Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sanding is like smoking cigars

When I was in college I smoked 5 cent King Edwards. From there it was
White Owls at 10 cents each. When I went off to university there was a
tobacco shop nearby so I got to liking 50 cent, 75 cent and even $1
cigars. That's when I quit. Couldn't afford it.

Until I got hooked on turning, I was satisfied with sandpaper. It really
looked like sand stuck to glue paper. On a rotating bowl, that stuff is
poof and it is gone. I was ordering some better paper and found several
brands that I liked. They had Mirka Royal 240 grit on closeout so I
tried a pack of that. It was a new league of sanding. Now I am wondering
about ordering some in other grits. It is about $25 plus shipping for 50
sheets. Maybe I should have stayed with cigars and forgot about wood
turning.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man's got to know his limitations.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

No need trying to put on airs, Gerald. We all know you started with
grape vine, upgraded to rabbit tobacco, then on to sweepings from
covered bridges. Store bought stogies indeed! When wings went to 14
cents a pack, it was bull durham and cigarette paper for me, but sick as
I've ever been was after swallowing a Brown's mule chew. That's when I
quit.

The Japanese use bundles of 'end grain' reed instead of sandpaper to
smooth their kokechi dolls. If you saved any King Edwards stubs, you
might want to try one on your next spindle.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sanding is like smoking cigars, OT

When I was in college, I started smoking a pipe. First, it was a cheap one
that came with two packs of Middleton's Cherry Blend. Then, I moved up a
notch or two. Soon, I was smoking a $90.00 Preben Holm Danish free-style
and a few Ben Wades and a custom blend of tobacco.

I too, ran the cigar gambit. First King Edwards, then Roi-tans, then White
Owls. Then, I wandered into a small tobacco shop at lunch time and wondered
who in Hell would pay $2.55 for a damned cigar? (A nice Macanudo, at that.)
I bought it and never looked back. Absolutely no comparison! No more King
Edwards, Roi-tans or White Owls for me. Maybe an occasional Dutch Masters
in a real pinch. I never smoked very many cigars, but a good Macanudo or
Partagas is mighty hard to beat. You get what you pay for, be it lathes,
sandpaper or cigars!

Barry

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:22:32 -0500, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

When I was in college, I started smoking a pipe. First, it was a cheap one
that came with two packs of Middleton's Cherry Blend. Then, I moved up a
notch or two. Soon, I was smoking a $90.00 Preben Holm Danish free-style
and a few Ben Wades and a custom blend of tobacco.

I too, ran the cigar gambit. First King Edwards, then Roi-tans, then White
Owls. Then, I wandered into a small tobacco shop at lunch time and wondered
who in Hell would pay $2.55 for a damned cigar? (A nice Macanudo, at that.)
I bought it and never looked back. Absolutely no comparison! No more King
Edwards, Roi-tans or White Owls for me. Maybe an occasional Dutch Masters
in a real pinch. I never smoked very many cigars, but a good Macanudo or
Partagas is mighty hard to beat. You get what you pay for, be it lathes,
sandpaper or cigars!

Or beer, for that matter. I didn't get a taste for it until I was
about 24, and I was hanging out with a real snooty crowd- so now I
have a hard time drinking anything that comes in a big
brightly-colored 30 pack. I get a lot of squintly looks from the guys
after work when they're drinking a case of Busch Lite each, and I've
got a six pack of Summit or Goose Island.

But it's like you say- you get what you pay for. When I have a beer,
I like it to be beer- and not some kind of lightly-flavored water.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
No need trying to put on airs, Gerald. We all know you started with
grape vine, upgraded to rabbit tobacco, then on to sweepings from
covered bridg s.(snip)

That last one I'm not familiar with. Do you mean when horses pulled the
vehicles? You may have smoked dried horse apples but not me. The
bridges weren't covered in South Georgia, anyway.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man's got to know his limitations.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Prometheus, Prometheus - I bet you ride a BMW and roll your eyes at Harleys
.

TomNie
Icehouse - but the house is paid for.
(OK I'm sliding, maybe a Yuengling Black & Tan occasionally or some other
dark beer especially at a "beer" joint)

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
When I was in college I smoked 5 cent King Edwards. From there it was
White Owls at 10 cents each. When I went off to university there was a
tobacco shop nearby so I got to liking 50 cent, 75 cent and even $1
cigars. That's when I quit. Couldn't afford it.

When I was 14 I smoked a cigarette in the Gods at the Chiswick Empire, it
was so bloody disgusting I never ever went near another one, and I cannot
understand why anyone smokes at all.

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald, So much for regional humor and the www. Probably some turner,
somewhere is wondering if you really smoked kings and owls. No
covered bridges in North Florida, so I haven't smoked the sweepings
either. I had heard the expression in Northern Maine, meaning he'll
smoke anything. No moose in N. Fl. either, but in parts of N.E. "he'll
eat a moose stool if it's covered with catsup" used to have a similar
connotation.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
[...]

