KKEVINRCARTER

Default Region 1 DVD Disk Errors

Can anyone advise me as to why a Region 1 DVD disk won't play without jumping -
on DVD players which have been "made" multiregion?

I have a DVD import which seems to play for about 15 - 20 minutes then starts
jumping.

This happens on 2 different DVD players so it can't be the DVD.

When the DVD is placed in another DVD - or the same scene played at a later
date it doesn't jump. So it can't be the disk?
Lee

KKEVINRCARTER wrote:
Can anyone advise me as to why a Region 1 DVD disk won't play without jumping -
on DVD players which have been "made" multiregion?

I have a DVD import which seems to play for about 15 - 20 minutes then starts
jumping.

This happens on 2 different DVD players so it can't be the DVD.

When the DVD is placed in another DVD - or the same scene played at a later
date it doesn't jump. So it can't be the disk?

It could still be the disc, it might have encoding errors that cause
problems on some players but not others. I have a couple of R2 discs
with a slightly corrupted mpeg data stream that crash one of my Philips
players*, but play fine on the PC.

*It seems to accumulate the errors up to the point where it freezes,
incidentally about 20 mins too...
Play the disc from 10 mins in, and it crashes at 30 mins...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Mike

"KKEVINRCARTER" wrote in message
Can anyone advise me as to why a Region 1 DVD disk won't play without

jumping -
on DVD players which have been "made" multiregion?

I have a DVD import which seems to play for about 15 - 20 minutes then

starts
jumping.

It may be intended. I recall discussions on this 'technology' (sic) in the
electronics trade press some time ago and I presume somebody may have
decided to use it.

What is the DVD ?

p cooper

weve found Xine in linux will play Region 1 DVDs with no problem. - just
plug the l;aptop into the back of the TV.

Someones bundled a CD of linux DVD playing programmes - I'll have a hunt.
in the meantime try Knoppix (www.knoppix.org)

KKEVINRCARTER

The DVD is "Dead Like Me" a black comedy series shown on Sky last year - not
yet released in UK on DVD yet hence the Region 1 copy (xmas present).

Incidentally this DVD is part of a boxed set and the one causing problems
features the "pilot" episode - the other DVDs appear to work okay!!

Mike

"KKEVINRCARTER" wrote in message
The DVD is "Dead Like Me" a black comedy series shown on Sky last year -

not
yet released in UK on DVD yet hence the Region 1 copy (xmas present).

Incidentally this DVD is part of a boxed set and the one causing problems
features the "pilot" episode - the other DVDs appear to work okay!!

Wouldn't have thought they'd kybosh just one disc. Sounds like a genuine
fault. Can you download the files onto your PC hard disc and see if they
play from there or register as corrupt.

John Rumm

KKEVINRCARTER wrote:

Can anyone advise me as to why a Region 1 DVD disk won't play without jumping -
on DVD players which have been "made" multiregion?

No reason why it should unless the disc is faulty or there is something
wrong with the player.

I have a DVD import which seems to play for about 15 - 20 minutes then starts
jumping.

This happens on 2 different DVD players so it can't be the DVD.

Not sure I follow that logic. Surely they suggests it *is* likely to be
the DVD?

When the DVD is placed in another DVD - or the same scene played at a later
date it doesn't jump. So it can't be the disk?

The disc could be marginal - the scene in question having a higher error
rate. Sometimes the players error correction manages to sort it out,
sometimes it does not. You may also find some players are repeatably
more reliable than others.

(remember that every time the laser reads the DVD data, there is no
guarantee that it will read the same thing each time. It is down to the
forward error correction information that is encoded along with the
data, and post processing by the drives firmware, to sort out the mess
and hopefully present a correct and consistent data stream. A
manufacturing defect in the disc can result it the system being pushed
right to the threshold, hence sometimes it works sometimes it don't!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Bert Coules

I have to cut a 6" diameter hole through both sides of a cavity wall. to fit
an extractor fan. Before I go and hire a core drill, what's the possibility
of drilling a large number of closely-spaced small holes and then attacking
the wall - first inside, then out - with a large hammer and a masonry
chisel?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Paul King

Bert Coules wrote:
I have to cut a 6" diameter hole through both sides of a cavity wall.
to fit an extractor fan. Before I go and hire a core drill, what's
the possibility of drilling a large number of closely-spaced small
holes and then attacking the wall - first inside, then out - with a
large hammer and a masonry chisel?

I'd be inclined to drill 1 hole dead in the centre of the circle, right
through both leaves. Then you can measure off 3" right round the centre and
drill the holes - alternatively, use a 6" cardboard circle, fixed at where
the hole was drilled. That way you'll guarantee that both holes will meet in
the same place. Hammer and masonary chisel too! I'd think that a 6" core
drill is probably going to have a *LOT* of torque, and could be difficult to
hold, especially if you're up a ladder...

Rockwell Model 781 Disk Sander Dave Mundt Woodworking 5 March 18th 18 05:44 PM
OT - 386 code Cliff Metalworking 40 January 24th 05 05:47 AM
ideas for making small disk Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 27 December 8th 04 11:31 PM
Floppy Disk Drive Jack Electronics 3 September 5th 03 03:33 PM