Art and Diane

I left it in overnight and all day today. Tonight I checked it out to
see if there was any movement. To my surprise it the chuck worked
perfectly. Just like new. I've left it in just to be sure, but the
problem is fixed. I never got a chance to check the heat method or what
temperatures worked best. If I had the thorough and disciplined
approach Steve Russel has, I suppose I'd glue it up again and try
cooking at different times and temps, but I'm just glad to get it freed
up. Someone else will have to make those experiments.
I'll leave it in for another day, then oil it thoroughly because I would
guess all lubrication is long gone. Thanks to all of you for the ideas
and thanks to Doug Black at www.islandwoodcraft.ca for offerring to
have his staff work on it if I couldn't solve the problem. I won't need
your help this time Doug, but I'll still stop into the shop this summer
when I'm on the Island.

Art Learmonth

Mike Paulson wrote:

Submerging the chuck in acetone will do the trick but have patience, it
won't work quickly but everything should be nicely disolved in a few days.
Even if you break the bonds by some other means, you still have to remove
the glue, so you might as well just do the acetone soak from the beginning
and be done with it.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

In article GTwfe.63200$r53.23096@attbi_s21,
Art and Diane wrote:

Thank you all,

I did get the jaws and spindle adaptor off with little trouble before
everything set up solid. I had already tried to break the bond by
smacking with a hammer, but nothing is budging. It's now soaking in
acetone. If that doesn't do it, I'll try the oven trick. In case
there are any others who are unfortunate (foolish) enough to have the
same problem, I'll let you know how everything works out.

Thanks again,
Art Learmonth

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Hi Art

If it had happened to my chuck, I would, (considering that CA is a
brittle glue) try to loosen up the chuck, I mean if on a tenon, try to
open, or recess try to close inwards, than grab a wooden or brass
mallet and rap the jaws, side to side in or out, I would bet the
chuck will loosen up, after that take apart and clean lube.
I would NOT heat it up to 400 Degrees, if the foregoing did not work
but than wood get the acetone or the special CA glue solvent.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Art and Diane wrote:
Is there anything I can soak it in to dissolve the CA? Or are
there any

other options? Or do I now have a piece of junk?