Ethan Garr

Default The Ultimate Workbench Do-it-Yourself Public Woodshop

I would like to announce the opening of the Ultimate Workbench,
do-it-yourself public woodshop in Hamilton, New Jersey. For complete
details please visit our website at www.ultimateworkbench.com.

Our 8,000 s.f. facility features a first-rate Delta/Porter-Cable
woodshop, woodworking classes, and a retail store. If you can dream
it, you can build it. Whether you are new to woodworking or an
experienced craftsperson, you will find our shop to be an excellent
outlet for your next project.

We have a full complement of equipment including five lathes, two
tablesaws, a 15 inch and 13 inch planer, an 8 inch jointer, and much
more. We have ample storage available for member projects. A shop
safety foreman is always available to assist you with the equipment,
and to help you with your projects.

During our grand opening celebration we are offering deep discounts on
memberships, block time passes, classes and more. Right now (December
4, 2004), for example, a peak one-year membership is just
$39.99/month.

Our class schedule is growing rapidly, and currently includes, an
introduction to woodworking class, a basic and intermediate level
turning course, a class in cabinetmaking, and a sharpening class.
Also, on December 18th from 11am - 2pm we have a single session scroll
saw holiday ornament class. All classes are taught by our
professional staff. Additional courses in finishing, intarsia,
fundamentals of fine woodworking, and more will be available in the
coming months.

Our retail store offers everything from lumber and plans to tools and
finishing products. We are a dealer for Porter-Cable/Delta, and will
be adding Bessey clamping products shortly.

We are located at 200 Whitehead Road in Hamilton, our website provides
directions. Our operating hours are 11am - 9pm Monday - Friday, and
11am - 6pm Saturdays and Sundays.

Feel free to call us at 609-587-3618 with any questions you might
have. We hope to be a great resource for you.

We hope to here from you soon.

Ethan Garr
Managing Director
The Ultimate Workbench
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ethan Garr" wrote in message
m...
I would like to announce the opening of the Ultimate Workbench,
do-it-yourself public woodshop in Hamilton, New Jersey. For complete
details please visit our website at www.ultimateworkbench.com.

You're kidding right? There are NO details on the web page. At a minimum I
expected to see a list of available tools. How about a few photos the the
shop? Of the store? Can I bring my own wood? Supplies?

Membership: What do I get? As many hours as I can get there? I see block
time offered. Is that in addition to or in lieu of membership? Can I use
the shop during scheduled class times? Can I leve my big and bulky project
or do I have to haul it home every time I visit?

The classes need a tuneup also. Do the prices include materials? Since you
don't state otherwise, I'm going to assume they do. If not, I'll b e ****ed
off when I sign up and find it costs more. The ornament class test says by
the end of the night you will have an ornament completed. The hours are
11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Does that mean I have many hours of finish work after
the class?

Constucting the cabinet classes. Is it a six day course every Wednesday?
What are the hours? Since no cost is noted, is it free?

Don't tell me I can find complete details and offer nothing of interest.
While I wish you success, you must be realistic in what you tell people to
have any credibility. Take the information in this post and put it on the
web page.

Yes, I'm being a PITA, but if you don't look at what I'm criticizing and
correct it, you will lose potential sales from lack of or confusing
information

Ethan Garr

Mr. Pawlowski makes some good points, and we will work to update the
website as quickly as possible. Perhaps I got a little carried away
in saying that our website offers "complete" details, though I think
it does do a good job of getting the point across as to what we are
and what we do.

Without a doubt, the website needs to include photos, and more
details, but I hope my post and the site will at least convey the
message that we offer something new and exciting in the area--a public
woodshop, woodworking education facility, and retail store.

Again, I would encourage anyone who is interested to call us with any
questions you might have at 609-587-3618. In the meantime, let me
answer a few questions directly he

- Yes you can bring your own wood and supplies. Our store is a
convenient resource, but by no means are you obligated to purchase
items from us.

