Dave

Default Home produced food

I have posted a question from this Asian chef before and he wants me to
find an answer to his latest question....

I have tried a google on this and got so many look-ups as to totally
baffled.

Here is my/his question.

If he makes packets of Bombay mix in his house, how does he find out
what rules and regs he has to obey? (food hygiene etc.)
He tells me that he has a fully tiled kitchen, but without making phone
calls to his local authority (a different one to mine) I am at a loss to
advise him.

TIA

Dave

dave

"Dave" wrote in message
I have posted a question from this Asian chef before and he wants me to
find an answer to his latest question....

I have tried a google on this and got so many look-ups as to totally
baffled.

Here is my/his question.

If he makes packets of Bombay mix in his house, how does he find out
what rules and regs he has to obey? (food hygiene etc.)
He tells me that he has a fully tiled kitchen, but without making phone
calls to his local authority (a different one to mine) I am at a loss to
advise him.

TIA

Dave

he will need to conform to the food safety act. he will need to be inspected
by the local authority. he will need to conform to health and safety at work
regs. he will have to read and write a food hygiene policy and display
notices. he may also have to have at least a basic food hygiene certificate.

we serve tea and coffee with biscuits and I have had to do all the above.
it is getting to the stage where we don't think it is going to be viable to
stay in business due to regulations.

if you do a search for food safety act and read that to start with.

Dave

Mary Fisher

"Dave" wrote in message
I have posted a question from this Asian chef before and he wants me to
find an answer to his latest question....

I have tried a google on this and got so many look-ups as to totally
baffled.

Here is my/his question.

If he makes packets of Bombay mix in his house, how does he find out
what rules and regs he has to obey? (food hygiene etc.)
He tells me that he has a fully tiled kitchen, but without making phone
calls to his local authority (a different one to mine) I am at a loss to
advise him.

The appropriate LA department will be very helpful. They're not dragons.

Mary

TIA

Dave

Dave

dave wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

I have posted a question from this Asian chef before and he wants me to
find an answer to his latest question....

I have tried a google on this and got so many look-ups as to totally
baffled.

Here is my/his question.

If he makes packets of Bombay mix in his house, how does he find out
what rules and regs he has to obey? (food hygiene etc.)
He tells me that he has a fully tiled kitchen, but without making phone
calls to his local authority (a different one to mine) I am at a loss to
advise him.

TIA

Dave

he will need to conform to the food safety act.

Thanks for that. I couldn't think of the act that regulated this.

he will need to be inspected
by the local authority. he will need to conform to health and safety at work
regs. he will have to read and write a food hygiene policy and display
notices. he may also have to have at least a basic food hygiene certificate.

Noted, thanks.

we serve tea and coffee with biscuits and I have had to do all the above.
it is getting to the stage where we don't think it is going to be viable to
stay in business due to regulations.

if you do a search for food safety act and read that to start with.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Dave (not the same one above though) :-)

Dave

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

I have posted a question from this Asian chef before and he wants me to
find an answer to his latest question....

I have tried a google on this and got so many look-ups as to totally
baffled.

Here is my/his question.

If he makes packets of Bombay mix in his house, how does he find out
what rules and regs he has to obey? (food hygiene etc.)
He tells me that he has a fully tiled kitchen, but without making phone
calls to his local authority (a different one to mine) I am at a loss to
advise him.

The appropriate LA department will be very helpful. They're not dragons.

Thanks Mary. I'll get him to make contact with the LA when he phones me
tomorrow.

He is reputed to be one of the top Indian chefs in the Lancashire area.
I am keen to see he gets a good foot hold on his future.

Dave

ShirKahn

Hope you folks don't mind a yank butting in here (it's what we do best
isn't it?)

While it may not be feesable to do the production in his home, often
times church kitchens (at least here in the states) already meet
health code and can be rented for very little. Another option may be a
local school's cafeteria.

I am helping a friend of mine do the same thing with his BBQ sauce. He
couldn't do the production at home but his church had a kitchen well
suited and already met the draconian health regs we have here.

While I know lableing requirements differ between the civilized world
and here in Oklahoma, one universal is the packaging. The regular
home-style foodstuffs bags you get at the local market aren't suitable
for resale in most cases. Your friend should look into getting a
heat-sealer and a supply of commercial grade packaging. Commercial
grade table top models show up on Ebay for sale in the UK with some
regularity (I know because every time my buddy thought he found one
that he could afford I'd have to point out it was for sale in England)

-christopher proctor

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:49:05 +0000 (UTC), Dave

ShirKahn wrote:

While I know lableing requirements differ between the civilized world
and here in Oklahoma, one universal is the packaging. The regular
home-style foodstuffs bags you get at the local market aren't

suitable
for resale in most cases. Your friend should look into getting a
heat-sealer and a supply of commercial grade packaging. Commercial
grade table top models show up on Ebay for sale in the UK with some
regularity (I know because every time my buddy thought he found one
that he could afford I'd have to point out it was for sale in

England)

Dave:
Thanks Mary. I'll get him to make contact with the LA when he phones

me
tomorrow.

He is reputed to be one of the top Indian chefs in the Lancashire

area.
I am keen to see he gets a good foot hold on his future.

Dave

I'm pretty sure tiled kitchens are regarded as unsuitable for
commercial use.

Heat sealers are remarkably expensive for what they are, look at Trend
catalogue for one (the stationers, not tool makers), but expect =A3100
for what is nothing more than a hinged thing, a bit of R wire and a
small transformer. Low sales volume I guess.

NT

Dave

he will need to conform to the food safety act. he will need to be inspected
by the local authority. he will need to conform to health and safety at work
regs. he will have to read and write a food hygiene policy and display
notices. he may also have to have at least a basic food hygiene certificate.

we serve tea and coffee with biscuits and I have had to do all the above.
it is getting to the stage where we don't think it is going to be viable to
stay in business due to regulations.

if you do a search for food safety act and read that to start with.

Thanks for that, I'll try a search for the FSA.

Dave
Dave

Mary Fisher wrote:

The appropriate LA department will be very helpful. They're not dragons.

Mary

Thanks for that Mary. This might be my next step after I look into the
post from the US. It contains a few relevant points to look out for

Dave
Dave

ShirKahn wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the extra advice in this, it is very much appreciated.
I am sure that he has not looked too closely at the packaging, though he
does use a heat sealer. If you know the bags I am talking about, they
have a press to seal ridge and valley on them. What he does is seal with
that and then run a heat sealer across, above the first seal. This way
the bag can be re-sealed before the entire contents are consumed.

Dave

raden

In message , Dave
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

The appropriate LA department will be very helpful. They're not dragons.
Mary

Thanks for that Mary. This might be my next step after I look into the
post from the US. It contains a few relevant points to look out for

If your friend's got any cooking oil, reminds him to hide it

--
geoff