woodgrinder

Art and Diane wrote:
[snip...]
I'll leave it in for another day, then oil it thoroughly because I

would
guess all lubrication is long gone. [snip...]

Good to hear it was so easy. I keep a quart tin of acetone in arm's
reach of the lathe, just in case my hand gets glued to the ways.
DAMHIKT :-)

I'd recommend some non-oily form of lubrication. I really like the
ones sold for gun use that contain teflon (eg, Dri-Lube). A cheaper
approach I've done for years (and it's GREAT for rust control) is to
get a 5 gal bucket, cover the bottom with canning wax -- aka paraffin,
in the US -- and then fill with paint thinner. Then dip or soak your
item. Voila! Penetrating lube, which leaves behind a non-dustphilic
lube. Wipe of the excess, and you're done.

Just be sure to cover the bucket when not in use, store in a safe
place, and have good ventilation. Aw, all the usual caveats... You
know the fire drill.

John

Maker of fine wood chips and sawdust