Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Telephone poles

Might not be the place to ask, but I'll ask anyway.

I want to make a watchtower out of telephone poles at my cabin. I have
always liked heights, and this would be good for sky watching, getting a
good view, or sharing a bottle of bubbly with Trixie.

I believe I can get some poles that are used, but in good condition. I
believe that four would make a very strong support for a platform that would
probably have a limit of four people at any one time.

Anyone else done any work with telephone poles of this type? Seems Tinker
Toy simple, disregarding the rigging aspect. (I am a retired crane operator
and rigger.) It would be doable, just tricky.

Leaving in a few minutes for a week at the cabin. Post here, and I'll
answer in a week.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:37:12 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Do they need to be hollowed out?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article r5szg.109400$iU2.52443@fed1read01,
Steve B wrote:
Might not be the place to ask, but I'll ask anyway.

I want to make a watchtower out of telephone poles at my cabin. I have
always liked heights, and this would be good for sky watching, getting a
good view, or sharing a bottle of bubbly with Trixie.

I believe I can get some poles that are used, but in good condition. I
believe that four would make a very strong support for a platform that would
probably have a limit of four people at any one time.

Anyone else done any work with telephone poles of this type? Seems Tinker
Toy simple, disregarding the rigging aspect. (I am a retired crane operator
and rigger.) It would be doable, just tricky.

Leaving in a few minutes for a week at the cabin. Post here, and I'll
answer in a week.

Steve

Uhh, what was the question?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not to be critical, but this is a woodworking forum, not a construction

Posted to rec.woodworking

forum. I might suggest you post this over at alt.building.construction

Unless he wants to have a real stylish tower, then maybe
alt.crafts.woodturning... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message

Unless he wants to have a real stylish tower, then maybe
alt.crafts.woodturning... *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Now that would be something!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve,

Screw the 'wood snobs & perverts' . . .

I've seen 2-3 telephone-electric company-cable guys working on a single pole
with no problems {and NO - not from a 'bucket truck', you smart-asses !!}.
So from a structural consideration there should be no problems.

Depending on the size & style of your platform {'plain, flat with a safety
rail', 'Kids Playhouse', or 'Victorian Gazebo'}you might want to consider a
'tripod' arrangement. Being a 'belt & suspenders' type of engineer . . . I
would also guy it with cables {maybe disguised as 'vines'}equidistant from
the solid supports - which would be 'splayed' even if four.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - Ascent via 'pull up' Jacobs Ladder ??}

"Steve B" wrote in message
Might not be the place to ask, but I'll ask anyway.

I want to make a watchtower out of telephone poles at my cabin. I have
always liked heights, and this would be good for sky watching, getting a
good view, or sharing a bottle of bubbly with Trixie.

I believe I can get some poles that are used, but in good condition. I
believe that four would make a very strong support for a platform that

would
probably have a limit of four people at any one time.

Anyone else done any work with telephone poles of this type? Seems Tinker
Toy simple, disregarding the rigging aspect. (I am a retired crane

operator
and rigger.) It would be doable, just tricky.

Leaving in a few minutes for a week at the cabin. Post here, and I'll
answer in a week.

Steve

Black Walnut Question tdstr Woodworking 19 April 12th 06 08:42 PM
Telephone socket electronics asalcedo UK diy 14 January 25th 06 06:39 PM
Telephone poles SteveB Home Repair 4 September 27th 05 07:48 PM
Telephone Line 1/ 2 barry martin Home Repair 0 March 8th 04 07:49 PM
Telephone Line Problems barry martin Home Repair 1 March 7th 04 03:00 AM