George

"Art and Diane" wrote in message
news:MSafe.55964$r53.5428@attbi_s21...
I've got some big trouble with CA glue. I had bowl that had been
roughed and dried on my Oneway chuck and found a crack as I finished
it. I took the chuck and all off the lathe and statrted pouring in a
bit of thin CA. It seemed to be taking quite a lot of glue and I found
the crack opened up under the surface and it was dripping down into the
works of the chuck. It cured before I had a chance to get it apart and
is now frozen solid.
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are there any
other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?

Art

Thoughts for after you soak your chuck clean. Use that hardener atomizer in
the future, it does a number of things for you.

Always a good idea to spritz acid woods before using CA, even when you're
just trying to control the way that knot gives up its soft material.
Otherwise, it can take forever to set, and flow through, which will throw at
you when you start the lathe again.

Especially good idea to spritz already sanded pieces, so the stuff hardens
on the surface rather than penetrating and causing you sanding headaches or
dictating your finish choices. The crack will still suck it in.

Last, I like to use bark for medium fills. A burr mill grinds different
colors. I fill and soak until I'm almost at the surface, then I spritz
immediately after the scatter, so the fill doesn't have time to soak up CA
and become a shiny thing in a background of subdued oil finish. The bark
will absorb as if it were the bark that originally filled the crack.