jonni

Default Visible join on Kitchen Ceiling....

Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out in
preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls.
Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the
walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard
was joined originally

See picture - http://www.btinternet.com/~jonni/kitceiling.jpg

What would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging and
paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be possible
to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then smooth it off and
repaint?

Although it may not look it in the picture, the rest of the ceiling is
smooth, it's just the couple of lines of tape which are visible that cause
the problem

Any advice is appreciated

Jonni

PS: Incidentallly - I am also considering the 2 day plastering course
offered by these guys - any comments?

http://www.plasteringworkshop.co.uk/default.aspx

Set Square

jonni wrote:

Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen
out in preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat
the walls. Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed
along with the walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from
where the plasterboard was joined originally

See picture - http://www.btinternet.com/~jonni/kitceiling.jpg

What would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging
and paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be
possible to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then
smooth it off and repaint?

Although it may not look it in the picture, the rest of the ceiling is
smooth, it's just the couple of lines of tape which are visible that
cause the problem

Any advice is appreciated

I don't think you can get rid of that *without* skimming the ceiling.
Anything else would be spoiling the ship for a hap'th of tar!

PS: Incidentallly - I am also considering the 2 day plastering course
offered by these guys - any comments?

In my view, plastering is one of those skills which you only acquire after
doing a *lot* of it. Doing the occasional DIY job isn't sufficient to keep
your hand in. I have to confess that if I need to plaster anything bigger
than one square foot, I pay someone to do it for me!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Chris J Dixon

jonni wrote:

Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out in
preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls.
Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the
walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard
was joined originally

See picture - http://www.btinternet.com/~jonni/kitceiling.jpg

What would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging and
paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be possible
to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then smooth it off and
repaint?

I wouldn't touch the existing tape. Just get a caulking tool,
similar to
http://www.toolbank.com/product.cfm?...3F145C6s76 no

and use this to spread ordinary filler over the joint. Although
there will obviously be a small lump over the join, in practice
the slope can be so gradual that it is not noticeable when
finished.

This is what *ought* to have been done when the tape was
originally applied.

Regards
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"jonni" writes:
Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out in
preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls.
Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the
walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard
was joined originally

See picture - http://www.btinternet.com/~jonni/kitceiling.jpg

What would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging and
paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be possible
to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then smooth it off and
repaint?

I would arrange for the ceiling to be skimmed.
It's not going to add much to the cost if the
plasterer is turning up anyway.

PS: Incidentallly - I am also considering the 2 day plastering course
offered by these guys - any comments?

http://www.plasteringworkshop.co.uk/default.aspx

It's £200 more expensive than the 2 day one I did at the
Aldershot Building Centre, which was excellent. That one was
done in groups of 16 people. They also did a 5 day plastering
course, and the full C&G course. Trouble is they're usually
booked up a year in advance, and they didn't take bookings
any further out than that. I got on it by going onto a
standby queue saying I could fill in at a days notice.

Nearer to you, you might also try Barnfield College in Luton.
They certainly used to do brick laying, and probably do
plastering too. They were good for the C&G electrical courses
I did some ~8 years ago. There's also Dunstable College, but
that seems to be rather disorganised, and has had some bad
press where people who've done courses leading to qualifications
have failed to get the qualification because of screwups by
the college and/or lecturers.

--
Andrew Gabriel