- Memberships--details are provided on the website in this area. A
peak membership entitles you to unlimited use of the shop during our
operating hours (M - F 11am - 9pm, Sat. and Sun. 11am - 6pm). Block
time is shop time by the hour. You would purchase block time or a
membership, not both. Block time is offered in 5, 10 and 20 hour
increments.

- The shop is open during class times, so yes you can use it. The
facility is quite large (almost 8000 square feet in total), and we
have multiple machines of the same type in many cases.

- We offer storage at our facility for members. When you start a
project we put your name on a plastic bin which you can use to store
your work in progress. Bin storage is free for 6 weeks from the time
you start a project. If there are others waiting for storage you will
be charged a storage fee after 6 weeks, if no other member is waiting
there is no charge. For exceedingly large projects we will work out
arrangements on an individual basis. There is also limited storage
for block time users of the shop.

- Most classes include materials, like our introductory classes, but
absolutely, Mr Pawlowski is correct that we need to be explicit here.

Like any new business, The Ultimate Workbench is a work in progress,
and our website is one outlet we have to present ourself. It, like
the business, will only get better. I appreciate comments like Mr.
Pawlowski's as they help us improve our product.

Thank you,
Ethan Garr
Again--if you have specific question that were not addressed here,
call us at 609-587-3618.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message .com...
"Ethan Garr" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ethan Garr" wrote in message
m...
Mr. Pawlowski makes some good points, and we will work to update the
website as quickly as possible. Perhaps I got a little carried away
in saying that our website offers "complete" details, though I think
it does do a good job of getting the point across as to what we are
and what we do.

Ethan,
I'm glad you took my comments the way intended. Your clarifications are
exactly what is needed. Even though I have a well equipped shop, I dont
have every tool and it would be a good idea for me to buy blocks of time.
Unfortuantly, I'm 260 miles away.

The cost of classes is reasonable from others I've seen. Good luck with
your venture. It should be a good way for apartment dwellers and those new
to woodworking to enjoy a very satisfying hobby as wll as a way of the rest
of us to socialize and hone our skills.

John

Well, anyone can sue anyone over anything, and the Florida courts have
ruled that you CANNOT sign away your right to SUE over negligence

However, a GOOD waiver and avoiding any negligence on the part of the
folks providing the tools should prevent any serious litigation - and
in most states you can counter sue for frivolous lawsuits to recoup
your legal costs. In fact, that is something that needs to be in the
waiver - that if someone brings litigation that FAILS, they are liable
for the defendant's legal costs

John

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:06:35 -0500, Terry Sumner
wrote:

On 4 Dec 2004 15:37:34 -0800, (Ethan Garr)
wrote:

I would like to announce the opening of the Ultimate Workbench,
do-it-yourself public woodshop in Hamilton, New Jersey. For complete

(snipped for space)

I'm just curious as to how you are handling the liability. Can anyone
walk in and use the power tools? How do you determine if a customer
is qualified to use any machine? Do you administer a test?

I would think that if someone came in there and got hurt, you owners
could be in for a rough time, liability-wise. And that would be even
if you DID make the user sign some kind of indemnification agreement.

Terry

Safety is definitely a top priority for us at the Ultimate Workbench.
Beyond liability issues, shop safety is important to me personally
because I want this to be a safe, comfortable, and fun place for the
community--every element of our business is based on creating that
environment.

We have a shop safety foreman on duty at all times. To use the
facility, members and block time users must read and agree to our
safety manual, and pass a safety check in which the foreman explains
and demonstrates the safe operation of each piece of machinery. Then
the user demonstrates the operation to the foreman and answers some
basic questions based on the safety manual. The primary safety check
covers a core set of equipment. Members can then request safety checks
for machines outside of the primary check. Users can only use machines
for which they have been checked.

Insurance was the first issue we tackled in developing our business
plan. We felt that the rates we were quoted would be manageable within
our projections. But like I said, for me it goes beyond liability.

I am happy to report that the early response to the business has been
extremely positive. It is early, and the road ahead is long, but The
Ultimate Workbench is on its way.

Thanks for your questions and comments.

