Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"jonni" writes:
Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out in
preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls.
Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the
walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard
was joined originally

See picture - http://www.btinternet.com/~jonni/kitceiling.jpg

What would you recommend the best solution to rectify this? Arranging and
paying for the ceiling to be skimmed seems excessive, would it be possible
to remove the tape and use a filler with flexibility then smooth it off and
repaint?

I would arrange for the ceiling to be skimmed.
It's not going to add much to the cost if the
plasterer is turning up anyway.

PS: Incidentallly - I am also considering the 2 day plastering course
offered by these guys - any comments?

http://www.plasteringworkshop.co.uk/default.aspx

It's £200 more expensive than the 2 day one I did at the
Aldershot Building Centre, which was excellent. That one was
done in groups of 16 people. They also did a 5 day plastering
course, and the full C&G course. Trouble is they're usually
booked up a year in advance, and they didn't take bookings
any further out than that. I got on it by going onto a
standby queue saying I could fill in at a days notice.

Nearer to you, you might also try Barnfield College in Luton.
They certainly used to do brick laying, and probably do
plastering too. They were good for the C&G electrical courses
I did some ~8 years ago. There's also Dunstable College, but
that seems to be rather disorganised, and has had some bad
press where people who've done courses leading to qualifications
have failed to get the qualification because of screwups by
the college and/or lecturers.

--
Andrew Gabriel