Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith

Default Sanding and finishing Walnut.

I'm in the final steps of sanding a project and have noticed some sanding swirl
marks. I have been very careful to step up the sanding grades from
120-150-180-220. I have even tried handing sanding this test board. I still
can't seem to remove all the swirl marks. I haven't used walnut before so I may
have to drop back and try the sanding process again from 120 grit or lower. Is
walnut that hard that it may require a lower sanding grit to start from. I have
paper from 80 for my sander. I'm using a festool 150/3 sander.
I was going to use Pore-O-Pac paste wood grain filler first then use a tung
oil.
Is there another way I should consider for a natural grain glass smooth finish.
I haven't used a wood grain filler before so this is all new.
Thanks again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ

The current issue of WOOD magazine has a really good write-up on finishing various woods. It should help.

--
PDQ

--
"Keith" wrote in message ...
| I'm in the final steps of sanding a project and have noticed some sanding swirl
| marks. I have been very careful to step up the sanding grades from
| 120-150-180-220. I have even tried handing sanding this test board. I still
| can't seem to remove all the swirl marks. I haven't used walnut before so I may
| have to drop back and try the sanding process again from 120 grit or lower. Is
| walnut that hard that it may require a lower sanding grit to start from. I have
| paper from 80 for my sander. I'm using a festool 150/3 sander.
| I was going to use Pore-O-Pac paste wood grain filler first then use a tung
| oil.
| Is there another way I should consider for a natural grain glass smooth finish.
| I haven't used a wood grain filler before so this is all new.
| Thanks again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Keith wrote:
I'm in the final steps of sanding a project and have noticed some sanding swirl
marks. I have been very careful to step up the sanding grades from
120-150-180-220. I have even tried handing sanding this test board. I still
can't seem to remove all the swirl marks. I haven't used walnut before so I may
have to drop back and try the sanding process again from 120 grit or lower. Is
walnut that hard that it may require a lower sanding grit to start from. I have
paper from 80 for my sander. I'm using a festool 150/3 sander.
I was going to use Pore-O-Pac paste wood grain filler first then use a tung
oil.
Is there another way I should consider for a natural grain glass smoothfinish.
I haven't used a wood grain filler before so this is all new.
Thanks again.

Get the Bob Flexner book -- say from Lee Valley -- and have a look at
his sanding chapter...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43047

Keep varsol or mineral spirits handy to clean the wood and look at a low
angle for scratches.

Sounds like you are not sanding for enough time at each grade. Spend
most of your effort at 120 grade and then move up only after the finish
is flat and consistent in appearance. imo

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

Actually Black and or American Walnut is pretty soft compared to Oak. I
never go past 180 on Walnut or any other wood and usually start with 150.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Keith" wrote in message
[...]

As Leon said, I start with 160-180 and move up from there. However, I
prefer a scraper for finishing walnut.
Secondly, swirl marks seem to show up only if I allow the sander to stop or
start while in contact with the wood.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

Keith wrote:

I'm in the final steps of sanding a project and have noticed some sanding swirl
marks. I have been very careful to step up the sanding grades from
120-150-180-220. I have even tried handing sanding this test board. I still
can't seem to remove all the swirl marks. I haven't used walnut before so I may
have to drop back and try the sanding process again from 120 grit or lower. Is
walnut that hard that it may require a lower sanding grit to start from. I have
paper from 80 for my sander. I'm using a festool 150/3 sander.
I was going to use Pore-O-Pac paste wood grain filler first then use a tung
oil.
Is there another way I should consider for a natural grain glass smooth finish.
I haven't used a wood grain filler before so this is all new.
Thanks again.

What type of sander are you using that caused the swirl marks?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Teamcasa wrote:

Secondly, swirl marks seem to show up only if I allow the sander to stop or
start while in contact with the wood.

Dave

swirl marks show up if you move the ROS too fast, also.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

What type of sander are you using that caused the swirl marks?

LOL... Probably the smartest response.. Especially if a Non -Random
orbital sander is being used.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

"WillR" wrote in message
Keith wrote:
[...]

I usually use the ROS sander for the initial sanding and finish with a
regular sander and 180 or 220 grit paper . In my case with a Rockwell 1/2
sheet sander .

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Keith wrote:

It's a random orbital 6" sander festool 150/3

What brand of paper are you using? Not all are created equal with
respect to quality control of grit sizes. I now only use Mirka brand and
have had excellent results over the more inexpensive Porter-Cable-type
branded home/hardware store selections.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05