Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Casper Casper is offline

Default Musing about Trekking Poles.

Nordic walking poles are generally preferred to be of one solid length
sized to the walker. Most are made from carbon and a few from
aluminum. The collapsible poles are Skiing/Hiking poles although some
manufacturers do make collapsible Nordic poles for travelers. It
really depends on the use of pole... walking, hiking, skiing,
snowshoeing or Nordic walking.

Nordic walking has made it to the US, but it's mainly popular in
colder regions, along with snowshoeing. Turned poles for hiking,
general walking and even Nordic walking are a neat idea. I do make
some hiking/walking poles and some for the renaissance festivals. It's
a fun along with making wands for the kids to play Harry Potter.

My wife has a pair. Weight/strength (lightest/strongest is considered
best) is a huge factor. Also, they adjust in length (longer when
descending, shorter when climbing) and when not in use compress down
to around 2 feet. One additional thing, many contain a shock absorber
system that can be locked out (I forget if the locked is for climbing
or descent). Those are pretty tall spec's for something made of wood.
It would be pretty tough to compete with titanium.
Larry

Larry,

I have a few of the poles like your wife and they are great,
especially when I travel out of state, but I do prefer a more natural
and non-collapsible type when walking locally and hiking in the woods.
Part of it for me is the added security of having a long hardwood
stave that I can also use to defend myself, and the collapsible ones
just aren't as effective of menacing.

I also have a Cold Steel Walkabout cane that's built like a baseball
bat (practically). I got it after an accident which left me with great
difficulty walking and needing something really solid and comfortable.
It's a neat stick. Check the Walkabout out, as I suspect those are
completely whole turned pieces of Ash and/or Hickory.

I've been playing around with several ways to make poles. I find them
fun and useful. I hope some of this info gives a few others out there
a little more creative inspiration as it did for me. Keep trekking!!

`Casper

Train your mind to test every thought, ideology,
train of reasoning, and claim to truth.