Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Segmented Cookie Dish for Santa

Greg wrote:

Lobby Dosser said:

Greg G. said:

This is my first Segmented Cookie Dish. Walnut and Maple.
9 1/2" finished diameter turned on a lathe with a swing of 10".

I decided to oil it:
(And Photochop out the background...)

Excellent! IIRC, your first set of photos did not show the profile. I
do like it!

Thanks! It's the 7th thing I've turned.

I thought you'd been at this for years.

8th if you include the silly
little cherry bell with clapper that is now on the Christmas tree.

My first Real turning was a box. Terrific suction fit (Gentlemen, make
sure your toupes are anchored!), but it looked like a can of Rustoleum. I
thought about a series - like WD40, Raid, Pam, etc. But the suction fit
is difficult.

You are way ahead of where I was!

I picked up some nicely figured Tiger Maple, Flamed Makore, and
Movinge veneers today. Over 63 square feet for $20. It seemed like a
good deal - but I've never heard of the last two. Was looking for
some contrasting but complementary wood for details on a segmented
vessel, but after looking more closely, I hate to waste the veneers on
a lowly pinstripe. :-\ I should just get some birch and dye it.

Ah, well...

Greg G.

I don't recall seeing a turned, veneered object. How do you plan to do
this?