dave @ stejonda

Default repairing minor damage to car door

Having been prevented by my NHS employer from parking in the empty staff
car park at night (this change of policy clearly being part of their
strategy to improve staff retention) I have taken to parking in side
streets. Unfortunately representatives of the local pond-life last night
chose to exercise their rights of freedom of expression by making two
holes either side of the lock in the passenger door in order to check
that I'm not so stupid as to leave the front panel of the radio/cd
anywhere in the car when I park it.

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.) Thus I have
wondered whether patching up the holes with a 'plastic metal' type of
product and applying some touch-up paint would be effective (the lock &
door still work) or whether I'd just be being a crazy cheapskate.

--
dave @ stejonda

UCE Spammer : : Bots please harvest
:::Jerry::::

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
news

snip

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on

1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is

worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.) Thus I have
wondered whether patching up the holes with a 'plastic metal' type

of
product and applying some touch-up paint would be effective (the

lock &
door still work) or whether I'd just be being a crazy cheapskate.

Saying the following in the absence of seeing the damage....

Speaking with one of my trade hats on, you're a skin-flint g, OTOH
and depending on the size of holes, if all you want to do is mask the
damage then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't effect a 'repair'
using some form of filler.

Chris Bacon

dave @ stejonda wrote:

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.) Thus I have
wondered whether patching up the holes with a 'plastic metal' type of
product and applying some touch-up paint would be effective (the lock &
door still work) or whether I'd just be being a crazy cheapskate.

It's a £200 car. Buy a good steering lock, don't leave valuables in
the car, fill the holes with filler, prime with a quick spray of top
coat from a spray can, and then give it a blast as far as possible
all over the door, stopping at convenient features if possible to
save paint. The car lock is to avoid the inconvenience of having to
walk/replace should someone steal it! I can't see why you've got FC
insurance, unless it costs you very little.
[news]

dave @ stejonda wrote:
[...]

pop down your local breakers and buy a door of the same colour

RT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dave @ stejonda wrote:
I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.)

As is paying for it?

Thus I have wondered whether patching up the holes with a 'plastic
metal' type of product and applying some touch-up paint would be
effective (the lock & door still work) or whether I'd just be being a
crazy cheapskate.

I'd try and find a decent one of the same colour in a scrappie.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lee

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
dave @ stejonda wrote:

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.)

As is paying for it?

Different car, but FC was *cheaper* than TPO on our Mondeo.
I'm sure that must somehow make sense to the companies concerned.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Capitol

Open up the holes to a suitable diameter and insert two plastic screw
covers/ hole fillers as a selling feature. Retain with a dab of silicone.

Regards
Capitol
Stuart

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:49:05 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

dave @ stejonda wrote:

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.) Thus I have
wondered whether patching up the holes with a 'plastic metal' type of
product and applying some touch-up paint would be effective (the lock &
door still work) or whether I'd just be being a crazy cheapskate.

It's a £200 car. Buy a good steering lock, don't leave valuables in
the car, fill the holes with filler, prime with a quick spray of top
coat from a spray can, and then give it a blast as far as possible
all over the door, stopping at convenient features if possible to
save paint. The car lock is to avoid the inconvenience of having to
walk/replace should someone steal it! I can't see why you've got FC
insurance, unless it costs you very little.

Last time I checked TPFT on my old Carlton it wasnt any cheaper than
FC .
Stuart
Neil Jones

"Lee" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
dave @ stejonda wrote:

I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.)

As is paying for it?

Different car, but FC was *cheaper* than TPO on our Mondeo.
I'm sure that must somehow make sense to the companies concerned.

The risk profile of people who insure their car TPFT is different from those
who choose FC - more reckless, thus a higher chance of the insurer paying
out on a claim. At some value of the insured car the premiums will cross
over.

Neil

Lee

Neil Jones wrote:
"Lee" wrote in message

Different car, but FC was *cheaper* than TPO on our Mondeo.
I'm sure that must somehow make sense to the companies concerned.

The risk profile of people who insure their car TPFT is different from those
who choose FC - more reckless, thus a higher chance of the insurer paying
out on a claim. At some value of the insured car the premiums will cross
over.

