Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Two warnings and a tip.

1st. warning:

I'm gullible and it could be a scam, but FWIW and just in case. I got a
virus warning purporting to be from Microsoft and Norton this morning
advising not to open a powerpoint presentation: "Life is beautiful".
(It is but not always on the net.)

Tip:

I found some self drilling sleeve anchors for concrete, hardened and
about 7/16 in, diam. X 1 1/2 in. long. The toothed end closely resembles
a small version of a Stebcenter. There is no center pin, but the thru
hole at the toothed end is 1/4 in. and half way thru the other end is
5/16. both ends with standard female threads.

Looks easy to make a small drive center to be held in a Jacobs chuck by
adding a center pin and bolt with the head cut off. Or add a spring and
center pin to make a 'Stebcenter'.
*************************************
2nd warning:

I remember the brouhaha here about making a patented center marking
device for square blanks, so _DO NOT_ [repeat, DON"T] sell these
knockoffs.)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:45:17 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett
wrote:

(Arch) writes:

1st. warning:

I'm gullible and it could be a scam, but FWIW and just in case. I got a
virus warning purporting to be from Microsoft and Norton this morning
advising not to open a powerpoint presentation: "Life is beautiful".
(It is but not always on the net.)

Heavy sigh...

I've seen this mistake a thousand times. Literally.
DON'T FORWARD WARNINGS UNLESS YOU CHECK THE ACCURACY

It takes 10 seconds to do a google search, using the string

"live is beautiful" Microsoft virus

and Bingo - it says hoax hoax hoax over and over.
This hoax was started in 2002.

That's 5 years ago!!!!!!!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS investigate before you cry wolf. Please.

(sound of pulling hair from head. It's not very loud, as there's not much hair left.)

Carry on, gang...

That is, of course, assuming that you don't consider mass-emailing
that float around with several hundred e-mails off them from a
half-dozen forwarding attachments virus-like...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

2nd warning:

I remember the brouhaha here about making a patented center marking
device for square blanks, so _DO NOT_ [repeat, DON"T] sell these
knockoffs.)

Since I'm the guy offering Longworth-style chuck plates right now, is
that what prompted this warning, or is this specifically in regard to
center-marking guages? I don't have any interest in being blindsided
by a lawyer or three when a simple e-mail or phone call could probably
clear it up!

Of course, anyone who knows of or can make a solid claim of patent
infringement should let me know, and I'll refund the deposits I have
received for the plates and forget making them- but it seems like fair
use to me, as the plans are all over the internet and published in
magazines!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Prometheus

Prometheus the brouhaha was about the patented Oneway centre marker,
it just got overblown IMO.

The next is as I recall it, The longworth chuck was devised by an
Australian and had shown it at the wood turners club he belonged to,
and was in the process of writing a how to make it for other wood
turners, but he never finished it, died of cancer I think it was, then
someone from the wood turners club set out and finished it, and then
it got put on the net, for all to use, to the best of my recollection,
there were some improvement/changes added by others and now there are
several sites that show the plans on how to build them, and also some
do have them for sale, I would say you are pretty safe making them
IMO.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Apr 9, 9:37 pm, Prometheus wrote:
2nd warning:

I remember the brouhaha here about making a patented center marking
device for square blanks, so _DO NOT_ [repeat, DON"T] sell these
knockoffs.)

Since I'm the guy offering Longworth-style chuck plates right now, is
that what prompted this warning, or is this specifically in regard to
center-marking guages? I don't have any interest in being blindsided
by a lawyer or three when a simple e-mail or phone call could probably
clear it up!

Of course, anyone who knows of or can make a solid claim of patent
infringement should let me know, and I'll refund the deposits I have
received for the plates and forget making them- but it seems like fair
use to me, as the plans are all over the internet and published in
magazines!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 9, 9:50 pm, "
wrote:

it got put on the net, for all to use, to the best of my recollection, there were some improvement/changes added by others and now there are several sites that show the plans on how to build them, and also some
do have them for sale, I would say you are pretty safe making them IMO.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I sure think Leo is right. Those plans IN DETAIL have been around as
long as I can remember. Posted on websites (Fred's), passed around
freely on many different sites and in many different variations. At
one time there was even models that were made from high quality
aluminum plates, but that link has long expired.

I wouldn't worry about making them at all.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 9, 6:45 pm, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

I've seen this mistake a thousand times. Literally.
DON'T FORWARD WARNINGS UNLESS YOU CHECK THE ACCURACY

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS investigate before you cry wolf. Please.

(sound of pulling hair from head. It's not very loud, as there's not much hair left.)

No need to SCREAM YELL BITCH AND COMPLAIN AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS.

I haven't seen that many caps in a post since the last bitch fight on
rec.woodworking.

And I am not sure Arch started a riot. FWIW, I have plenty of hair
left... I have a tendency to take these things in context.

I learned long ago that not all are as fluent in aspects of our
everyday lives as some. He might have helped someone if this had been
a real deal. Not everyone keeps up with the current hoaxes, scams,
schemes, etc., and more importantly some don't know how to look for
the information (I know, it is pretty easy) to validate some of
them.

For me, I took Arch's warning as a well meaning heads up, nothing
more. If interested, I would vet any warning myself to my own
satisfaction, not relying on his three sentence blurb. Apparently you
do the same. But as a point on Arch's side, I had forgotten about
that LIB thing a long, long time ago. For all I knew, someone had
resurrected the name with a whole new scheme behind it.

