John Rumm

KKEVINRCARTER wrote:

Can anyone advise me as to why a Region 1 DVD disk won't play without jumping -
on DVD players which have been "made" multiregion?

No reason why it should unless the disc is faulty or there is something
wrong with the player.

I have a DVD import which seems to play for about 15 - 20 minutes then starts
jumping.

This happens on 2 different DVD players so it can't be the DVD.

Not sure I follow that logic. Surely they suggests it *is* likely to be
the DVD?

When the DVD is placed in another DVD - or the same scene played at a later
date it doesn't jump. So it can't be the disk?

The disc could be marginal - the scene in question having a higher error
rate. Sometimes the players error correction manages to sort it out,
sometimes it does not. You may also find some players are repeatably
more reliable than others.

(remember that every time the laser reads the DVD data, there is no
guarantee that it will read the same thing each time. It is down to the
forward error correction information that is encoded along with the
data, and post processing by the drives firmware, to sort out the mess
and hopefully present a correct and consistent data stream. A
manufacturing defect in the disc can result it the system being pushed
right to the threshold, hence sometimes it works sometimes it don't!)

--
Cheers,

John.