John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

It's largely a matter of attitude and policy. Microsoft has tried for
years to move software out of computers and into its own servers, so you

snip

Outlook would swallow this and pass it to Windows. Windows would assume
Outlook knew what it was doing, and run the file. I kid you not.

You're making these statements as though they are fact, not opinion. If you
claim that they re factual you need to support them with evidence.

Well, I can verify what he is saying in this instance... attach whatever
significance you wish to that.

If you want to get a feeling for the workings of the Microsoft mind,
there are two sources I would point you at. The first are the (now
famous) "Halloween Documents" - these are internal policy study
documents that leaked out of Microsoft. A fully annotated set here make
for very interesting reading:

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/halloween1.php

The second big insight is much of the information placed into the public
record as a result of Microsoft's big anti trust trial. Emails from the
likes of Gates and Balmer give a good insight to their attitude to a
wide range of topics. A good starting place might be he-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/1998/10...soft_on_trial/

But if the MS critics have their way and many more people have Linus the
vuruses WILL be able to spread, thus Linux will be as bvulnerable as OE.

There is an argument of scale here, i.e. more installs of a competing
product would lead to more possibility of virus spread.

However there are very real architectural differences between windows
and most other OSs that make this far harder to happen. Also there is
the issue of the MS dominance of the desktop being a monoculture, which
provides a largely uniform target. The multitude of variants of the
different *nix platforms create a less uniform target and hence harder
to exploit even if they had the same penetration on the desktop as Windows.

Finally remember that the systems to which you refer *are* already
ubiquitous in the servers and infrastructure that run the internet.

It's not *just* the variation in Linux installations, not *just* that few
people run as root, not *just* that nobody has yet been stupid enough to
write a mail client like Outlook.

Using words like 'stupid' is offensive and diminishes your credibility.

There were undoubtedly some very poor decisions made with regard to OE
and outlook. Many of these were driven by a desire for integration with
MS Office. Many of these have now been reversed or excised. However the
legacy of some is still with us. Take for example the inclusion of the
ability to generate and render HTML markup in emails. Prior to MS making
this popular, email was predominantly a text only platform. Without
HTML, email would be far less attractive platform to spammers/marketers,
less suitable for phishing, and about 1/5th the size.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

JM wrote:

I know that Apache is the most common webserver 'out there', but I read some
time ago (sorry, no links available) that very few Fortune 500 companies use
it, instead going with Windows.

That seems unlikely somehow... have a look at some of the graphs of
Apache Vs the rest he-

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mike wrote:

Remember that MS do not dominate in the server space. One of the most
common OSs about must be IOS from Cisco. As deployed in critical
internet routers and gateways the world over. Highly attractive (and
profitable) target for the black hat community,

How is it attractive ? They might bring down the Internet but where's the
profit line ?

You need to think a little bigger!

What would be the most reliable way of wiping a corporate web site from
the `net; DDoSing it with an army of zombies, or completely isolating it
by hacking the core routers?

How much could you extort from a major telcoms company if you could take
out a slice of their VoIP traffic?

What would you rather do, phish somones online banking details, or get a
backdoor into the bank's web server instead?

Imagine the extortion potential if you had hacked a router to duplicate
and deliver a complete copy of all of a multinational's external email
and VoIP traffic to you as well?

In fact the only way to make money from it would be to e-mail a version to
Cisco and ask for $n,000 or it gets released. For all we know this happens
aleady.

the source for IOS has already been leaked... there was also at e last
one competitor accused (but never proven since they settled out of
court) of using something very like it on their own range of routers.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Huge wrote:

Untrue. Windows has fundamental problems, both in design and implementation,
with separation of user space from system space.

Another example of marketing triumphing over engineering. In the case of
NT the core OS was originally designed by Dave Cutler and his team (the
same people who built the rock solid VMS system for DEC). It was well
partitioned with isolation between kernel and other core parts of the
system. This made it well suited to being a server OS.

Alas the desire to get better performance on the desktop has resulted in
conflicting requirements as MS try to make windows all things to all
men. With ever more functionality being moved into the kernel space
(Win32 API, Graphics sub-system etc), to get a better "user experience".

