Art and Diane

Default Big trouble with CA glue

I've got some big trouble with CA glue. I had bowl that had been
roughed and dried on my Oneway chuck and found a crack as I finished
it. I took the chuck and all off the lathe and statrted pouring in a
bit of thin CA. It seemed to be taking quite a lot of glue and I found
the crack opened up under the surface and it was dripping down into the
works of the chuck. It cured before I had a chance to get it apart and
is now frozen solid.
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are there any
other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Art

Darrell Feltmate

Art
soak the chuck in acetone, blow it dry, check for movement. If none then
soak it again. If movement I would then soak it in a mix of oil cut 50% with
paint thinner.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Leo Lichtman

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote: soak the chuck in acetone, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If Darrell's suggestions don't work, I suggest submerging the chuck in a
coffee can half-full of motor oil. Put this in an oven for a couple of
hours, at 200 degrees or more. Then, wearing leather gloves, take the chuck
our and try to move the jaws. The heat should soften the glue, and the oil
will prevent it from re-adhering as it cools.

I would remove the jaws from the chuck before doing this, if possible. High
oven temperatures go into the range where you actually could lose a little
of the hardness of the steel.

Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

Put the chuck it in the oven at 400° for 30 minutes. Then operate the
chuck while hot should break the glues bond.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:49:38 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Art
soak the chuck in acetone, blow it dry, check for movement. If none then
soak it again. If movement I would then soak it in a mix of oil cut 50% with
paint thinner.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Art

If it had happened to my chuck, I would, (considering that CA is a
brittle glue) try to loosen up the chuck, I mean if on a tenon, try to
open, or recess try to close inwards, than grab a wooden or brass mallet
and rap the jaws, side to side in or out, I would bet the chuck will
loosen up, after that take apart and clean lube.
I would NOT heat it up to 400 Degrees, if the foregoing did not work but
than wood get the acetone or the special CA glue solvent.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are there

any
other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

ottomatic

"billh" wrote in message
. ..
If the acetone doesn't work why not try the solvent they sell for the
purpose of breaking CA bonds before any real exotic and perhaps damaging
attempts.

it isacetone - basicaly

Billh

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Art
soak the chuck in acetone, blow it dry, check for movement. If none then
soak it again. If movement I would then soak it in a mix of oil cut 50%
with
paint thinner.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

ottomatic

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Hi Art

If it had happened to my chuck, I would, (considering that CA is a
brittle glue) try to loosen up the chuck, I mean if on a tenon, try to
open, or recess try to close inwards, than grab a wooden or brass mallet
and rap the jaws, side to side in or out, I would bet the chuck will
loosen up, after that take apart and clean lube.

I would NOT heat it up to 400 Degrees, if the foregoing did not work but
than wood get the acetone or the special CA glue solvent.

why not 400 Fahrenheit, as in NOT Celsius, should not harm a metal chuck

Otto

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are there

any
other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Doug & Pat Black

Depending on the brand of glue, the shear strength could be as much as 3200
and the working temperature could be quite high. After 24 hours the glue
will have reached it maximum strength. I suggest the use of the proper
solvent supplied and sold by the manufacturer of the brand of glue you
bought as the best way to tackle the problem. I would try to dissassemble
the chuck as far as you can prior to the application of the solvent.

Woodturn

George

"billh" wrote in message
. ..
If the acetone doesn't work why not try the solvent they sell for the
purpose of breaking CA bonds before any real exotic and perhaps damaging
attempts.

$$$$$ is the reason. Acetone will take care of it. If my nose does not
deceive, the stuff they sell is an aromatic, rather than an aliphatic. Not
sure what it is exactly, but it works faster than acetone.

I soak tips in acetone when they get clogged from neglected tips or rushed
work. Since I have two or three in the stuff at a time, I can just exchange
for the appropriate feed rate and be back to work immediately.

George

"Art and Diane" wrote in message
I've got some big trouble with CA glue. I had bowl that had been
roughed and dried on my Oneway chuck and found a crack as I finished
it. I took the chuck and all off the lathe and statrted pouring in a
bit of thin CA. It seemed to be taking quite a lot of glue and I found
the crack opened up under the surface and it was dripping down into the
works of the chuck. It cured before I had a chance to get it apart and
is now frozen solid.
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are there any
other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Art

Thoughts for after you soak your chuck clean. Use that hardener atomizer in
the future, it does a number of things for you.

Always a good idea to spritz acid woods before using CA, even when you're
just trying to control the way that knot gives up its soft material.
Otherwise, it can take forever to set, and flow through, which will throw at
you when you start the lathe again.

Especially good idea to spritz already sanded pieces, so the stuff hardens
on the surface rather than penetrating and causing you sanding headaches or
dictating your finish choices. The crack will still suck it in.

Last, I like to use bark for medium fills. A burr mill grinds different
colors. I fill and soak until I'm almost at the surface, then I spritz
immediately after the scatter, so the fill doesn't have time to soak up CA
and become a shiny thing in a background of subdued oil finish. The bark
will absorb as if it were the bark that originally filled the crack.

Henry

400 F is hot enough to start removing the temper from the chuck steel. As
and experment try taking an old file and placing it in a 400 f oven for
about 8 hours. It will be soft enough to be cut with any other file you
have.

High speed steel can take a much higher temperature but not the chuck steel.

Henry

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are there

any
other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Dan Bollinger

400 F is hot enough to start removing the temper from the chuck steel. As
and experment try taking an old file and placing it in a 400 f oven for
about 8 hours. It will be soft enough to be cut with any other file you
have.

I seriously doubt if any of the steel in a chuck has been hardened.
Therefore, there is no temper to remove in the first place. However, even
it is has, and even if it is only carbon steel, plain carbon steel begins
tempering (very pale yellow) at 430°F, and goes up from there.

Most plastics begin loosing significant strength at around 275°.

Therefore, heat to 350° or so and you'll be more than safe.

Dan

Art and Diane

Thank you all,

I did get the jaws and spindle adaptor off with little trouble before
everything set up solid. I had already tried to break the bond by
smacking with a hammer, but nothing is budging. It's now soaking in
acetone. If that doesn't do it, I'll try the oven trick. In case
there are any others who are unfortunate (foolish) enough to have the
same problem, I'll let you know how everything works out.

Thanks again,
Art Learmonth

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are

there any

other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Dan Bollinger

It's now soaking in
acetone. If that doesn't do it, I'll try the oven trick.

Uh, make sure you don't toss that acetone soaked chuck into a gas oven!

Mike Paulson

Submerging the chuck in acetone will do the trick but have patience, it
won't work quickly but everything should be nicely disolved in a few days.
Even if you break the bonds by some other means, you still have to remove
the glue, so you might as well just do the acetone soak from the beginning
and be done with it.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are

there any

other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Art and Diane

I left it in overnight and all day today. Tonight I checked it out to
see if there was any movement. To my surprise it the chuck worked
perfectly. Just like new. I've left it in just to be sure, but the
problem is fixed. I never got a chance to check the heat method or what
temperatures worked best. If I had the thorough and disciplined
approach Steve Russel has, I suppose I'd glue it up again and try
cooking at different times and temps, but I'm just glad to get it freed
up. Someone else will have to make those experiments.
I'll leave it in for another day, then oil it thoroughly because I would
guess all lubrication is long gone. Thanks to all of you for the ideas
and thanks to Doug Black at www.islandwoodcraft.ca for offerring to
have his staff work on it if I couldn't solve the problem. I won't need
your help this time Doug, but I'll still stop into the shop this summer
when I'm on the Island.

Art Learmonth

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are
there any

other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

neill

On Mon, 9 May 2005 17:32:13 -0700, Art and Diane wrote

If I had the thorough and disciplined
approach Steve Russel has, I suppose I'd glue it up again and try
cooking at different times and temps

LOL!!

http://neillswoodturning.myphotoalbum.com

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Art

Glad to hear it worked out OK, and you or your chuck are non the worse
of it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Art and Diane wrote:

I left it in overnight and all day today. Tonight I checked it out to
see if there was any movement. To my surprise it the chuck worked
perfectly. Just like new.

woodgrinder

Art and Diane wrote:
[snip...]
I'll leave it in for another day, then oil it thoroughly because I

would
guess all lubrication is long gone. [snip...]

Good to hear it was so easy. I keep a quart tin of acetone in arm's
reach of the lathe, just in case my hand gets glued to the ways.
DAMHIKT :-)

I'd recommend some non-oily form of lubrication. I really like the
ones sold for gun use that contain teflon (eg, Dri-Lube). A cheaper
approach I've done for years (and it's GREAT for rust control) is to
get a 5 gal bucket, cover the bottom with canning wax -- aka paraffin,
in the US -- and then fill with paint thinner. Then dip or soak your
item. Voila! Penetrating lube, which leaves behind a non-dustphilic
lube. Wipe of the excess, and you're done.

Just be sure to cover the bucket when not in use, store in a safe
place, and have good ventilation. Aw, all the usual caveats... You
know the fire drill.

John

Maker of fine wood chips and sawdust