Andy Hill

6) Find center point in the ceiling where I want the fan

Make sure to use a studfinder to make sure you're not going to saw through one
of the ceiling joists. In a retrofit situation like this, I'd probably try to
center the box between joists and frame in a support to support the box. There
are other approaches, 'tho.

Also, be sure to put down some painter's plastic (the real thin stuff) under the
hole -- you're going to have drywall dust and a big rain of fiberglas when you
cut the hole. If you'd rather not have the fiberglas rain, drill a starter
hole and stick something up through the insulation, then go up and clear it out
of the way before cutting the main hole. An additional trip to the attic,
'tho.