Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Default Quality & Price check on AC equipment and install

I have the following quotes for an AC install on our *two* forced air
heating units and wanted to sanity check it for quality of equipment
and pricing. Location is New England and there are no significant pipe
routing or equipment location issues.

The quotes includes all installation (condenser, pad, refrigeration
lines, condensate removal) and equipment *except* for evaporator/coil
(already installed) and electrical (to be done by electrician).

Quote A: $5400
- (1) 13/14 SEER Lennox model HS26-030 - 2.5 Ton
- (1) 13/14 SEER Lennox model HS26-042 - 3.5 Ton

Quote B: $5370
- (1) 12 SEER American Standard, model 2A7A2030A - 2.5 Ton
- (1) 12 SEER American Standard, model 2A7A2042A - 3.5 Ton

Which is better?
Is the costing reasonable for equipment and installation (as above)?

Thanks,
Jeff
TURTLE

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

I could not say as to price for it being the upper states but they do seem a
little pricey to me. Here in Louisiana I would not be able to get those prices.
Here it would have to be a 15 or 16 seer to try to get up to that price here.
The Upper states always get more than here.

Now the most or only biggest thing that I would look at is the installer being
of a good installer and everything to a Tee installed. The installer can make
you or break you by how he installs it. Look at the installer very closely as to
doing a good job and also a real good job for that kind of money.

TURTLE

Red Neckerson

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote

I have the following quotes for an AC install on our *two* forced air
heating units and wanted to sanity check it for quality of equipment
and pricing.

As far as sanity goes, you are CRAZY if you don't get at least THREE
quotes....

HeatMan

[...]

American Standard is re-labeled Trane equipment (or is it the other way
around?). Lennox has a lot of proprietary parts that are high priced after
the warranty has expired.

I wouldn't do it for that price. I'd charge more.

m Ransley

If you spend a significant amount of money on cooling why dont you look
into even higher efficiency units 12 seer is not efficient compared to
16-19 seer units. Electricity is going up and as it does your payback
will be shorter. You will be living with that new unit for 15 yrs+

udarrell

In That northern climate, I would price shop until hell freezes over!
Your cooling season is short in the north!
Do not let them oversize the A/C system.

--
Shooting Skills - Leading Moving Targets - Ballistic lead Charts
http://www.udarrell.com/hunting_shoo...ics_frames.htm

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

[...]

Tekkie

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

[...]

Hey Jeffy, did either of the bidders do the calcs? Doesn't look like it.
Theow them out and get somebody good.
--
Tekkie
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Tekkie writes:
[...]

Both quotes were from same company... They appear to have done some
rough square footage calcs. What should they be doing?
Tekkie

Tekkie writes:
[...]

The HVAC guys will tell you Manual J & D they will measure insulation,
windows, siting, everything affecting heat/cool
--
Tekkie
Hugo Drax

[...]

You will not get those seers if you swap out half your system and keep the
inside system unless they match perfectly.

Hugo Drax

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If you spend a significant amount of money on cooling why dont you look
into even higher efficiency units 12 seer is not efficient compared to
16-19 seer units. Electricity is going up and as it does your payback
will be shorter. You will be living with that new unit for 15 yrs+

he lives in new england, probably only cools 2 months out of the year heh.