Ethan Garr
Managing Director
The Ultimate Workbench
Phone 609-587-3618

Thanks. I am sorry you are so far away, I need people who tell it like
it is to tell me how it isn't! Woodworking is a great hobby, and it is
my intention to make it more accessible to more communities with this
do-it-yourself public woodshop and others.

I am glad Igor chimed in, it was a good exchange. Please keep your
eyes out for updates to the web site. Incidentally, in the meantime if
anyone is interested in seeing photos of the shop, let me know and I
will email them to you.

Thanks again
Ethan Garr
Managing Director
The Ultimate Workbench
Phone 609-587-3618

I apologize to everyone for not posting in a while. Things, thankfully
have been going very well for the Ultimate Workbench. We actually
filled our Intro class that started this week, and we only have three
spots left for the one starting this Saturday (1/15/05). We have signed
up many members, and we have many woodworkers using the shop for their
projects.

I wanted to post an invitation to our Grand Opening celebration next
Thursday, January 20th, 2005 at 1:00pm. The mayor of Hamilton Township
will be cutting our ribbon, and we will have an open house through
closing at 9:00pm.

If you plan to attend, please let us know by calling 609-587-3618, so
we can make sure we have enough refreshments.

Need directions? Visit our website at www.ultimateworkbench.com

I hope to see you there.

Ethan Garr
Managing Director
The Ultimate Workbench

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I wanted to post an invitation to our Grand Opening celebration next
Thursday, January 20th, 2005 at 1:00pm. The mayor of Hamilton Township
will be cutting our ribbon, and we will have an open house through
closing at 9:00pm.

Hi Ethan.
Glad things are starting up well. Wish I could attend your grand opening.
Best of luck to you.
Ed

Thanks Ed, I still owe you photos on the website. Keep your eyes out
we should have them soon.

Ethan

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post a quick update on how things are going at The
Ultimate Workbench, do-it-yourself public woodshop. We are off to an
exciting start. There has been a great deal of interest for our Intro
to Woodworking classes, and our first two iterations of this class went
very well. The end table project was a good mechanism for building
joinery, tool, and safety skills and we are excited about developing
the class further. The feedback in our course evaluations was
overwhelmingly positive. We'll likely add a fifth session based on
this feedback.

We just started our Constructing the Cabinet class tonight. This
serves as a follow-up to the Intro class, or as an intermediate level
class for more experienced woodworkers. We are also running a lathe
class right now, and I am excited about our upcoming sharpening course
starting in a few weeks.

Besides classes, many people have taken advantage of our membership
options. The shop is bustling with activity, and the foundation for a
strong community of woodworkers has been laid. Members seem to really
apreciate our foreman staff. Being able to tap profesisonal
cabinetmakers, furniture refinishers, and school shop teachers on a
daily basis is a nice perk for members as they work on their projects.

The retail store is improving as well. We have brought in some more
Porter-Cable tools and Delta power equipment. And we are working on a
deal to bring in some nice turning tools, japanese tools, and other
higher-end woodworker's tools. I'll keep everyone posted.

For anyone interested, we have had a couple of nice feature articles in
The Trenton Times and the Princeton Packet you might be interested in
reading:

http://www.nj.com/living/times/index...1993261790.xml

http://www.zwire.com/site/myzwire.cf...&PAG=461&rfi=9

If you haven't had a chance to stop by, please do.

Thanks to everyone who has helped make our first two months both
succesful and exciting.

Ethan Garr
Managing Director
The Ultimate Workbench
Phone: 609-587-3618

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
For anyone interested, we have had a couple of nice feature articles in
The Trenton Times and the Princeton Packet you might be interested in
reading:

http://www.nj.com/living/times/index...1993261790.xml

http://www.zwire.com/site/myzwire.cf...&PAG=461&rfi=9

If you haven't had a chance to stop by, please do.

Thanks to everyone who has helped make our first two months both
succesful and exciting.

Ethan Garr

Nice articles Ethan. Maybe you can get the reporter from the Packet back
and show him the difference between a lathe and a bandsaw though

From the pictures it looks like a good sized shop. Continued good luck with
it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
OT- I thought Bush on imigration was evil? Gunner Metalworking 551 March 7th 04 11:48 PM