Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Two warnings and a tip.

Hi Prometheus

Prometheus the brouhaha was about the patented Oneway centre marker,
it just got overblown IMO.

The next is as I recall it, The longworth chuck was devised by an
Australian and had shown it at the wood turners club he belonged to,
and was in the process of writing a how to make it for other wood
turners, but he never finished it, died of cancer I think it was, then
someone from the wood turners club set out and finished it, and then
it got put on the net, for all to use, to the best of my recollection,
there were some improvement/changes added by others and now there are
several sites that show the plans on how to build them, and also some
do have them for sale, I would say you are pretty safe making them
IMO.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Apr 9, 9:37 pm, Prometheus wrote:
2nd warning:

I remember the brouhaha here about making a patented center marking
device for square blanks, so _DO NOT_ [repeat, DON"T] sell these
knockoffs.)

Since I'm the guy offering Longworth-style chuck plates right now, is
that what prompted this warning, or is this specifically in regard to
center-marking guages? I don't have any interest in being blindsided
by a lawyer or three when a simple e-mail or phone call could probably
clear it up!

Of course, anyone who knows of or can make a solid claim of patent
infringement should let me know, and I'll refund the deposits I have
received for the plates and forget making them- but it seems like fair
use to me, as the plans are all over the internet and published in
magazines!