Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about Trekking Poles.

I never see trekking poles (walking poles) mentioned by woodturners.
Probably not popular here in flat S.Florida as in Europe, but are they
widely used elsewhere? The ones I've seen are made of aluminum shafts
and molded rubber heads, but could there (or already is) be a market for
custom trekking poles with special touches of turned wood to rival the
amazing prices custom turned wood croquet mallets and pool cues sell
for?

These are not walking sticks. The idea is to shift the burden from knees
to shoulders and there is a technique involved. Maybe a mystique could
be promoted like the perception of a hardy European trekking up the
mountainside.

Sometimes I'm the last to know so if any of you are already turning
custom trekking poles please respond. Same for you 'kneekick
negativists' who are too often right and know ahead of time that
trekking poles can't work in wood. For any others interested,
please google a few of the many sites and chime in.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
I never see trekking poles (walking poles) mentioned by woodturners.
Probably not popular here in flat S.Florida as in Europe, but are they
widely used elsewhere? The ones I've seen are made of aluminum shafts
and molded rubber heads, but could there (or already is) be a market for
custom trekking poles with special touches of turned wood to rival the
amazing prices custom turned wood croquet mallets and pool cues sell
for?

You see a lot more Poles trekking around Europe now than you used to....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

Arch ,

My wife has a pair. Weight/strength (lightest/strongest is considered
best) is a huge factor. Also, they adjust in length (longer when
descending, shorter when climbing) and when not in use compress down
to around 2 feet. One additional thing, many contain a shock absorber
system that can be locked out (I forget if the locked is for climbing
or descent). Those are pretty tall spec's for something made of wood.
It would be pretty tough to compete with titanium.

Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Nordic walking poles are generally preferred to be of one solid length
sized to the walker. Most are made from carbon and a few from
aluminum. The collapsible poles are Skiing/Hiking poles although some
manufacturers do make collapsible Nordic poles for travelers. It
really depends on the use of pole... walking, hiking, skiing,
snowshoeing or Nordic walking.

Nordic walking has made it to the US, but it's mainly popular in
colder regions, along with snowshoeing. Turned poles for hiking,
general walking and even Nordic walking are a neat idea. I do make
some hiking/walking poles and some for the renaissance festivals. It's
a fun along with making wands for the kids to play Harry Potter.

My wife has a pair. Weight/strength (lightest/strongest is considered
best) is a huge factor. Also, they adjust in length (longer when
descending, shorter when climbing) and when not in use compress down
to around 2 feet. One additional thing, many contain a shock absorber
system that can be locked out (I forget if the locked is for climbing
or descent). Those are pretty tall spec's for something made of wood.
It would be pretty tough to compete with titanium.
Larry

Larry,

I have a few of the poles like your wife and they are great,
especially when I travel out of state, but I do prefer a more natural
and non-collapsible type when walking locally and hiking in the woods.
Part of it for me is the added security of having a long hardwood
stave that I can also use to defend myself, and the collapsible ones
just aren't as effective of menacing.

I also have a Cold Steel Walkabout cane that's built like a baseball
bat (practically). I got it after an accident which left me with great
difficulty walking and needing something really solid and comfortable.
It's a neat stick. Check the Walkabout out, as I suspect those are
completely whole turned pieces of Ash and/or Hickory.

I've been playing around with several ways to make poles. I find them
fun and useful. I hope some of this info gives a few others out there
a little more creative inspiration as it did for me. Keep trekking!!

`Casper

Train your mind to test every thought, ideology,
train of reasoning, and claim to truth.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Don't know about "trekking poles" as such, but I like a good staff.
However, I don't consider turning to be especially appropriate for
making staves - I like to find a good stick and peel the bark off,
perhaps work it over a bit with a spokeshave. None too convenient for
non-local travel, of course - too long.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 15, 6:38 am, "George" wrote:
"Arch" wrote in message

I never see trekking poles (walking poles) mentioned by woodturners.
Probably not popular here in flat S.Florida as in Europe, but are they
widely used elsewhere? The ones I've seen are made of aluminum shafts
and molded rubber heads, but could there (or already is) be a market for
custom trekking poles with special touches of turned wood to rival the
amazing prices custom turned wood croquet mallets and pool cues sell
for?

You see a lot more Poles trekking around Europe now than you used to....

