Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Segmented Cookie Dish for Santa

said:

Even better with the oil on it.

Thanks. The oil really highlighted the color and figure.

My daughter,
a latter day hippy in Santa Cruz, swears by it for her kitchen table
top and a bowl I made her.

Perfect for bean sprouts and kelp sandwiches... ;-)
Common oils are fine finishes that are easily repairable.
Common mineral oil is food safe, widely available, and looks OK.
Vegetable oils can go rancid, however.

I tried dying veneer with both alcohol and water based dye, was
unsucessful at getting the color all the way through the wood, no
matter how long I left it soak.
Please let us know if you succeed!

Haven't tried it yet. Had some concern that the problem you describe
might exist. Maybe if I load a pressure cooker up with alcohol based
stain and cook it, it would penetrate. ;-)

(Something other than the walls and ceiling.)

FWIW,

Greg G.