Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner Barry N. Turner is offline

Default Sanding is like smoking cigars, OT

When I was in college, I started smoking a pipe. First, it was a cheap one
that came with two packs of Middleton's Cherry Blend. Then, I moved up a
notch or two. Soon, I was smoking a $90.00 Preben Holm Danish free-style
and a few Ben Wades and a custom blend of tobacco.

I too, ran the cigar gambit. First King Edwards, then Roi-tans, then White
Owls. Then, I wandered into a small tobacco shop at lunch time and wondered
who in Hell would pay $2.55 for a damned cigar? (A nice Macanudo, at that.)
I bought it and never looked back. Absolutely no comparison! No more King
Edwards, Roi-tans or White Owls for me. Maybe an occasional Dutch Masters
in a real pinch. I never smoked very many cigars, but a good Macanudo or
Partagas is mighty hard to beat. You get what you pay for, be it lathes,
sandpaper or cigars!

Barry

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
When I was in college I smoked 5 cent King Edwards. From there it was
White Owls at 10 cents each. When I went off to university there was a
tobacco shop nearby so I got to liking 50 cent, 75 cent and even $1
cigars. That's when I quit. Couldn't afford it.

Until I got hooked on turning, I was satisfied with sandpaper. It really
looked like sand stuck to glue paper. On a rotating bowl, that stuff is
poof and it is gone. I was ordering some better paper and found several
brands that I liked. They had Mirka Royal 240 grit on closeout so I tried
a pack of that. It was a new league of sanding. Now I am wondering about
ordering some in other grits. It is about $25 plus shipping for 50 sheets.
Maybe I should have stayed with cigars and forgot about wood turning.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man's got to know his limitations.