dave

Default water meter

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

thanks in advance
Dave

Mary Fisher

"dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Ours was fitted free by Yorkshire Water. If you want to pay for metered
water surely you need to make an agreement with your water company?

Mary

thanks in advance
Dave

Vortex

"dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

thanks in advance
Dave

www.bes.ltd.uk part number 11356

T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:31:56 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Ours was fitted free by Yorkshire Water. If you want to pay for metered
water surely you need to make an agreement with your water company?

Mary

I think he just wanted to evaluate the concept before commiting Mary?

And at ~ 15 for a meter not a bad idea even if they do fit an official
one .. ?

T i m
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Ours was fitted free by Yorkshire Water. If you want to pay for metered
water surely you need to make an agreement with your water company?

Mary

I think he just wanted to evaluate the concept before commiting Mary?

Sorry, I didn't see the first line. Jumping in with both feet again :-)

And at ~ 15 for a meter not a bad idea even if they do fit an official
one .. ?

er?

Mary

T i m

Frank Erskine

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:57:43 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Ours was fitted free by Yorkshire Water. If you want to pay for metered
water surely you need to make an agreement with your water company?

Mary

I think he just wanted to evaluate the concept before commiting Mary?

Sorry, I didn't see the first line. Jumping in with both feet again :-)

And at ~ 15 for a meter not a bad idea even if they do fit an official
one .. ?

er?

sigh The link to BES that Vortex gave us .. a water meter you could
fit to your own i/c supply and could keep a check on what the water
board said you were using if the evaluation study showed it was
worthwhile going on their meter inrush of breath ;-)

Now keep up or I'll increase your prescription ...

T i m
T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:07:22 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

All the best ..

T i m

Lurch

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:10:54 GMT, T i m strung
together this:

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

New supplies have them under the road generally.

If you order your supply to be 'upgraded' to metered then someone
turns up and mangles the pipes under you sink and shoves a meter in
somewhere.
The one that came in to fit ours removed half the new fittings I'd put
in, including the 1 day old full bore lever valve, and handed them to
my Mum and said "don't know what these gas fittings are doing here".
Bloody clown.
--

SJW
Frank Erskine

wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

In my case they fitted it indoors, just after the indoor stop-cock - a
bit awkward as it happens, because I have to move the washing machine
out to get to the meter.

I've subsequently been told that they can (again f.o.c.) fit a remote
display, say in on a wall in the back garden, so that they don't have
to gain entry to the house to read the meter. I've no idea how the
remote head works - whether it's by a bit of wire, bluetooth, or what.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Dave Stanton

I've subsequently been told that they can (again f.o.c.) fit a remote
display, say in on a wall in the back garden, so that they don't have to
gain entry to the house to read the meter. I've no idea how the remote
head works - whether it's by a bit of wire, bluetooth, or what.

Its a wire interface on all the ones around here.

Dave

again
in the future!!
dave

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies. I am aware that water companies fit them FOC.
but I also believe that if I sold the property the new owner would have no
choice but to have metered water even if I decided not to after the free
trial.

If, as SJW says, they mess about under the sink I would have a problem with
that as my cupboard has the pipework hidden behind it, and you can bet your
life that the fitters are not as careful doing their job as we are when we
do our DIY.

I have email BES for more info.

thanks again
Dave

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

I think he just wanted to evaluate the concept before commiting Mary?

Sorry, I didn't see the first line. Jumping in with both feet again :-)

And at ~ 15 for a meter not a bad idea even if they do fit an official
one .. ?

er?

sigh The link to BES that Vortex gave us ..

Oh come on! You don't expect me to follow links do you? That's techie stuff
and I'm only a poor little grey haired old lady ...

a water meter you could
fit to your own i/c supply and could keep a check on what the water
board said you were using if the evaluation study showed it was
worthwhile going on their meter inrush of breath ;-)

er - that doesn't explain what " ~ 15 " means ...

Now keep up or I'll increase your prescription ...

I'm on my maximum. Unless you want to get rid of me that is.

But that would mean you'd all have to find someone else to make fun of and
IMM has run his course :-)

Mary

T i m

Mary Fisher

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

See the reply to my post saying the same thing. We're not observant enough,
it seems :-(

Mary

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Mary Fisher

wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

No, they're fitted inside the house on the rising main.

sigh Don't you know nowt???

And why didn't you take him to task as you did me???

Eh???????

Come on!

Mary

Mary Fisher

Thanks for all the replies. I am aware that water companies fit them FOC.
but I also believe that if I sold the property the new owner would have no
choice but to have metered water even if I decided not to after the free
trial.

