Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Musing about Trekking Poles.

I never see trekking poles (walking poles) mentioned by woodturners.
Probably not popular here in flat S.Florida as in Europe, but are they
widely used elsewhere? The ones I've seen are made of aluminum shafts
and molded rubber heads, but could there (or already is) be a market for
custom trekking poles with special touches of turned wood to rival the
amazing prices custom turned wood croquet mallets and pool cues sell
for?

These are not walking sticks. The idea is to shift the burden from knees
to shoulders and there is a technique involved. Maybe a mystique could
be promoted like the perception of a hardy European trekking up the
mountainside.

Sometimes I'm the last to know so if any of you are already turning
custom trekking poles please respond. Same for you 'kneekick
negativists' who are too often right and know ahead of time that
trekking poles can't work in wood. For any others interested,
please google a few of the many sites and chime in.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter