know because I have used character map. How anyone can read this
sort of stuff amazes me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

wrote in message
Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

IE and Outlook both have an "install on demand" feature for foreign language
fonts like Korean, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic and so on. If you turn that
feature off, when you get SPAM mail from those countries the sender and
title are gibberish. You just delete them and don't waste time opening
them.

If on the other hand you have "install on demand" on that text is rendered
in English by Outlook and you read their crap. A lot of SPAM comes from
those countries.

If you happen to visit a site written in the foreign font you may be asked
if you want to install it. I usually don't. Sometimes the page will load
correctly and other times I Google some more for an English speaking site.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

It means that he doesn't see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Same
thing as a kill file for specific submitters, just a little more
generic. Not a bad idea either.

While I did sort of figure it was spam, I cant understand this foreign
font thing. I dont have any of them installed, but I still see these
posts on the newsgroups and there is no way to filter them that I can
think of.

Not in version 2 of Agent, which is what I use too, I think. Maybe in
a later version (it had been requested iirc) and in OE and Outlook, I
think. I'm happy with Agent and I'll stick with Agent. In fact,
these are easier to filter out manually than the spam that is in
English, and nothing they say can annoy me because I can't read it.

But as another reply person said, this is upper ascii. That
I know because I have used character map. How anyone can read this
sort of stuff amazes me.

Because there are so many Chinese and Korean (and Japanese)
characters, they have to use uni-code, that takes two bytes for each
character, instead of one.

You can install more languages for Agent, using General
Prefences/Languages/Add Language, but especially with version 2, you
may have to first go to the forte agent site to find them. Or better
yet, ask on the Agent newsgroups, there are two of them. There are
quite a few features that were written by people who don't work for
the company and they are all available for download on a non-company
webpage. One is as simple as allowing one to order the subscribed
groups any way he wants, and I forget what the others are. One was a
way to go straight to the groups.google webpage that includes the post
one is looking at. It was written for dejanews and updated.

They list a couple unicode fonts utf-8 and utf-7 in several of the
drop-down menus below that, but I don't know how any of that works,
and the newsgroups I read are all in English.

Posted and mailed
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You might be able to build a kill file with Character Map and filter
the high ascii ؟؟؟ ??? Never thought of it or tried it....

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:38:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

While I did sort of figure it was spam, I cant understand this foreign
font thing. I dont have any of them installed, but I still see these
posts on the newsgroups and there is no way to filter them that I can
think of. But as another reply person said, this is upper ascii. That
I know because I have used character map. How anyone can read this
sort of stuff amazes me.

You might be able to build a kill file with Character Map and filter
the high ascii ؟؟؟ ??? Never thought of it or tried it....

Good idea. Im 100% sure that there will be details about this on

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified is for really fancy
stuff, like making changes directly to the exe file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:16:43 -0400, mm
wrote:

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified is for really fancy
stuff, like making changes directly to the exe file.

I've never used another reader, except Forte Agent. I did a binary
edit and still have version 1.5 32 /451. It was like a "spoof", but
the posting host IP was not encrypted so it failed to completely hide
the user. It was a fun lesson in binary editing, that I still don't
get or know much about it since I'm not a programmer.

--
Oren