Dave

ShirKahn wrote:

Hope you folks don't mind a yank butting in here (it's what we do best
isn't it?)

While it may not be feesable to do the production in his home, often
times church kitchens (at least here in the states) already meet
health code and can be rented for very little. Another option may be a
local school's cafeteria.

I am helping a friend of mine do the same thing with his BBQ sauce. He
couldn't do the production at home but his church had a kitchen well
suited and already met the draconian health regs we have here.

While I know lableing requirements differ between the civilized world
and here in Oklahoma, one universal is the packaging. The regular
home-style foodstuffs bags you get at the local market aren't suitable
for resale in most cases. Your friend should look into getting a
heat-sealer and a supply of commercial grade packaging. Commercial
grade table top models show up on Ebay for sale in the UK with some
regularity (I know because every time my buddy thought he found one
that he could afford I'd have to point out it was for sale in England)

Many thanks for the extra advice in this, it is very much appreciated.
I am sure that he has not looked too closely at the packaging, though he
does use a heat sealer. If you know the bags I am talking about, they
have a press to seal ridge and valley on them. What he does is seal with
that and then run a heat sealer across, above the first seal. This way
the bag can be re-sealed before the entire contents are consumed.

Dave