If, as SJW says, they mess about under the sink I would have a problem
with that as my cupboard has the pipework hidden behind it, and you can
bet your life that the fitters are not as careful doing their job as we
are when we do our DIY.

In our case the rising main is in the pantry. The fitter, a very efficient
and pleasant chap, did the job in a matter of minutes. The meter was
installed about 4' from the floor, there was no mess, no disruption and it
was so quick Spouse didn't have a chance to ask questions. He was a bit
miffed but he shouldn't have spent the time ogling the installer's tools :-)

The meter is very easy to see - a flip up lid displays the numbers. We've
saved a lot of money on bills as it happens but that's not why we wanted it.
We wanted to be more aware of our use of a precious resource and having a
meter has shown that we are in fact responsible users.

And before anyone jumps in and says that I'd think differently if we were
poor and had lots of children I'll say that we'd do the same if we still had
our five children at home and that our income has always been far less than
the national average. We haven't stinted on water usage.

We have metered gas and electricity and phone, why not water?

Mary

T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:16:35 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

And at ~ 15 for a meter not a bad idea even if they do fit an official
one .. ?

er?

sigh The link to BES that Vortex gave us ..

Oh come on! You don't expect me to follow links do you? That's techie stuff
and I'm only a poor little grey haired old lady ...

"Lady !?" ducks

a water meter you could
fit to your own i/c supply and could keep a check on what the water
board said you were using if the evaluation study showed it was
worthwhile going on their meter inrush of breath ;-)

er - that doesn't explain what " ~ 15 " means ...

Now come on Mary .. "And at ~ 15 for a meter" .. where "~" means
'around' and this is the usenet so I believe I shouldn't really use
the £ symbol (now look what you have made me do) .. and I I don't know
what the current exchange rate its between pounds and groats ?

Now keep up or I'll increase your prescription ...

I'm on my maximum. Unless you want to get rid of me that is.

Ermm ... er .. .. no .. wouldn't want that to happen .. ;-(

But that would mean you'd all have to find someone else to make fun of and
IMM has run his course :-)

Good point .. stick with the existing prescription then .. we need to
keep you alive and nutty ;-)

Love ..

T i m ;-)
T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:18:24 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

No, they're fitted inside the house on the rising main.

sigh Don't you know nowt???

See, reading other replies .. they are *somtimes* in a hole in the
road ner ner ne ner ner. And don't forget it's easier for them to
dig the roads up daun Sauf cos they aren't cobbled ...

And why didn't you take him to task as you did me???

Because ...

Eh???????

Because ...

Come on!

Erm .. because all the others talk sense *most* of the time ... ?
ducks and runs away zig zagging from the longbow arrows

T i m ;-)
No Spam

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

BUT, regardless of what you do after one year, the next occupant of
the property is lumbered with metered water.

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

And at ~ 15 for a meter not a bad idea even if they do fit an official
one .. ?

er?

sigh The link to BES that Vortex gave us ..

Oh come on! You don't expect me to follow links do you? That's techie
stuff
and I'm only a poor little grey haired old lady ...

"Lady !?" ducks

I used that word to get a response. It always works :-) My pets are hens, by
the way, not ducks.

a water meter you could
fit to your own i/c supply and could keep a check on what the water
board said you were using if the evaluation study showed it was
worthwhile going on their meter inrush of breath ;-)

er - that doesn't explain what " ~ 15 " means ...

Now come on Mary .. "And at ~ 15 for a meter" .. where "~" means
'around'

Ah, thanks, I didn't know. It didn't in my day. I'd have used ±

and this is the usenet so I believe I shouldn't really use
the £ symbol (now look what you have made me do)

Oh I'm so sorry to have made you think ... but a £ would have helped ...

.. and I I don't know
what the current exchange rate its between pounds and groats ?

If you'd used a £ (or $ or ? or whatever) it would also have helped.

A groat was always 4d as I'm sure you know. That means, in Monopoly money,
um, about 2p, near enough allowing for inflation.

Now keep up or I'll increase your prescription ...

I'm on my maximum. Unless you want to get rid of me that is.

Ermm ... er .. .. no .. wouldn't want that to happen .. ;-(

Of COURSE not.

