Owain

"Rod Hewitt" wrote
| Just been thinking, over the years I have read quite a few books
| in which a character has made a coffin. (Moberg: The Emigrants
| being the latest). Another book had a chap who IIRC cut seven
| planks and used them for his bed until needed. Indeed, we
| recently found that my partner's great grandfather was the
| local carpenter and undertaker in Great Tey.
| Other than the most obvious requirement of being the right size,
| are there any rules (Part Z?) on their construction?

Not unless you are living in one :-)

| I imagine that, if destined for the crem., there could be restrictions
| on use of metal, wood treatments, etc.

You don't think they *burn* those expensive coffins do you? They're
crematorium assistants' perks are expensive coffins.

| So, any advice if I wanted to make my own?

AIUI coffins are about £20 flat-pack from the wholesalers anyway. You
couldn't buy the wood for that price. Or go round the back door of the
crematorium at closing-time with a handful of used fivers and a black estate
car.

Owain