Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default What is these messages?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:09:10 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:34:47 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 04:00:52 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

mm wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:29:02 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

wrote in message
I keep seeing mesages on here with subject lines like this.
دعوة الى التأمل بصور الاعصار (توجو) صور
What the heck are they? Is this some foreign thing or what?

Usually a message posted using a non-English language font. If you never
install those fonts you will have a much smaller chance of getting screwed
by the scammers from those countries. There really isn't anyone there that I
want to talk to so I have all non-English fonts blocked on my computer.

What do you mean by blocking non-English fonts? What does that do?

It means that he doesn't see them. Out of sight, out of mind. Same
thing as a kill file for specific submitters, just a little more
generic. Not a bad idea either.

While I did sort of figure it was spam, I cant understand this foreign
font thing. I dont have any of them installed, but I still see these
posts on the newsgroups and there is no way to filter them that I can
think of. But as another reply person said, this is upper ascii. That
I know because I have used character map. How anyone can read this
sort of stuff amazes me.

You might be able to build a kill file with Character Map and filter
the high ascii ؟؟؟ ??? Never thought of it or tried it....

--
Oren