Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Can't stop making these things

Unlike other types of woodworking, turning lends itself nicely
to doing variations of on an idea - in a relative hurry - with not
much wood. That's the nice thing about turning. The problem
is stopping. Why not do that idea in almond? Add an inside
lid with finial. Add a contrasting wood base. Make the finials
with two or more types of wood - the variations can be endless
-and easy to do.

Posted some pics of the current crop in a.b.p.w. - same subject
line as this post.

Next up, some sculpting with a small sanding disk. Then maybe
some piercing - oh and some inlaying might be interesting - maybe
epoxy in an amathyst cabachon on the lid instead of a finial . . .

I've got all this quarter sawn English Sycamore waiting to become
doors and drawer faces for the kitchen cabinets I should be working
on - but this turned lidded boxes thing . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 24, 4:07 pm, charlieb wrote:
[...]

Ahhhhhh, the joys of addiction! It feels so good, don't it?

Do yourself a favor. Rather than spend valuable box making time making
kitchen cupboards, use the yellow pages and find someone to do it for
you! Takes much less time than making the damn things and everybody
ends up happy...think of all the extra boxes you could make!!

Mike

http://www.toymakersite.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike R. Courteau wrote:

Ahhhhhh, the joys of addiction! It feels so good, don't it?

Do yourself a favor. Rather than spend valuable box making time making
kitchen cupboards, use the yellow pages and find someone to do it for
you! Takes much less time than making the damn things and everybody
ends up happy...think of all the extra boxes you could make!!

I guess you've never spent hours laying out boards, flipping them,
sliding them, turning them - to get just the right grain pattern
and alignment for a door panel or a pair of panels. And you've
probably never gone through the agony - and ectasy of continuous
grain pattern acrossed two, three or four adjacent drawer faces
or spent time getting just the right graduations for a set of three
or four graduated drawers.

Making and assembling the parts is fun - but working out the grain
alignment is what can take a nice piece, even kitchen cabinets, from
good to NICE and sometimes REALLY NICE!

Besides, because I inherited a bunch of extremely nice chinese
rosewood furniture, the kitchen is the only place left that for
which I can make furniture, albeit "just" kitchen cabinets. (do
I get points from the english majors for avoiding a dangling
preposition?) NOTHING I'll ever make will come close to the
look of the chinese pieces, or the quality of the craftsmanship.

But I've done some pretty nice "shop" furniture

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D...ssDrawers.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/G...gCabinet3.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/S...gCenter10.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D.../CBbench0.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/C...redDoors0.html

and some "outdoor furniture"

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/B...aiStands1.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/B...aiStands6.html

Fun stuff this woodworking thing. So many ways to go, so many
techniques
to learn - so many types of wood to play with!

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message

And you've
probably never gone through the agony - and ectasy of continuous
grain pattern acrossed two, three or four adjacent drawer faces
or spent time getting just the right graduations for a set of three
or four graduated drawers.

My first "real" woodworking project was my router table. There are a half
dozen drawers with plywood fronts. I marked the pieces to keep the plywood
"grain" aligned. For reasons I no longer recall I cut an extra front for
the smaller upper drawers. You can probably guess... I didn't notice until
the finish was dry and the "spare" drawer front cut up for a jig that the
grain was messed up. Yup, I used the spare in place of the top drawer
front. ;-)

-- Mark