Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Segmented Cookie Dish for Santa

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".
Haven't figured out how to get a really nice, deep bead on the base,
next to the bottom of the bowl. I think I'll have to make a small
tool for this as nothing in my limited arsenal worked very well.
Heck, I don't even own a bowl scraper. Need to come up with
a homemade cole jaw/donut chuck to finish off the base a bit nicer
anyway - this was just parted off.

Tools used: 1/2" bowl gouge, 1/2" skew, and a parting tool.
Time for completion: I lost count...

No finish has been applied yet, and the camera flash makes the wood
look oddly mismatched due to the light diffraction of the grain.

Now if I could get the wormy, pin-holed, spalted birch dribble cup to
hold milk, we'd be set for the fat bas.. uh... kindly old gent.

Top angle:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish01l.jpg

Top:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish02l.jpg

Bottom:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish03l.jpg

Talk about "Maximum Capacity":
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish04l.jpg

And yeah, I know it looks like a wooden speaker... ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

No finish has been applied yet, and the camera flash makes the wood
look oddly mismatched due to the light diffraction of the grain.

Looks Great!

Are you going to use Glow In The Dark Products for the finish? )

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

I like it!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Lobby Dosser said:

Greg wrote:

No finish has been applied yet, and the camera flash makes the wood
look oddly mismatched due to the light diffraction of the grain.

Looks Great!

Are you going to use Glow In The Dark Products for the finish? )

No, imported radium isn't in my finishing cabinet - and isn't likely
to be either... ;-)

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TerryB

I like it!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Bill Gooch said:

Wow, impressive

Thanks.
I hope to do more complex items, but had to start somewhere...
Needed experience laying out segments, tuning jigs and such.
Never turned anything this large in diameter, and it's a little
different than turning a regular bowl. Grain tearout can be a problem.

Now I can't decide whether to lacquer it, or just oil it.
We plan to use it (dust collector?), but not to immerse it in water.
Lacquer is quick, has a nice shine, and is fairly durable. Probably
food safe, if intact. Leaves no residue when handling.
Oil is quick, and is easily repairable. It can be food-safe.
Decisions, decisions...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You might look into walnut oil as a finish, if you're concerned with
food safety, but most all finishes, once fully cured, are safe unless
you eat them. In the case of shellac, it's used to coat tablets, like
asprin etc., so I guess it's safe. Friction polishes are fairly quick
and easy, and durable enough if you don't immerse or put in the
dishwasher.
I like the platter, nice tight joints and nice shape!
Have you considered a vacuum chuck for reversing your work? Easy to set
up if you have a vacuum source.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Greg G. said:

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".

And I decided to oil it:
(And Photochop out the background...)

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedDish07.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Greg, I like this piece very much. You mentioned doing more complex
work.
The restrained simplicity and choice of soothing woods and oil finish
are what works for me. I think it will 'wear well' with its owner. I do
not care for complex segmented forms that try too hard and your dish
finally explains why; it's that I don't like the disturbing busyness and
multiple glints of much of this art/craft.

Just my unlettered take, but I think you have found a successful niche
that will appeal to many who discriminate and you soon can afford
whatever gear you want. Simple usually beats complex. I won't say
"KISS", because this isn't a stupid piece.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DJ Delorie

Greg writes:
Can't afford a vacuum chuck right now, but have a pump.

You can make a vacuum chuck if you can tap a chunk of wood to match
your threads, or if your faceplate seals well enough.

So far, the chuck and tools have far exceeded the cost of the lathe.
It's a disease - I'm thinking a drug habit would be cheaper... :-o

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've put about 2-3x more into
accessories than the lathe.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've put about 2-3x more into
accessories than the lathe.

If that is true, it is time to buy a new lathe. It is important to
maintain a balance in your expenditures!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DJ Delorie

Harry Pye writes:
If that is true, it is time to buy a new lathe. It is important to
maintain a balance in your expenditures!

In my case, the lathe is a multi-tool, so I have a wider range of
accessories to support the various tasks I use it for.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

Greg G. said:

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".

And I decided to oil it:
(And Photochop out the background...)

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedDish07.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.

Excellent! IIRC, your first set of photos did not show the profile. I do
like it!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
WillR

Greg G. wrote:
Greg G. said:

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".

And I decided to oil it:
(And Photochop out the background...)

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...ntedDish07.jpg

FWIW,

Greg G.

You do good work Greg.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Arch said:

Greg, I like this piece very much. You mentioned doing more complex
work.
The restrained simplicity and choice of soothing woods and oil finish
are what works for me. I think it will 'wear well' with its owner. I do
not care for complex segmented forms that try too hard and your dish
finally explains why; it's that I don't like the disturbing busyness and
multiple glints of much of this art/craft.

Just my unlettered take, but I think you have found a successful niche
that will appeal to many who discriminate and you soon can afford
whatever gear you want. Simple usually beats complex. I won't say
"KISS", because this isn't a stupid piece.

Wow - Thanks. I can only dream of making money at this. But it sure
seems like the electronics and computer fields have lost their appeal
to me - unless you can stand working for bean-counters...