Well Arch here's a novel idea. As a young'un in rural England it was
customary to endure 4 - 5 mile evening walks after "tea". Usually
Grandfather was in attendance and out would come his well sharpened
pocket knife and after some considerable deliberation he would plunge
into a roadside thicket and after a few minutes, return with a
suitable walking pole. He would hand it over along with the knife and
encourage me to carve some decorations on the pole. Usually the next
spring the poles were found in the vegetable garden as supports for
runner beans or peas. So the tradition would carry on each year. I
have a couple of similar walking poles that have a sentimental
connection to a wilderness experience and are now a nice souvenir.
No lathe work involved but a nice way to get the young 'uns safely
using a sharp tool.
Another walking activity was the making of twig whistles, usually from
hazel nut (filbert) shrubs in the hedgerows. Again more knife work.
I guess we had a more simpler lifestyle back then.
Thanks for dredging up the memories!
Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ecnerwal wrote:
Don't know about "trekking poles" as such, but I like a good staff.
However, I don't consider turning to be especially appropriate for
making staves - I like to find a good stick and peel the bark off,
perhaps work it over a bit with a spokeshave. None too convenient for
non-local travel, of course - too long.

I agree. I made one of mine with a screw joint courtesy of Lee Valley,
which I keep in the car trunk. While I was at it, I put a tripod screw
on top which I have used for steadying distant shots and when not in
use for that, have a brass door knob which screws on.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The early worm gets the bird.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 15, 12:51 am, (Arch) wrote:
[...]

Hello Arch,

Several years ago, I made several walking stick. (That is what I
called them). Mine were made in two or three pieces with screw thread
joints. I used a brass 3/4" pipe coupling and made the male threads
from lignum viate. They were about five feet long and when unscrewed
they easily were carried in a car. I made one out of mesquite in three
pieces for a customer. The mesquite threaded quite well for the male
threads. The brass couplings were hex shaped, so I turned then round
to fit with the shape of the wood. I used one for walking on rugh
terrain and they helped with the balance greatly. They didn't sell
well at the craft fairs that I was attending at the time.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ebd wrote:

Arch ,

My wife has a pair. Weight/strength (lightest/strongest is considered
best) is a huge factor. Also, they adjust in length (longer when
descending, shorter when climbing) and when not in use compress down
to around 2 feet. One additional thing, many contain a shock absorber
system that can be locked out (I forget if the locked is for climbing
or descent). Those are pretty tall spec's for something made of wood.
It would be pretty tough to compete with titanium.

Larry

Mine has an interchangeable foot. Rubber tip, spike, and a parachute/cup
like thingy for sand or snow.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Craft supplies does carry some parts
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...tion&keywords=
walking-accessory
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...tion&keywords=
walking-kit
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...tion&keywords=
walking-handle

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Casper wrote:

I have a few of the poles like your wife and they are great,
especially when I travel out of state, but I do prefer a more natural
and non-collapsible type when walking locally and hiking in the woods.
Part of it for me is the added security of having a long hardwood
stave that I can also use to defend myself, and the collapsible ones
just aren't as effective of menacing.

I made a regular walking cane for a friend with a laminated shaft and a
horse-hame handle. I'm reasonably strong and can only barely (~1/4")
flex the shaft. No one has seemed interested in trying out the hame ...
but he had plenty of 'takers' for its $9.99 drugstore issue predecessor.

He has a half-dozen canes but, in almost two years, I think I've seen
him with one of the others exactly once.

All in all, one of my better pieces.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000750-1, 06/18/2007
Tested on: 6/18/2007 4:27:10 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

BillinDetroit wrote:

I made a regular walking cane for a friend with a laminated shaft and a
horse-hame handle.

Grin. This is likely one of the very few places where almost everybody will
know what a hame is and have seen it in use. Good idea for a cane handle!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:51:09 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

[...]

I made one that was very similar to what I found with a quick google
search to try and convince my wife to go hiking with me. It didn't
really work, as her idea of "hiking" is my idea of strolling on a
sidewalk. She didn't care for actually going onto dirt paths in the
woods, and it's a shame, as we are right next to a really nice "Ice
Age trail" that extends most of the way across the state.

The one I made was turned from purpleheart, and I turned the finger
grooves, then sanded about 70* of the diameter flat for where the palm
sits. Works pretty good for me, but it might be a little heavy if the
standard ones are aluminum.

I've also turned a number of canes as gifts, and they seem to go over
well. With an ebonized shaft and an exotic head, they can be used as
dress canes by the guys who do various kinds of re-enactment. My dad
does some competition cowboy shooting where a lot of the guys like to
carry thin walking sticks, though he actually needs it for walking, so
his are a bit more stout, with a large knob at the end about 1/2"
above palm level so that he can lean on the thing.

aluminum poles leonard Woodworking 8 October 22nd 06 05:16 AM
Telephone poles Steve B Woodworking 7 August 1st 06 04:15 PM
what are those poles called? tg UK diy 19 July 31st 06 10:55 PM
Fibreglass poles Gary Cavie UK diy 19 November 17th 05 08:47 AM
Curtain poles JoeBhoy UK diy 2 November 26th 04 04:14 PM