Rod Hewitt

Default Ultimate DIY

Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in
which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the
latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them
for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's great
grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are
there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?
--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Mary Fisher

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in
which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the
latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them
for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's
great
grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are
there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!

I have book, The Natural Way of Death I think it's called. Fascinating.

One thing I remember is that if the body is going to be viewed it's a good
idea to put a wedge under the head, otherwise the jaw falls open and some
people find it offensive ...

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

When you consider what the undertakers provide I doubt it. The oven
temperatures are so high that dioxins etc. are converted before you get to
the top of the chimney.

Me? Well I'd be happy just to have a winding sheet and be buried on a board.
There are enough skilled woodworkers in our family that there won't be a
problem and I know they'll be able to use timbers which are otherwise
unusable for anything else. Mine will be a DIY funeral from beginning to
end.

Hope the run-up isn't though :-)

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

Mary
--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Bob Eager

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:06:21 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

One thing I remember is that if the body is going to be viewed it's a good
idea to put a wedge under the head, otherwise the jaw falls open and some
people find it offensive ...

Car body filler. Job done.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Owain

"Rod Hewitt" wrote
| Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books
| in which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants
| being the latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven
| planks and used them for his bed until needed. Indeed, we
| recently found that my partner's great grandfather was the
| local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.
| Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size,
| are there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

Not unless you are living in one :-)

| I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
| on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins do you? They're
crematorium assistants' perks are expensive coffins.

| So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

AIUI coffins are about £20 flat-pack from the wholesalers anyway. You
couldn't buy the wood for that price. Or go round the back door of the
crematorium at closing-time with a handful of used fivers and a black estate
car.

Owain

Holly, in France

Owain wrote in message

You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins
do you? They're crematorium assistants' perks are
expensive coffins.

I have heard people say, really believing it, that this is true, that
the coffins are 'recycled' so to speak. Good idea if they were IMO, as
long as the crematoriums/funeral directors are open about it. But does
it really happen?

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,

Tony Bryer

In article , In France Holly
wrote:
You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins
do you? They're crematorium assistants' perks are
expensive coffins.

I have heard people say, really believing it, that this is true,
that the coffins are 'recycled' so to speak. Good idea if they
were IMO, as long as the crematoriums/funeral directors are open
about it. But does it really happen?

No. When it comes to it the average coffin is six pieces of
Contiplas and probably costs the same. So it wouldn't be worth the
hassle, let alone the unpleasantness for the crem operatives.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Owain

"Holly, in France" wrote
| You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins
| do you? They're crematorium assistants' perks are
| expensive coffins.
| I have heard people say, really believing it, that this
| is true, that the coffins are 'recycled' so to speak.
| Good idea if they were IMO, as long as the crematoriums/
| funeral directors are open about it. But does it
| really happen?

I would be surprised if it hasn't, somewhere. When one thinks of what goes
on in the restaurant trade re-using the plate scrapings ...

Owain

Rod Hewitt

Tony Bryer wrote in
:

No. When it comes to it the average coffin is six pieces of
Contiplas and probably costs the same. So it wouldn't be worth the
hassle, let alone the unpleasantness for the crem operatives.

Is that just ordinary particle board with a finish?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
raden

In message , Rod Hewitt
writes
Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in
which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the
latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them
for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's great
grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are
there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

A friend's father made his out of corrugated cardboard

--
geoff

Rod Hewitt wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote in
:

No. When it comes to it the average coffin is six pieces of
Contiplas and probably costs the same. So it wouldn't be worth the
hassle, let alone the unpleasantness for the crem operatives.

Is that just ordinary particle board with a finish?

yup. If I understand correctly its a cheaper finish than melamine aka
contiboard. It doesnt have to last so long. I think it might even be
printed paper.

NT

Old Bill

raden wrote:
In message , Rod Hewitt
writes

Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in
which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the
latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them
for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's
great
grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are
there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

A friend's father made his out of corrugated cardboard

I'm told there's nothing to stop you being taken to the crem in a
cardboard box on the back of a pickup truck.
Mary Fisher

"Old Bill" wrote in message
raden wrote:
In message , Rod Hewitt
writes

Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in
which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the
latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them
for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's
great
grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are
there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

A friend's father made his out of corrugated cardboard

I'm told there's nothing to stop you being taken to the crem in a
cardboard box on the back of a pickup truck.

There isn't. I'm hoping that someone I know will have an estate (I'm not
tall) or a van. But it won't be to a crem.

Mary