Ah, well that does make sense then. Especially with full NCB.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

dave @ stejonda

Thanks to all for your responses. I'm going to answer all at once
rather than blitz the thread with separate little posts.

To ":::Jerry::::" - yes, as far as this car is concerned I am a
skinflint.

To Rob Morley - A friend also said he'd take the car to a mate with a
MIG welder - problem is he's several hundred miles away. I'm also
tempted not to bother locking the car any more, at least not when it's
parked in that part of sarflunnen.

To Chris Bacon - The problem with a steering lock (I guess you mean one
of those things that fit between the steering wheel and a pedal?) is
that we have to remember to use it. That takes away some of the
convenience and when it's not actually used it's is another thing to
nick.

To RT & Dave Plowman - I've just looked into getting a door from a
breakers - have been quoted 50 quid for one that's a darker shade of red
(burgundy instead of cherry). Not sure that the colour clash matters,
tho' SWMBO has expressed horror at the mismatch. Would it be any cheaper
I wonder getting that fitted rather than getting the existing door
repaired? Think I'll keep looking.

and finally, to Capitol -
Open up the holes to a suitable diameter and insert two plastic screw
covers/ hole fillers as a selling feature. Retain with a dab of
silicone.

whaaaat are you on?????

--
dave @ stejonda

UCE Spammer : : Bots please harvest
[news]

dave @ stejonda wrote:
[...]

keep looking :-)

somewhere, there's one out there the right colour, £50 isn't a bad price

RT

Nick Atty

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:10:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
dave @ stejonda wrote:
I've been quoted GBP200 for effecting a repair to the door - this on a
1994 Peugeot 106 is probably as much as / more than the car is worth. (I
have fully comp' insurance but claiming would be crazy.)

I'd try and find a decent one of the same colour in a scrappie.

But then he'd also have to faff around changing the lock barrels, or
carry two different keys. Filling sounds easier.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

:::Jerry::::

"Nick Atty" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:10:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I'd try and find a decent one of the same colour in a scrappie.

But then he'd also have to faff around changing the lock barrels, or
carry two different keys. Filling sounds easier.

Not to mention faffing around trying to fit the thing, easy when
you've done a few, otherwise there could be all sorts of 'fun'
waiting....

:::Jerry::::

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message

snip

To RT & Dave Plowman - I've just looked into getting a door from a
breakers - have been quoted 50 quid for one that's a darker shade of

red
(burgundy instead of cherry). Not sure that the colour clash

matters,
tho' SWMBO has expressed horror at the mismatch. Would it be any

cheaper
I wonder getting that fitted rather than getting the existing door
repaired? Think I'll keep looking.

Cost will probably work out the same, what you save on having the
holes repaired will get swallowed up in removing one door and fitting
the other and to do the job properly it will mean more paint will be
used.

and finally, to Capitol -
Open up the holes to a suitable diameter and insert two plastic

screw
covers/ hole fillers as a selling feature. Retain with a dab of
silicone.

whaaaat are you on?????

:~)

No comment...

:::Jerry::::

"[news]" wrote in message
snip

keep looking :-)

somewhere, there's one out there the right colour, £50 isn't a bad

price

Needle in hay-stack time....

The Natural Philosopher

dave @ stejonda wrote:

[...]

Do it.

Plastic paddin, liquid metal,. rub down, and spray over the holes, then
a bit of T-cut and she's as good as new.

New peugot, anyway ;-)
Nick Atty

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:18:52 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Nick Atty" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:10:45 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I'd try and find a decent one of the same colour in a scrappie.

But then he'd also have to faff around changing the lock barrels, or
carry two different keys. Filling sounds easier.

Not to mention faffing around trying to fit the thing, easy when
you've done a few, otherwise there could be all sorts of 'fun'
waiting....

Like that nasty spring-clip thing that goes "ping" and nearly takes your
eye out, that I have unpleasant memories from my Cavalier youth.

--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

dave @ stejonda

In message , The
Natural Philosopher writes

New peugot, anyway ;-)