But that would mean you'd all have to find someone else to make fun of and
IMM has run his course :-)

Good point .. stick with the existing prescription then .. we need to
keep you alive and nutty ;-)

Oh, I don't take the nutty pills any more. You wouldn't have liked me with
those (that's assuming you do now of course). You wouldn't have known me. I
was only half awake all day, a walking zombie. Sometimes. Sometimes walking
that is. I only take the analgesics and anti malarial quinine now. The
quinine also helps to prevent night cramps which happens to old folk.
Remember that, you might need it some time.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

No, they're fitted inside the house on the rising main.

sigh Don't you know nowt???

See, reading other replies .. they are *somtimes* in a hole in the
road ner ner ne ner ner. And don't forget it's easier for them to
dig the roads up daun Sauf cos they aren't cobbled ...

As far as I know they are at the consumer's end of the rising main. Well,
they are in God's Own County.

Sadly, there are few cobbled streets here these days. The only setts I ever
see are those laid at great expense in their turning circles by people with
more money than sense. The bit of unadopted Victorian road at the bottom of
our street was cobbled until the then Labour Lord Mayor had his installation
ceremony at the church there. To avoid the noble body in the expenisve RR
being jogged the surface was cushioned with wall to wall tarmac.

Recently they installed 'pillows' as a traffic calming thingy. I pointed out
to the engineer that if they stripped the tarmac at the bottom that would
calm traffic, she said oh they couldn't do that, it would damage cars. I
said only if they were doing more than 20mph - the aim (which of course
isn't enforced). She said that no-one would keep to 20mph.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh ..........

WHERE'S MY PRESCRIPTION?

And why didn't you take him to task as you did me???

Because ...

Eh???????

Because ...

Come on!

Erm .. because all the others talk sense *most* of the time ... ?

Oh. I hadn't noticed ... Not a good enough excuse anyway. You'll have to get
a note from your mum.

ducks and runs away zig zagging from the longbow arrows

That's no defence. A hail would get you with no problems :-)

Think Agincourt.

Mary

T i m ;-)

Mary Fisher

"No Spam" wrote in message
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

BUT, regardless of what you do after one year, the next occupant of
the property is lumbered with metered water.

The next occupant of your house is also lumbered with all the diy things you
do.

Mary

T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:02:13 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Now come on Mary .. "And at ~ 15 for a meter" .. where "~" means
'around'

Ah, thanks, I didn't know. It didn't in my day. I'd have used ±

But that's still an extended (8bit) chr and therefore has no place on
a 7bit usenet message?

and this is the usenet so I believe I shouldn't really use
the £ symbol (now look what you have made me do)

Oh I'm so sorry to have made you think ... but a £ would have helped ...

And thinking isn't my strong point ..

.. and I I don't know
what the current exchange rate its between pounds and groats ?

If you'd used a £ (or $ or ? or whatever) it would also have helped.

Yes .. you said .. ;-)

A groat was always 4d as I'm sure you know.

Don't forget I'm quite young ...

That means, in Monopoly money,
um, about 2p, near enough allowing for inflation.

Ah, ok .. and I can't stand board (bored) games .. throw the dice
(chance), pick a card (chance) move yer piece and slide back down the
snake sigh ... ;-( Now blasting 20 aliens with yer plasma rifle ..
now 'that's' entertaining (especially at 1280 x 1024, 32 bit and 100
fps!) !

I'm on my maximum. Unless you want to get rid of me that is.

Ermm ... er .. .. no .. wouldn't want that to happen .. ;-(

Of COURSE not.

Good .. glad we have that settled .. ;-)

Oh, I don't take the nutty pills any more.

You don't .. ah ..

You wouldn't have liked me with
those (that's assuming you do now of course).

Nope, don't *like* you Mary .. I luv ya ;-)

You wouldn't have known me. I
was only half awake all day, a walking zombie.

Oh ;-(

Sometimes. Sometimes walking
that is. I only take the analgesics and anti malarial quinine now.

I don't think I want to know what the anal gesic is for .. anyway, I
bet you are glad that's behind you now .. ? ;-)

The
quinine also helps to prevent night cramps which happens to old folk.

And some younger folk .. like the ache that's in my left arm, forearm,
shoulder (don't know where) and the tingling in the night .. and I
daren't stretch first thing in the morning or I'll get cramp in my
calf and the tinnitus get's unbearable at times and ...

Remember that, you might need it some time.

Ok, but my doctor will probably give me some (but thanks for the offer
Mary) ;-)

Love ..

T i m
T i m

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:16:51 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

See, reading other replies .. they are *somtimes* in a hole in the
road ner ner ne ner ner. And don't forget it's easier for them to
dig the roads up daun Sauf cos they aren't cobbled ...

As far as I know they are at the consumer's end of the rising main. Well,
they are in God's Own County.

