Default New kitchen ceiling questions

I am putting recessed mains halogen lights in my kitchen. These will be
in a ceiling that I won't be able to access from above, once in place
(it is a single story extenstion, with a pitched roof, but no room for
a loft hatch). I am using crimped connections as a result of this
inaccessbility. I have a couple of questions that I hope this group can
assist with.

1. I am putting in a completely new plasterboard ceiling. As I put this
in I will also be adding insulation. How critical is it to leave a gap
around where the lights will be. My intention was to have the cable
lying between the joist. Then cut a hole in the ceiling after
plastering and pull the cable through for connection. At the same time
making a small hole in insulation. Presumeably, neither fibreglass or
rockwool are flammable so I figured this would be ok. I have heard
about using plant pots, but these will be tricky to get in place whilst
putting the ceiling in place. What are the pros/cons of this approach?

2. In conditions of heavy wind and rain, I get a few small leaks, but
less than a egg cup full. This appears to be due to the roof lining
which needs replacement. Unfortunately, due to time constraints and the
weather, I am only intending to lift the tiles and replace this next
year. Is there anything I can do to prevent this damaging the newly
plastered ceiling. The previous ceiling seemed to have withstood this
fairly well.

Thanks, Tim

TheScullster

From experience, be aware that some (maybe just the more expensive
directional type) light fittings have gaps between outer housing and bulb
mounting.
This allows all manner of creapy crawlies, likely attracted by the light in
the first place, access from loft space to kitchen (or in my case bathroom).
I made some covers for the "backs" of my fittings to keep these critters at
bay and also stop insulation covering them.
Is there no way you can accommodate a hatch?

Phil

TheScullster wrote:
From experience, be aware that some (maybe just the more expensive
directional type) light fittings have gaps between outer housing and

bulb
mounting.
This allows all manner of creapy crawlies, likely attracted by the

light in
the first place, access from loft space to kitchen (or in my case

bathroom).
I made some covers for the "backs" of my fittings to keep these

critters at
bay and also stop insulation covering them.
Is there no way you can accommodate a hatch?

Phil

Thanks

Unfortunately the loft hatch is out of the question due to the height,
about 3 ft tapering to nothing, but more importantly SWMBO doesn't want
one!!

Lobster

"TheScullster" phil-at-dropthespam.com wrote in message
From experience, be aware that some (maybe just the more expensive
directional type) light fittings have gaps between outer housing and bulb
mounting.
This allows all manner of creapy crawlies, likely attracted by the light

in
the first place, access from loft space to kitchen (or in my case

bathroom).
I made some covers for the "backs" of my fittings to keep these critters

at
bay and also stop insulation covering them.

Reminds me of when I once had to change a downlighter bulb in the bathroom -
I pulled out the bulb and was deluged with a shower of hundreds of dead
wasps, presumably they'd been living in the roofspace, came to investigate
the Bright Light and ouch... no more wasp.