The Question Asker

Default Is it possible to use the roadside fire hydrants??

Hi,
As you may have seen from a recent post we have dug out a rather large pond
and need to fill it before the clay dries out... We have a Yellow fire
hydrant positioned out the front of our house, my Q's are...

1) Do you think it will be possible to hire a hose connect it up and fill up
the pond (Under the cover of darkness)??
2) Following on, would it be detectable, in decrease in water pressure
either from homes or somewhere central.
3) If we contacted the authorities (Who is in charge of them) would we be
able to use it and for what cost?

We are on a water meter and so are our neighbours, next door use to not be
on a water meter and she's filled up most of the peoples ponds along the
road but now that's not an option... The cost of filling it up by hose pipe
would cost a small fortune I imagine.
Cheers
Oli

Toby

Hi,
As you may have seen from a recent post we have dug out a rather large

pond
and need to fill it before the clay dries out... We have a Yellow fire
hydrant positioned out the front of our house, my Q's are...

I have heard of the Fire Brigade filling (and emptying) swimming pools
before, so I would imagine a pond would be OK. This was in rural Essex and
done from the engine/tank. Might seem a bit strange asking them.

Toby

"The Question Asker" wrote in message
Well just measured our pond its 8m*12m and 1m all over, which makes it 96
cubic meters, making it £144 a small fortune for water....

Perhaps that is something that you should have considered before digging the
pond?

Not only do you need permission to use a hydrant, the water authority will
also charge you for the amount of water you draw from it. Taking water
without payment is theft. We had to get the lawyers onto a company that kept
sending its gully washers onto our industrial estate, to fill up at our
private hydrants, so that they could avoid paying the water authority
charges.

The alternative is to divert all your rainwater down pipes and hope for wet
weather.

Colin Bignell

BigWallop

"BAH" wrote in message
Get the tool, go on and just do it! BUT, don't tell anyone, and
particularly don't mention it to any newsgroups............
BAH

Especially this one.

"Toby" wrote in message
Hi,
As you may have seen from a recent post we have dug out a rather

large
pond
and need to fill it before the clay dries out... We have a Yellow fire
hydrant positioned out the front of our house, my Q's are...

I have heard of the Fire Brigade filling (and emptying) swimming pools
before, so I would imagine a pond would be OK. This was in rural Essex

and
done from the engine/tank. Might seem a bit strange asking them.

Toby

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

geoff

In message ,
lid writes

The alternative is to divert all your rainwater down pipes and hope for wet
weather.

Shouldn't take long ... it is summer

--
geoff

Malcolm Stewart

Default Is it possible to use the roadside fire hydrants?? Reverse problem

The Question Asker wrote in message
But are we allowed to use it without a licence/authorisation?

I've got just the reverse problem to you. Water is steadily appearing in one
part of my garden and seeping into the ground a short distance away, between my
house and my neighbours fence. Neighbour is away abroad on holiday, so can't
find out any details from them just now, although their house is being minded,
and it doesn't seem to be from a garden watering system, stuck in the "full-on"
position.
At the moment I don't know if my problem is a new spring (it's Oxford clay
underneath, I've been here 20 years and it's never happened before), or whether
it's a mains supply leak. Said water is gently up-welling from below ground,
and this is happening at a point which is not the lowest point by any means, and
areas a short distance away are still dry. Supply pipe runs are some distance
away on the far side of both my and my neighbour's houses. I've checked the
water hardness, and for what it's worth the up-welling water is 25-30% harder
than the already hard tap-water.

It's sure making the vegetation grow like there's no tomorrow!

I'm a bit reluctant to contact the water authorities before neighbour returns
home!

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

The Question Asker

Not sure if I get your long rambling story but If you say by filling up the
pond I'm going to make next doors garden wet/boggy, then I doubt it, next
doors garden is about 50m away from the pond, then its just then end which
is boggy anyway, as for our house its about 30m from it also
"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
[...]

BigWallop

"The Question Asker" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message

Does anyone know why fireman's balls are bigger than policeman's balls ?

No y?

'Cause they sell more tickets to the fireman's balls.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Paul C. Dickie

In article , nightjar@?.?
writes
"The Question Asker" wrote in message
Well just measured our pond its 8m*12m and 1m all over, which makes it 96
cubic meters, making it £144 a small fortune for water....

Not only do you need permission to use a hydrant, the water authority will
also charge you for the amount of water you draw from it. Taking water
without payment is theft.

So whose water was it before the water company got it -- and was any
payment made for the company's acquisition of that water?