London? .. I downt fink so ...

Sadly, there are few cobbled streets here these days. The only setts I ever
see are those laid at great expense in their turning circles by people with
more money than sense. The bit of unadopted Victorian road at the bottom of
our street was cobbled until the then Labour Lord Mayor had his installation
ceremony at the church there. To avoid the noble body in the expenisve RR
being jogged the surface was cushioned with wall to wall tarmac.

I thought that was the whole point of Range Rovers .. off road work
s******?

Recently they installed 'pillows' as a traffic calming thingy. I pointed out
to the engineer that if they stripped the tarmac at the bottom that would
calm traffic, she said oh they couldn't do that, it would damage cars. I
said only if they were doing more than 20mph - the aim (which of course
isn't enforced). She said that no-one would keep to 20mph.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh ..........

I know the feeling Mary .. like you don't need to bother about speed
cameras if you are in a stolen car ...

WHERE'S MY PRESCRIPTION?

Top shelf, in the tupperware box .. ?

Erm .. because all the others talk sense *most* of the time ... ?

Oh. I hadn't noticed ... Not a good enough excuse anyway. You'll have to get
a note from your mum.

Doh kicks the ground .. ok .. mumble ;-(

ducks and runs away zig zagging from the longbow arrows

That's no defence. A hail would get you with no problems :-)

Think Agincourt.

Bit before my time Mary but I'll take your word for it .. did you
provide them with the hog roast and honey sarnies (captive audience
and all that)?

All the best ..

T i m ;-)

John Stumbles

Mary Fisher wrote:

that is. I only take the analgesics and anti malarial quinine now. The
quinine also helps to prevent night cramps which happens to old folk.
Remember that, you might need it some time.

You get that in tonic water don't you? (Quinine, not night cramps) (Or
old folk). Which really needs something to go with it of course. What
an excuse ;-)

Frank Erskine

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:49:42 +0000, No Spam
wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

BUT, regardless of what you do after one year, the next occupant of
the property is lumbered with metered water.

That's THEIR problem; not mine.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Mary Fisher

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

that is. I only take the analgesics and anti malarial quinine now. The
quinine also helps to prevent night cramps which happens to old folk.
Remember that, you might need it some time.

You get that in tonic water don't you? (Quinine, not night cramps) (Or old
folk). Which really needs something to go with it of course. What an
excuse ;-)

Trouble is that enough of the stuff can't be masked with gin ... :-(

Believe me, I've tried :-)

Mary

T i m

wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

BUT, regardless of what you do after one year, the next occupant of
the property is lumbered with metered water.

That's THEIR problem; not mine.

It could still be YOUR problem if they are high volume water users and
you want to sell?

T i m ;-)
No Spam

T i m wrote:

It could still be YOUR problem if they are high volume water users and
you want to sell?

Precisely.

Also if everyone was metered it wouldn't be a problem but all partial
metering does is drive up costs for people still on the "rateable
value" system.

Dave Jones

"dave" wrote in message
I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable
price.

thanks in advance
Dave

Don't most fit for free and then give you up to 12 months to decide whether
or not you want to be billed that way. Also if they cannot fit one then they
assess your bill on other like properties/families in the area.

chris French

In message , dave
writes

Thanks for all the replies. I am aware that water companies fit them FOC.
but I also believe that if I sold the property the new owner would have no
choice but to have metered water even if I decided not to after the free
trial.

I don't think buyers are really concerned as to whether property has
meter or not.

If, as SJW says, they mess about under the sink I would have a problem with
that as my cupboard has the pipework hidden behind it, and you can bet your
life that the fitters are not as careful doing their job as we are when we
do our DIY.

Where it goes I think probably depends on many dependy things.

Ours was installed in the front garden, with a small round metal cover
over the hole. Other than being done after some heavy rain, when the
clay was rather muddy..... it was fine.

I don't remember if internal fitting was given as an option, but I can't
see there would have been anyway to fit it in ours with out some major
remodelling of the pipework
--
Chris French, Leeds
chris French

In message , No Spam
writes
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

BUT, regardless of what you do after one year, the next occupant of
the property is lumbered with metered water.

which is fine IMO, since our bills even with 2 young kids now are lower
than the unmetered neighbours.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Mary Fisher

"No Spam" wrote in message
T i m wrote:

It could still be YOUR problem if they are high volume water users and
you want to sell?

Precisely.

Also if everyone was metered it wouldn't be a problem but all partial
metering does is drive up costs for people still on the "rateable
value" system.

