Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Need advice on wiring for a new ceiling fan

I am going to install a new ceiling fan and would appreciate any advice
the group can offer me. I would like this to go as smoothly as
possible and not burn the house down

The bedroom is on the 2nd floor of a 2 story house and does not have
any fixture in the ceiling at this time. The attic is unfinished and
is filled with about 18 inches of pink insulation (I assume
fiberglass). The room is basically square with a switch for a switched
outlet right inside the door. The outlet is across the room on the
opposite wall. Only the upper receptacle is switched, the lower is
not. I have a videotape of the house under construction where I went
over all the electrical before the drywall was installed, so I know
where the wires are running behind the walls.

The lower part of the outlet is powered by a 14/3 line that comes in
from a series of other outlets outlining the room. The upper switched
outlet is powered by a different 14/3 line that goes from the switch at
the door up into the attic and across to the opposite wall and then
drops down.

My plan:

1) Switch off the breaker, put up "working" sign and test the outlets
in the room to ensure power is off
2) Replace the outlet with a new one where the "tab" is not broken.
I'll use the 14/3 line that is currently powering the lower receptacle.
3) Cap off the switched 14/3 line with wire caps and electrical tape to
keep them out of the way for now
4) Turn power back on and test to ensure that the outlets all work and
that the upper outlet is no longer switched.

At this point I should have basically made the switch non-functional.

5) Do the same steps as in 1 to make sure power is off again
6) Find center point in the ceiling where I want the fan
7) Using a drywall saw (and perhaps a drill to get a hole started) make
an opening the correct size for a metal fixture box that is rated for
ceiling fans
8) Place something in the hole that sticks up far enough into the attic
so that I can see where the hole is.
9) Uncap the switched 14/3 line at the outlet so that I can pull the
line up into the attic
10) Go up into the attic. (using mask, long sleeves, gloves etc. due
to the fiberglass)
11) Lay a few 1x10 boards over the rafters to avoid accidentally
putting a foot the wrong place and ending up with a hole in my ceiling.
12) Brace the fan box between the joists
13) Pull the 14/3 line to the box and cut off excess
14) Exit attic
15) Wire the ceiling fan per the manufacturers instructions. I only
want the light to be switched, not the fan, so I'll connect the red
live to the fans light wire and the black "always live" to the fan
motor wires. Then I'll connect the neutral and the grounds (not
together obviously).
16) Hook up the fan to the ceiling
17) Test it
18) Gloat to the wife that I really could do this myself

Questions:
a) Is this the correct procedure? Would it work? Did I miss anything?
etc.

b) Should I just cut the 14/3 already in the wall so that if I/someone
wants to return the outlet to the current state they don't have to fish
line through the wall? Is it ok to leave the wire in the wall that is
capped at both ends?

c) Should I be stapling the wire to the joists every foot or so? The
current wires (according to my videotape) are not secured at all, they
just lie up there.

d) Any other comments and criticisms are welcome.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I will get a stud finder and try and
center the fan between 2 joists. Then I'll cut the hole the size of
my box. Then I'll go up to measure and cut a 2x4 to fit between the
joists.

I am just finishing up painting 7 rooms, so we have tons of tarps and
plastic around. Depending on how much insulation comes down I was
thinking about either going up and clearing away as much as possible
before I cut my hole and/or shopvac'ing up the bit that comes down and
throwing it back up in the attic.

Thanks for your help.