David Pearson

Default Stupid things not to when making a ceiling...

.... that I did anyway.

1. Put the joists so close to the walls that you cannot fit your
drill in to put up perimeter noggings.

2. When up a ladder, lean on a deadman, and so almost
become a deadman yourself. (Got away with it this time!).

Still sweating.

Brian G

David Pearson wrote:
... that I did anyway.

1. Put the joists so close to the walls that you cannot fit your
drill in to put up perimeter noggings.

If joists are that close to the wall, why do you need noggins? Also why do
you need a drill for noggins? Hammer and nails are the right weapons for
this job! This is from an old carpenter who has literally put plasterboard
up by the ton on ceilings over the years.

2. When up a ladder, lean on a deadman, and so almost
become a deadman yourself. (Got away with it this time!).

Works wonders for the concentration. An even better shock is to 'walk' off
the end of a low scaffold when nailing plasterboard up on to the ceiling and
forgetting to occasionally look down :-(

Still sweating.

Yep, know the feeling LOL

Brian G

Roger

The message
from "David Pearson" contains these words:

.... that I did anyway.

1. Put the joists so close to the walls that you cannot fit your
drill in to put up perimeter noggings.

Why would you want to? But if you did you can always drill through from
the other side of the joist.

2. When up a ladder, lean on a deadman, and so almost
become a deadman yourself. (Got away with it this time!).

What do you mean by a deadman? To me a deadman is a mountaineering
device used for belaying in snow.

Still sweating.

These days I seem to sweat if I as much as lift a little finger. :-)

--
Roger Chapman
Henry

2. When up a ladder, lean on a deadman, and so almost
become a deadman yourself. (Got away with it this time!).

What do you mean by a deadman? To me a deadman is a mountaineering
device used for belaying in snow.

An empty bottle? You really shouldn't drink and climb ladders - v.
dangerous.

Henry

Chris Bacon

Roger wrote:
What do you mean by a deadman? To me a deadman is a mountaineering
device used for belaying in snow.

*Clue* - this is uk.d-i-y, not alt.mountaineering.look-at-me.

John Rumm

Roger wrote:

What do you mean by a deadman? To me a deadman is a mountaineering
device used for belaying in snow.

Bit of 2x1" a few inches longer than the floor to ceiling height, with a
couple of feet of 2x1" screwed across the top so that it looks like a
large "T". Offer your plasterboard to the ceiling, and spring the
deadman into position under the board - it then leaves you free to tweak
the board position and fix it, without any of the whinging you get from
a human helper because his/her arms hurt! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Roger

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

What do you mean by a deadman? To me a deadman is a mountaineering
device used for belaying in snow.

Bit of 2x1" a few inches longer than the floor to ceiling height, with a
couple of feet of 2x1" screwed across the top so that it looks like a
large "T". Offer your plasterboard to the ceiling, and spring the
deadman into position under the board - it then leaves you free to tweak
the board position and fix it, without any of the whinging you get from
a human helper because his/her arms hurt! ;-)

Thanks.

I have made something similar in the past. (2 legs and nails rather than
screws.) Just never come across the term before.

--
Roger Chapman
Roger

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

What do you mean by a deadman? To me a deadman is a mountaineering
device used for belaying in snow.

*Clue* - this is uk.d-i-y, not alt.mountaineering.look-at-me.

Run out of useful clues?
David Pearson

"Brian G" wrote in message
David Pearson wrote:
... that I did anyway.

1. Put the joists so close to the walls that you cannot fit your
drill in to put up perimeter noggings.

If joists are that close to the wall, why do you need noggins? Also why
do
you need a drill for noggins? Hammer and nails are the right weapons for
this job! This is from an old carpenter who has literally put
plasterboard
up by the ton on ceilings over the years.

Hmmm... there is a gap almost as long as a drill-and-bit
between the joist and wall. So I reckon (and I have been
wrong before once or twice ;-) that the plasterboard would
sag at the edges. So I will use chunky beading below
instead.

As for hammer and nails... nail into hard concrete blocks?
If it can be done, I can't do it!

Regards,
David P (OP)

David Pearson

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "David Pearson" contains these
words:

.... that I did anyway.

1. Put the joists so close to the walls that you cannot fit your
drill in to put up perimeter noggings.

Why would you want to? But if you did you can always drill through from
the other side of the joist.

Yes, that's the one. Should have done that. As my da said,
I should have used my noggin!

-DP (OP)