Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Segmented Cookie Dish for Santa

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".
Haven't figured out how to get a really nice, deep bead on the base,
next to the bottom of the bowl. I think I'll have to make a small
tool for this as nothing in my limited arsenal worked very well.
Heck, I don't even own a bowl scraper. Need to come up with
a homemade cole jaw/donut chuck to finish off the base a bit nicer
anyway - this was just parted off.

Tools used: 1/2" bowl gouge, 1/2" skew, and a parting tool.
Time for completion: I lost count...

No finish has been applied yet, and the camera flash makes the wood
look oddly mismatched due to the light diffraction of the grain.

Now if I could get the wormy, pin-holed, spalted birch dribble cup to
hold milk, we'd be set for the fat bas.. uh... kindly old gent.

Top angle:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish01l.jpg

Top:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish02l.jpg

Bottom:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish03l.jpg

Talk about "Maximum Capacity":
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedDish04l.jpg

And yeah, I know it looks like a wooden speaker... ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.