I know what you mean about the cluttered segmented turnings. I've
seen a few that made me shake my head and wonder what they were
thinking as they chopped up 10 species of contrasting woods and glued
them together into one large mass of butt ugly. ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

WillR said:

Greg G. wrote:

And I decided to oil it:

You do good work Greg.

Thanks. As I mentioned to Lobby, I'm pretty new at this.

I looked at your web site and some of your jewelry boxes.
Nice work as well. I started to build a jewelry box for SWMBO last
year, but decided against it due to the fact that I had already given
her a bandsaw box and didn't want to have to fill another box... ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Lobby Dosser said:

Greg G. said:

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".

I decided to oil it:
(And Photochop out the background...)

Excellent! IIRC, your first set of photos did not show the profile. I do
like it!

Thanks! It's the 7th thing I've turned. 8th if you include the silly
little cherry bell with clapper that is now on the Christmas tree.

I picked up some nicely figured Tiger Maple, Flamed Makore, and
Movinge veneers today. Over 63 square feet for $20. It seemed like a
good deal - but I've never heard of the last two. Was looking for
some contrasting but complementary wood for details on a segmented
vessel, but after looking more closely, I hate to waste the veneers on
a lowly pinstripe. :-\ I should just get some birch and dye it.

Ah, well...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
WillR

Greg G. wrote:
Arch said:

Greg, I like this piece very much. You mentioned doing more complex
work.
The restrained simplicity and choice of soothing woods and oil finish
are what works for me. I think it will 'wear well' with its owner. I do
not care for complex segmented forms that try too hard and your dish
finally explains why; it's that I don't like the disturbing busyness and
multiple glints of much of this art/craft.

Just my unlettered take, but I think you have found a successful niche
that will appeal to many who discriminate and you soon can afford
whatever gear you want. Simple usually beats complex. I won't say
"KISS", because this isn't a stupid piece.

Wow - Thanks. I can only dream of making money at this. But it sure
seems like the electronics and computer fields have lost their appeal
to me - unless you can stand working for bean-counters...

I find renovating houses more appealing these days -- and I think you
know what I mean.

I know what you mean about the cluttered segmented turnings. I've
seen a few that made me shake my head and wonder what they were
thinking as they chopped up 10 species of contrasting woods and glued
them together into one large mass of butt ugly. ;-)

One of these days I will duplicate your jig...

Greg G.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Even better with the oil on it.
Delayed intelligence: Mike Mahoney sells walnut oil on his site that
supposedly hardens, whereas raw walnut oil will stay soft. My daughter,
a latter day hippy in Santa Cruz, swears by it for her kitchen table
top and a bowl I made her.

I tried dying veneer with both alcohol and water based dye, was
unsucessful at getting the color all the way through the wood, no
matter how long I left it soak.
Please let us know if you succeed!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

Lobby Dosser said:

Greg G. said:

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".

I decided to oil it:
(And Photochop out the background...)

Excellent! IIRC, your first set of photos did not show the profile. I
do like it!

Thanks! It's the 7th thing I've turned.

I thought you'd been at this for years.

8th if you include the silly
little cherry bell with clapper that is now on the Christmas tree.

My first Real turning was a box. Terrific suction fit (Gentlemen, make
sure your toupes are anchored!), but it looked like a can of Rustoleum. I
thought about a series - like WD40, Raid, Pam, etc. But the suction fit
is difficult.

You are way ahead of where I was!

I picked up some nicely figured Tiger Maple, Flamed Makore, and
Movinge veneers today. Over 63 square feet for $20. It seemed like a
good deal - but I've never heard of the last two. Was looking for
some contrasting but complementary wood for details on a segmented
vessel, but after looking more closely, I hate to waste the veneers on
a lowly pinstripe. :-\ I should just get some birch and dye it.

Ah, well...

Greg G.

I don't recall seeing a turned, veneered object. How do you plan to do
this?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Lobby Dosser said:

My first Real turning was a box. Terrific suction fit (Gentlemen, make
sure your toupes are anchored!), but it looked like a can of Rustoleum. I
thought about a series - like WD40, Raid, Pam, etc. But the suction fit
is difficult.

You are way ahead of where I was!

Mine was also a lidded box made from green cherry.
(Although I still harbor some consternation about using the name "box"
to describe a round object...)

And although the fit was good at first, warpage slowly made the fit
less than stellar...

I hate to waste the veneers on
a lowly pinstripe. :-\ I should just get some birch and dye it.

I don't recall seeing a turned, veneered object. How do you plan to do
this?

It is glued between segment wedges or entire rings to provide a thin
line detail. You don't actually turn the veneer per se, or apply the
veneer to a turned object. Think of it as a really thick glue line
with grain. ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

I don't recall seeing a turned, veneered object. How do you plan to do
this?

It is glued between segment wedges or entire rings to provide a thin
line detail. You don't actually turn the veneer per se, or apply the
veneer to a turned object. Think of it as a really thick glue line
with grain. ;-)

Ah! Sort of like making banding.