No, it makes people aware of what they're using and might make them more
responsible consumers, in which case there won't be the same demands on the
water companies.

People in drought ridden countries don't pay high water rates.

Mary

No Spam

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"No Spam" wrote in message
.. .

Also if everyone was metered it wouldn't be a problem but all partial
metering does is drive up costs for people still on the "rateable
value" system.

No, it makes people aware of what they're using and might make them more
responsible consumers, in which case there won't be the same demands on the
water companies.

People in drought ridden countries don't pay high water rates.

That might be the case but the SE of England has less rainfall than
the Horn of Africa which most would consider a drought ridden area -
hence the proposed adoption of desalination plants in the UK to
satisfy increasing demand.

Now the money bit:

Water companies in the UK are required to have a certain level of
capital expenditure, and as listed companies the shareholders require
a certain rate of return on their investment (this being capped by
the regulator)

If a water metered customer uses less water the customer pays less BUT
as the capital expenditure is fixed that means that other non metered
customers have to pay more. Of course if capital expenditure can be
reduced or deferred by everyone moving to metered supplies then
everyone benefits - until then metered customers (usually) pay less
and "rateable value" customers subsidise them.

Mary Fisher

"Vera" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:54:08 +0000, chris French
wrote:

I don't think buyers are really concerned as to whether property has
meter or not.

Some are. Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a domestic
property with a water meter in this country.

Why?

Mary

T i m

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:55:53 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , No Spam
writes
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:33:47 GMT, "dave" wrote:

I am thinking of fitting my own water meter to see if I could save money
before asking the water company. are they easy to fit? can they be fitted
horizontally or vertically and where would I find one at a reasonable price.

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or the
old water-rate tariff.

BUT, regardless of what you do after one year, the next occupant of
the property is lumbered with metered water.

which is fine IMO, since our bills even with 2 young kids now are lower
than the unmetered neighbours.

But with one older 'kid' and a low rateable value I don't think our
bill would be less and I believe the waste costs stay the same?

T i m
T i m

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:58:01 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"No Spam" wrote in message
.. .
T i m wrote:

It could still be YOUR problem if they are high volume water users and
you want to sell?

Precisely.

Also if everyone was metered it wouldn't be a problem but all partial
metering does is drive up costs for people still on the "rateable
value" system.

No, it makes people aware of what they're using and might make them more
responsible consumers,

You think? These are the same folk who wash the car / water the
gardens / flush a full 2 gallons every time even though there is a
drought on. They also have all the filament / halogen lights on all
the time .. because they can afford it. On top of that they don't
recycle "we don't get paid to to it" and replace the TV / kitchen /
car at regular intervals to stay in fashion (creating more waste).
(They are easily spotted by the empty 50" Plasma TV box on the
pavement by the dustbin, not flat packed and put with the cardboard)

in which case there won't be the same demands on the
water companies.

True, we should all pay for what we use .. but while they can get away
with it ... ?

People in drought ridden countries don't pay high water rates.

Because they don't have any water?

T i m

wrote:

I don't think buyers are really concerned as to whether property

has
meter or not.

Some are. Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a domestic
property with a water meter in this country.

Whyever not? Unless you use a *lot* of water (in which case you should
be metered IMHO) then you will almost certainly save money by switching
to a meter.

MBQ

wrote:

Most water companies will fit one free of charge. After a year's
"trial" you can then opt to pay your bills as either metered or

the
old water-rate tariff.

Sounds like a good idea .. where do the fit them though .. aren't

they
'normally' in the road down a 6' hole (not easy to read youself?)

No, they're fitted inside the house on the rising main.

sigh Don't you know nowt???

See, reading other replies .. they are *somtimes* in a hole in

the
road ner ner ne ner ner. And don't forget it's easier for them to
dig the roads up daun Sauf cos they aren't cobbled ...

As far as I know they are at the consumer's end of the rising main.

Well,
they are in God's Own County.

Well, my father water meter (in GOC) was fitted in the front garden.
Here in what used to be the Anglian water region every one I've seen
(lots of houses) has been fitted in the street, but then I wouldn't see
the ones fitted indoors, IYSWIM.

MBQ

Mary Fisher

"No Spam" wrote in message

People in drought ridden countries don't pay high water rates.

That might be the case but the SE of England has less rainfall than
the Horn of Africa which most would consider a drought ridden area -
hence the proposed adoption of desalination plants in the UK to
satisfy increasing demand.

"Increasing demand" are the key words. People want more than they need.

As a shareholder in a water company I'd be happy to have smaller dividends
if it meant that less water was being used.

Mary

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM