Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Telephone poles

Steve,

Screw the 'wood snobs & perverts' . . .

I've seen 2-3 telephone-electric company-cable guys working on a single pole
with no problems {and NO - not from a 'bucket truck', you smart-asses !!}.
So from a structural consideration there should be no problems.

Depending on the size & style of your platform {'plain, flat with a safety
rail', 'Kids Playhouse', or 'Victorian Gazebo'}you might want to consider a
'tripod' arrangement. Being a 'belt & suspenders' type of engineer . . . I
would also guy it with cables {maybe disguised as 'vines'}equidistant from
the solid supports - which would be 'splayed' even if four.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - Ascent via 'pull up' Jacobs Ladder ??}

"Steve B" wrote in message
Might not be the place to ask, but I'll ask anyway.

I want to make a watchtower out of telephone poles at my cabin. I have
always liked heights, and this would be good for sky watching, getting a
good view, or sharing a bottle of bubbly with Trixie.

I believe I can get some poles that are used, but in good condition. I
believe that four would make a very strong support for a platform that

would
probably have a limit of four people at any one time.

Anyone else done any work with telephone poles of this type? Seems Tinker
Toy simple, disregarding the rigging aspect. (I am a retired crane

operator
and rigger.) It would be doable, just tricky.

Leaving in a few minutes for a week at the cabin. Post here, and I'll
answer in a week.

Steve