Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike R. Courteau Mike R. Courteau is offline

Default Can't stop making these things

On Feb 24, 4:07 pm, charlieb wrote:
Unlike other types of woodworking, turning lends itself nicely
to doing variations of on an idea - in a relative hurry - with not
much wood. That's the nice thing about turning. The problem
is stopping. Why not do that idea in almond? Add an inside
lid with finial. Add a contrasting wood base. Make the finials
with two or more types of wood - the variations can be endless
-and easy to do.

Posted some pics of the current crop in a.b.p.w. - same subject
line as this post.

Next up, some sculpting with a small sanding disk. Then maybe
some piercing - oh and some inlaying might be interesting - maybe
epoxy in an amathyst cabachon on the lid instead of a finial . . .

I've got all this quarter sawn English Sycamore waiting to become
doors and drawer faces for the kitchen cabinets I should be working
on - but this turned lidded boxes thing . . .

charlie b

Ahhhhhh, the joys of addiction! It feels so good, don't it?

Do yourself a favor. Rather than spend valuable box making time making
kitchen cupboards, use the yellow pages and find someone to do it for
you! Takes much less time than making the damn things and everybody
ends up happy...think of all the extra boxes you could make!!

Mike

http://www.toymakersite.com