Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Can't stop making these things

Mike R. Courteau wrote:

Ahhhhhh, the joys of addiction! It feels so good, don't it?

Do yourself a favor. Rather than spend valuable box making time making
kitchen cupboards, use the yellow pages and find someone to do it for
you! Takes much less time than making the damn things and everybody
ends up happy...think of all the extra boxes you could make!!

I guess you've never spent hours laying out boards, flipping them,
sliding them, turning them - to get just the right grain pattern
and alignment for a door panel or a pair of panels. And you've
probably never gone through the agony - and ectasy of continuous
grain pattern acrossed two, three or four adjacent drawer faces
or spent time getting just the right graduations for a set of three
or four graduated drawers.

Making and assembling the parts is fun - but working out the grain
alignment is what can take a nice piece, even kitchen cabinets, from
good to NICE and sometimes REALLY NICE!

Besides, because I inherited a bunch of extremely nice chinese
rosewood furniture, the kitchen is the only place left that for
which I can make furniture, albeit "just" kitchen cabinets. (do
I get points from the english majors for avoiding a dangling
preposition?) NOTHING I'll ever make will come close to the
look of the chinese pieces, or the quality of the craftsmanship.

But I've done some pretty nice "shop" furniture

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D...ssDrawers.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/G...gCabinet3.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/S...gCenter10.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D.../CBbench0.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/C...redDoors0.html

and some "outdoor furniture"

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/B...aiStands1.html

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/B...aiStands6.html

Fun stuff this woodworking thing. So many ways to go, so many
techniques
to learn - so many types of wood to play with!

charlie b