Having my eyeballs pulled out through my rectum by some punk ass
vandal that snuck a virus by my antivirus ware, my firewall router and
my network administrator before, I learned that vigilance is the key.
It was a time consuming and expensive lesson.

So what if Arch was given incorrect infomation? No need to scream
like a mashed cat and chastise someone that took the time to post a
three sentence warning. A simple response to ease his mind and maybe
instruct him on your style of vetting would probably have been more
satisfactory to you both.

If you need to, fire away. I will have my ear muffs/decapitalizer on.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 9 Apr 2007 19:50:32 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi Prometheus

Prometheus the brouhaha was about the patented Oneway centre marker,
it just got overblown IMO.

The next is as I recall it, The longworth chuck was devised by an
Australian and had shown it at the wood turners club he belonged to,
and was in the process of writing a how to make it for other wood
turners, but he never finished it, died of cancer I think it was, then
someone from the wood turners club set out and finished it, and then
it got put on the net, for all to use, to the best of my recollection,
there were some improvement/changes added by others and now there are
several sites that show the plans on how to build them, and also some
do have them for sale, I would say you are pretty safe making them
IMO.

Good deal- that was my understanding of the situation, I just figured
I'd ask in case it was a warning in disguise based on something I
hadn't heard of!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" writes:

Not everyone keeps up with the current hoaxes, scams,
schemes, etc.,

I wasn't sure either. No harm in that.

and more importantly some don't know how to look for
the information (I know, it is pretty easy) to validate some of
them.

That's why I posted the exact search string I used to verify it.

So what if Arch was given incorrect infomation? No need to scream
like a mashed cat and chastise someone that took the time to post a
three sentence warning.

I've been warning people for 30 years. If more people did so,
and LOUDLY, then perhaps the practice of forwarding hoaxes would stop.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

As a rule of thumb if the message tells you to
1) forward it on to every one in your address book
or
2) send it on Quickly
or
3 is reported in the media (and you have not already seen the media report)
DO NOT as it is a HOAX.
These messages work to clog the information highway with useless information
and are just another form of chain letters or SPAM if everybody actually
sent these on the e-mail system would be brought to its knees.

Urgent warnings are at times reported in the NATIONAL media but the best
ways of avoiding Viruses is to have a GOOD ANTI VIRUS AND TO KEEP IT UP TO
DATE with Virus definitions.
as for finding out about virus hoaxes go here
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/s...sks/hoaxes.jsp

:-)

"TonyM" tonym.le"at"comcast.net wrote in message
Best place to check out web myths, and other urban legends, is
www.snopes.com. My mother is constantly forwarding me emails full of
warnings. Someday I will get her to do her own research into their
validity.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

wrote:

(Arch) writes:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

At
one time there was even models that were made from high quality
aluminum plates, but that link has long expired.

There still are - I bought one of these and am very happy with it:
http://www.chickandduckmfg.com/index2.html

....Scott

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 9, 9:50 pm, "
wrote:

it got put on the net, for all to use, to the best of my recollection,
there were some improvement/changes added by others and now there are
several sites that show the plans on how to build them, and also some
do have them for sale, I would say you are pretty safe making them IMO.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I sure think Leo is right. Those plans IN DETAIL have been around as
long as I can remember. Posted on websites (Fred's), passed around
freely on many different sites and in many different variations. At
one time there was even models that were made from high quality
aluminum plates, but that link has long expired.

I wouldn't worry about making them at all.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Two warnings and a tip. (light sigh)

Hi Bruce, Thanks for your expert and friendly advice. It was very
helpful and should prevent my posting any more unchecked and misinformed
input to rcw. I had no idea of the damage my misguided efforts could do
to this fine newsgroup.

After my trip to the woodshed, I meekly visited Snopes and found that
the hoax was originally circulated in Portuguese and later translated
into English. Never did trust those Portuguese--English translations.

Snopes did warn me to be careful re _all PowerPoint presentations, so I
take comfort in my awful warning not being _totally inaccurate. I don't
know how to check on Snoke's validity, so I best not post another
unchecked PowerPoint warning. I heard that "Power tends to corrupt and
absolute power corrupts absolutely". Hope that's not another hoax.

I truly regret having contributed to your balding. My tip re the
concrete anchors apparently got lost in the consternation about my naive
warning. I hope my tip was acceptable, even if it wasn't helpful.

Arch

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Arch

Yes I think you're right anything MS is not to be trusted :-, has
also something to do with the corrupt and power thing you're
mentioning I think ;-)))

As for the sleeve anchor, it was a YES that would work, I know I do
have one of those somewhere ;-)), and I will keep that possible use
stored right there with that, never seemed to need a driver that would
drill concrete or wood, but one never knows, ;))

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Tip of The Day EricP UK diy 2 April 7th 07 11:27 AM
A little tip? The3rd Earl Of Derby Woodworking 2 October 2nd 06 07:18 PM
WARNINGS about Peter Amsel, Nancy Shaver and Attentionseekers.ca (internet extortion racket): [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 26th 06 03:47 PM
how do you clean your tip? Eric Electronics Repair 41 September 2nd 04 04:10 PM