Old Bill

raden wrote:
In message , Rod Hewitt
writes

Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books in
which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants being the
latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven planks and used them
for his bed until needed. Indeed, we recently found that my partner's
great
grandfather was the local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.

Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size, are
there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

A friend's father made his out of corrugated cardboard

I'm told there's nothing to stop you being taken to the crem in a
cardboard box on the back of a pickup truck.