barry martin

Default slope ceiling vs raised c

Mark:

MC my mom is adding 2 rooms to her house and the architect has drawn a
MC plan which calls for a 9' coffer ceiling.
MC one contractor says that a slope ceiling is better while the other
MC says that a raised ceiling is better.

Depends on how much is sloped/indented. If a lot of sloped area the
room will look a little tunnel-like. Have a 1«-story house; the
Computer Room is upstairs with the sloped option (due to the
roofline). The bottom of the slope is at about 5' in the main
section. Hard to put up pictures, etc. I know your slope isn't going
to be that much.

MC the raised ceiling will look something like this:
MC
MC ----------------
MC __I I__ --- this is the ceiling; it doesn't have
MC a slope
MC | |
MC | | ---- this is the wall
MC

I would probably go with this option. Might consider putting indirect
lighting at the bottom of where the "I" line is -- if fluorescent need
the correct type of dimmer; the usual incandescent dimmer will not
work properly.

MC one contractor says that with the raised ceiling, she can put crown
MC molding around the ceiling but with the slope you can' t do much so it
MC won't look as nice. but another contractor says that slope ceiling
MC will make the rooms look more spacious.

The junctions with the sloped par of the ceiling in here are
noticeably wavey BUT it definately was not a professional job. The
vertical walls are fine AFAICT (wallpapered) but the slope and ceiling
are amateurish. As the contractor indicated, cannot use crown
molding.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Can you sentence a homeless man to house arrest?
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
HA HA Budys Here

From: (barry martin)
Date: 11/20/2003 10:21 AM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Unless this room is a kitchen, I'd go with rope light, not flourescent.