Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Segmented Cookie Dish for Santa

Arch said:

Greg, I like this piece very much. You mentioned doing more complex
work.
The restrained simplicity and choice of soothing woods and oil finish
are what works for me. I think it will 'wear well' with its owner. I do
not care for complex segmented forms that try too hard and your dish
finally explains why; it's that I don't like the disturbing busyness and
multiple glints of much of this art/craft.

Just my unlettered take, but I think you have found a successful niche
that will appeal to many who discriminate and you soon can afford
whatever gear you want. Simple usually beats complex. I won't say
"KISS", because this isn't a stupid piece.

Wow - Thanks. I can only dream of making money at this. But it sure
seems like the electronics and computer fields have lost their appeal
to me - unless you can stand working for bean-counters...

I know what you mean about the cluttered segmented turnings. I've
seen a few that made me shake my head and wonder what they were
thinking as they chopped up 10 species of contrasting woods and glued
them together into one large mass of butt ugly. ;-)

Greg G.