Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Segmented Cookie Dish for Santa

Lobby Dosser said:

My first Real turning was a box. Terrific suction fit (Gentlemen, make
sure your toupes are anchored!), but it looked like a can of Rustoleum. I
thought about a series - like WD40, Raid, Pam, etc. But the suction fit
is difficult.

You are way ahead of where I was!

Mine was also a lidded box made from green cherry.
(Although I still harbor some consternation about using the name "box"
to describe a round object...)

And although the fit was good at first, warpage slowly made the fit
less than stellar...

I hate to waste the veneers on
a lowly pinstripe. :-\ I should just get some birch and dye it.

I don't recall seeing a turned, veneered object. How do you plan to do
this?

It is glued between segment wedges or entire rings to provide a thin
line detail. You don't actually turn the veneer per se, or apply the
veneer to a turned object. Think of it as a really thick glue line
with grain. ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.