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

the above address will put you off cigars!!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You are a man after my own hart. I suppose you are from back east,
maybe Chicago area?????? I live in California about 15 min from
Disneyland. One day my wife goes into the can food store (discount
outlet) and buys me some Goose Island Christmas ale, since my nickname
at work has been Goose. That was the start of all my problems, ice cold
after work lug, lug ahhhhh. She buys some more then there is none
left and she talks with the guy that stocks the cases "no ma mm, we
don't have any more I finally got rid of that stuff". I cried big
tears. Now I have to wait for Christmas. I have been to their web sit
and drooled over their other beers. It is a brewery in Chicago and I
have not seen any other here. My youngest son has gotten into home
brewing and for fathers day bought me a selection of beers. I like the
Porters and the best is Young's Oatmeal Stout. Buds and MGD's have not
been the same since. Like anything once you have the good stuff it is
hard to go back. Next time you have a Goose Island beer think of the
guy in California that is waiting for Christmas. My next Oatmeal Stout,
I will toast your good health were ever you may be.

Bruce

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Now you guys haven't come close to dying until you rolled your own
cigar right out of the barn green tobacco, lit it up and had to smoke
the daggone thing right in front of the big guys when you were all of 8
years old in South Georgia. When you got through pukiing up stuff you
think you ate 2 months ago, coming close to going into a coma, and
promising God if he would let you live you would never, never, never
smoke any of that stuff again you had to go home and tell your Mama the
reason you had a green hue and a little cross eyed was because you had
been eating green plums. I am 64 years old, and I will remember that
cigar until the day I die. No sir, no more cigars for me I smoked
cigaretts when I turned about 15 until about a year ago.
Glenn....breathing better but still craving
Nashville, GA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bruce Ferguson wrote:

I*like*the
Porters and the best is Young's Oatmeal Stout.**Buds*and*MGD's*have*not
been the same since. Like anything once you have the good stuff it is
hard to go back.**Next*time*you*have*a*Goose*Island*beer*thin k*of*the
guy in California that is waiting for Christmas.**My*next*Oatmeal*Stout,

Look for some Black Butte porter. If I can find it in Spokane you should be
able to in L.A..

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:36:25 -0700, Bruce Ferguson
wrote:

You are a man after my own hart. I suppose you are from back east,
maybe Chicago area??????

About 5 hours north of Chicago. Close enough for it to be a
semi-local brand. Of course, work takes me to the Chigaco area a lot,
so it'd almost be fair to say that I live there as well these days.

I live in California about 15 min from
Disneyland. One day my wife goes into the can food store (discount
outlet) and buys me some Goose Island Christmas ale, since my nickname
at work has been Goose. That was the start of all my problems, ice cold
after work lug, lug ahhhhh. She buys some more then there is none
left and she talks with the guy that stocks the cases "no ma mm, we
don't have any more I finally got rid of that stuff". I cried big
tears. Now I have to wait for Christmas. I have been to their web sit
and drooled over their other beers. It is a brewery in Chicago and I
have not seen any other here. My youngest son has gotten into home
brewing and for fathers day bought me a selection of beers. I like the
Porters and the best is Young's Oatmeal Stout.

Ahhh... Now, if you get the chance- the Nut Brown Ale is a thing to be
savored. The 312 is junk- may as well drink any given domestic lager
and save some $$$. The Honker's Ale used to be really good, but I
think they changed the brew- either that, or my tastes changed. Too
bad they don't have it near you, it's a pretty good brewery. OTHO, if
you can get Summit Extra Pale, that's even better (especially with
peanuts)

Buds and MGD's have not
been the same since. Like anything once you have the good stuff it is
hard to go back. Next time you have a Goose Island beer think of the
guy in California that is waiting for Christmas. My next Oatmeal Stout,
I will toast your good health were ever you may be.

Sure will. I'd offer to send you a six pack, but I don't know that
it'd make the trip intact all that way.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 06:06:50 -0400, "Tom Nie"
wrote:

Prometheus, Prometheus - I bet you ride a BMW and roll your eyes at Harleys
.

Nah. I drive a Ford and keep a '76 Honda in my dad's basement for
some future time when I get around to putting blinkers and a new chain
on it. I'm actually pretty thrifty about everything but tools, sushi,
and beer. Gotta splurge on some things, or else all that overtime
isn't worth a damn.

TomNie
Icehouse - but the house is paid for.
(OK I'm sliding, maybe a Yuengling Black & Tan occasionally or some other
dark beer especially at a "beer" joint)

See, now there ya go- I'm not familiar with the Yuengling Black and
Tan, but I'm always up for a Bass (or Harp) and Guiness combo. Puts
me right to sleep, though.

advise on sanding alder panels. tor Woodworking 23 December 24th 05 02:52 AM
Sanding and finishing Walnut. Keith Woodworking 10 November 18th 05 09:52 AM
Sanding questions. sandman Woodworking 8 December 16th 04 03:56 AM
sanding your turnings william kossack Woodturning 7 October 19th 04 02:47 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM