Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ornamental Turning Equipment

Hi,

I am a begineer in turning, just turned a small number of things untill
now.

Although I'm not at the level yet (and budget is limited) I have grown
to be interested in ornamental turning (books, pictures). But I can't
seem to find any modern equipment that supports this.

I even found a few sell ads for ancient equipment (Holtzapffel and
Lukin lathes) but I'm not interested in restoring or working by foot,
just in the advantages of using things like crowns (or cams) on my
turnings - which require a special headstock.

Can anyone recommend such equipment, or do I have to build my own (not
likely) from the designs in Holtzapffel's books.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Barnett

" writes:

Can anyone recommend such equipment, or do I have to build my own (not
likely) from the designs in Holtzapffel's books.

Sorry. I only know of a Guilloche attachment:

http://www.bealltool.com/lathewiz.htm

Quote:

The Wizard is essentially a router table for your lathe. It consists
of two parts: a Basic Unit which allows you to cut straight flutes,
beads, splines and tenons, and a gear-drive Spiraling Attachment for
cutting spirals on your turnings in six different pitches, right- and
left-hand.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

wrote:
Although I'm not at the level yet (and budget is limited) I have grown
to be interested in ornamental turning (books, pictures). But I can't
seem to find any modern equipment that supports this.

Teknatool made a device for ornamental turning:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Sp...ed/orn-faq.htm
I have not heard much about it, so I don't know how successful it was.

Did you check out the Society of Ornamental turners:
http://www.the-sot.com/

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi Meshel

There is a ornamental turners group/site I seem to recall but have no
link to it, you might be able to Google it.

http://www.turners.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Hyde

In article . com,
" wrote:

Hi,

I am a begineer in turning, just turned a small number of things untill
now.

Although I'm not at the level yet (and budget is limited) I have grown
to be interested in ornamental turning (books, pictures). But I can't
seem to find any modern equipment that supports this.

I even found a few sell ads for ancient equipment (Holtzapffel and
Lukin lathes) but I'm not interested in restoring or working by foot,
just in the advantages of using things like crowns (or cams) on my
turnings - which require a special headstock.

Can anyone recommend such equipment, or do I have to build my own (not
likely) from the designs in Holtzapffel's books.

Thanks!

Try this link for some good info:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I am a begineer in turning, just turned a small number of things untill
now.

Although I'm not at the level yet (and budget is limited) I have grown
to be interested in ornamental turning (books, pictures). But I can't
seem to find any modern equipment that supports this.

I even found a few sell ads for ancient equipment (Holtzapffel and
Lukin lathes) but I'm not interested in restoring or working by foot,
just in the advantages of using things like crowns (or cams) on my
turnings - which require a special headstock.

Can anyone recommend such equipment, or do I have to build my own (not
likely) from the designs in Holtzapffel's books.

Thanks!

=========================
Google "Nick Silva". He's an ornamental turner in Dallas, TX., and has/had
some ornamental equipment for sale back during the summer. I think he had a
home built rose engine as well as a commercial unit. (Don't remember what he
had for sale. HTH

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

wrote: I am a begineer in turning, (clip) I can't seem to
find any modern equipment that supports this. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe you don't realize that you are looking at one of the most intricate
and demanding fields of wood turning. Let me give you an example of the
kind of problem you willl have to deal with. Instead of the usual lathe
tools, you need power driven milling cutters. They have to be very sharp,
so the surface finish is good WITHOUT sanding, because ornamental turnings
are so intricate, and loaded with delicate sharp edges that sanding would
degrade them. But, if your cutter goes dull before you have completed an
entire "rotation" of cuts, you are screwed--you can never remove the cutter
to sharpen it and return it to the job without showing a break in the
rhythm.

There are so many things you can do with the tools you have--you have only
scratched the surface--I suggest you hold off on ornamental turning until
you have more background and skill.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 23 Nov 2005 06:11:52 -0800, "
wrote:
For more info on ornamental turning equipment go to:

http://www.legacywoodworking.com/
and for advice and ideas go to:
http://groups.google.com/group/Legacy-Ornamental-Mills

Hi,

I am a begineer in turning, just turned a small number of things untill
now.

Although I'm not at the level yet (and budget is limited) I have grown
to be interested in ornamental turning (books, pictures). But I can't
seem to find any modern equipment that supports this.

I even found a few sell ads for ancient equipment (Holtzapffel and
Lukin lathes) but I'm not interested in restoring or working by foot,
just in the advantages of using things like crowns (or cams) on my
turnings - which require a special headstock.

Can anyone recommend such equipment, or do I have to build my own (not
likely) from the designs in Holtzapffel's books.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moshe Eshel

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your answer, you are very corect that there is still so much
to learn in "regular" turning. Certainly I can't boast of being so
knowledgeable or adept at such a fine art.

I am well aware of the complications you talk about in ornamental
turning - and many more complications that you haven't mentioned. Also
I think it would be a good thing to mention that I'm not currently
looking to buy anything - just looking thank you :-)

However, it allows a turner to achieve many things that can't be
achieved normally with *just* a lathe, but many of the things that are
considered ornamental can be done using simple attachments to a
standard lathe (a precision boring unit for example) and working in
eccentric. This is what interests me - though I will probably wait
until I can turn well enough to create something I will be proud of on
my *normal* lathe, but I can't stop thinking about the next level (for
me at least) when I see some pictures of ornamental turning I am awed.
And YES I do need to learn how to sharpen better - no doubt :-) that's
why I took today a private sharpening lesson with my teacher - Eli
Avisera - who tought me all I know (which is - not too much).

I definitely need one thing more than anything else - more free time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

you know, a simple rose engine is really quite easy to make out of
wood and a piece of threaded rod - that will let you do a significant
amount of the ornamentation that one might want without much expense
at all.

On 25 Nov 2005 05:41:23 -0800, "Moshe Eshel" wrote:

[...]

Turning Bone - my observations Owen Lowe Woodturning 8 July 3rd 05 09:29 PM
turning cedar riverrat Woodturning 11 May 27th 05 04:27 AM
Sheet Metal Equipment Questions David Pidwerbecki Metalworking 12 May 24th 05 02:12 AM
Lucubrating on historical value of turning Owen Lowe Woodturning 33 April 1st 05 02:50 PM
Quality & Price check on AC equipment and install Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 10 December 1st 04 12:31 AM