We had to get the lawyers onto a company that kept sending its gully
washers onto our industrial estate, to fill up at our private hydrants,
so that they could avoid paying the water authority charges.

Did the industrial estate use its own well(s), spring(s) or aquifer(s)
and, if not, whence did that water supply originate?

--
Paul

geoff

In message , BigWallop
writes

"The Question Asker" wrote in message
Yeah I noticed I seem to be getting a hammering, tho water company says

that
we only pay £0.80 per cubic meter as dont have to pay sewage costs so it
works out a bit cheaper, and those standpipes only have a small hose
attachement on them the idea was to fill it quickly with one of the

firemans
hoses (No pun intended)

Does anyone know why fireman's balls are bigger than policeman's balls ?

I do hope that it's nothing to do with selling more tickets
--
geoff
The Question Asker

I heard from a friend that you can get a pond allowance for one pond
filling, whereby they don't charge u, any body got information on this

The Question Asker

u got it

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , BigWallop
writes

"The Question Asker" wrote in message
Yeah I noticed I seem to be getting a hammering, tho water company says

that
we only pay £0.80 per cubic meter as dont have to pay sewage costs so

it
works out a bit cheaper, and those standpipes only have a small hose
attachement on them the idea was to fill it quickly with one of the

firemans
hoses (No pun intended)

Does anyone know why fireman's balls are bigger than policeman's balls ?

I do hope that it's nothing to do with selling more tickets
--
geoff

Ian French

Hi All,

To put this in context, here in the Thames Water area we pay £1.02 for 1000
litres on a water meter. Now 1000litres is a cubic metre so if you have a
really big pond, say 10 metres long by 3 metres wide and 1 metre deep, this
is 30 cu metres so it will cost you the princely sum of £30.60 to fill it.
Might be cheaper than hireing the tool and risking prosecution!

Ian.

"Toby" wrote in message
Hi,
As you may have seen from a recent post we have dug out a rather

large
pond
and need to fill it before the clay dries out... We have a Yellow fire
hydrant positioned out the front of our house, my Q's are...

I have heard of the Fire Brigade filling (and emptying) swimming pools
before, so I would imagine a pond would be OK. This was in rural Essex

and
done from the engine/tank. Might seem a bit strange asking them.

Toby

BigWallop

"The Question Asker" wrote in message
I heard from a friend that you can get a pond allowance for one pond
filling, whereby they don't charge u, any body got information on this

And here was me thinking that it was only the gods that gave you free pond
filling. :-))

The Question Asker

good point, even if you have your own reservoir I believe you have to pay
the water company for its use...

"Paul C. Dickie" wrote in message
In article , nightjar@?.?
writes
"The Question Asker" wrote in message
Well just measured our pond its 8m*12m and 1m all over, which makes it

96
cubic meters, making it £144 a small fortune for water....

Not only do you need permission to use a hydrant, the water authority

will
also charge you for the amount of water you draw from it. Taking water
without payment is theft.

So whose water was it before the water company got it

That is irrelevant. It is their water by the time it gets to a hydrant and
taking it without their permission is theft.

We had to get the lawyers onto a company that kept sending its gully
washers onto our industrial estate, to fill up at our private hydrants,
so that they could avoid paying the water authority charges.

Did the industrial estate use its own well(s), spring(s) or aquifer(s)
and, if not, whence did that water supply originate?

It is a metered supply, purchased from a water supply company. The company
that was filling its gully washers was stealing from the estate management
company, which had to pay for the water used.

Colin Bignell

Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:25:40 +0100, Malcolm Stewart wrote:

At the moment I don't know if my problem is a new spring (it's
Oxford clay underneath, I've been here 20 years and it's never
happened before), or whether it's a mains supply leak.

Unless there have been some changes (reduction) in the local
abstraction or new building nearby (within about 1/2 mile) I would
doubt it is a new spring. This leaves a leak and being on clay it
could be a considerable distance from where it is appearing.

I'd be tempted to dig down and follow where it is coming from.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Richard Savage

Those who watched Fred Dibnah's early TV progs about him 'burning' chimneys
down, i.e. without explosives, may remember him filling the water tank of his
traction engine, sorry road roller, from fire hydrants. IIRC he said that the
Bolton(?) fire brigade were quite happy for him to do this because he told them
when he found one not working.

Thar knows this was a few years back, me lad.

Richard

PS I think the vehicle was called Alison - after his wife. I'm not sure that
had anything to do with their eventual divorce.