--
Cheers,

John.

nightjar

"John Rumm" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

to do so. The relativly better security probably does protect it from the
occasional destructive geek. However, I would need a lot more convincing
that it could withstand the sort of highly organised, well funded attacks
that MS products are subjected to.

I would be very supprised if the systems that build the core of the
internet backbone, coupled with those that run the highest profile sites
are not subjected to the most deliberate attacks going.

If you were a black hat looking to do mischief, what would be a bigger
prize.... A big pile of Windows boxes? or eBay, the BBC News site, and
Telehouse in docklands?

I'm not talking about the mischief makers, who are only a small part of the
problem. What I am talking about is the organised attacks by teams of
programmers working for criminals, primarily those distributing porn, that
are aimed at making money from the computer users. The Windows boxes are
both easier to get into and more likely to yield returns, both because the
users are less likely to know how to stop the attacks and because there are
simply so many of them that even duping a very small percentage of them will
bring in lots of money. I don't see any profit for that sector in attacking
servers, high profile sites or the internet itself.

Colin Bignell

John Rumm wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

And can I suggest that people at least take a look at

http://mcs.open.ac.uk/safecomputing

How do I know that it's safe to open this?

I'm serious, not being flippant.

Good question!

In this case the answer is "because you trust the person giving the
advice".

However normally it would be because you were using a web browser
unlikely to be vulnerable to web based exploits, your virus scanner will
be running, it's signature files up to date. So to your firewall. You
will have installed the Sun JVM as a replacement for the Microsoft one
and made it the default.

However if you are visiting a site you are unsure about you will have
turned off both Java and Javascript, at least initially.

If you still have doubts, type the URL into google and see if there are
discussions raging about it.

Don't be an early adopter, wait for a couple of others to post responses
to what they have read. If they are not complaining about an itchy
feeling in their bin directory, chances are you will be ok as well!

So you do this every time you look at a file? It would make web
browsing rather laborious in my opinion.

I don't use Windows for any web activities though.

--
Chris Green
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , nightjar
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:

No doubt you bought Betamax too, or would have if you are too young to
recall it.

Betamax and V2000 buyers looked for quality over commonality.
This tends NOT to describe the IE/OE/MS brigade.

dmc

In article , raden wrote:

Because I posted the URL, that's why

Ah, but how do I know you are who you claim to be.

You might be a mad hacker/axe murderer/IMM sitting outside of geoffs house
having hacked his wireless network...

Darren

John Rumm

However normally it would be because you were using a web browser
unlikely to be vulnerable to web based exploits, your virus scanner will
be running, it's signature files up to date. So to your firewall. You
will have installed the Sun JVM as a replacement for the Microsoft one
and made it the default.

However if you are visiting a site you are unsure about you will have
turned off both Java and Javascript, at least initially.

If you still have doubts, type the URL into google and see if there are
discussions raging about it.

Don't be an early adopter, wait for a couple of others to post responses
to what they have read. If they are not complaining about an itchy
feeling in their bin directory, chances are you will be ok as well!

So you do this every time you look at a file? It would make web
browsing rather laborious in my opinion.

Well the things relating to setup and choice of software are fit and
forget one off operations. The latter steps would only come into play if
I had doubts about the site I was visiting. Since most of the time I am
going to recomended sites, or ones I regularly visit however, it is not
usualy an issue.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Christian McArdle

OK, sold! I've finally gone and done it - dumped OE that is - and am
posting my first message via Thunderbird.

Has the news part been updated? I tried Thunderbird 0.9, but I couldn't get
it to easily highlight the entire thread of any thread I'd posted in. Does
Thunderbird 1.0 offer any advances in this direction?

Christian.

John Rumm

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

If you were a black hat looking to do mischief, what would be a bigger
prize.... A big pile of Windows boxes? or eBay, the BBC News site, and
Telehouse in docklands?

I'm not talking about the mischief makers, who are only a small part of the
problem. What I am talking about is the organised attacks by teams of
programmers working for criminals, primarily those distributing porn, that
are aimed at making money from the computer users. The Windows boxes are

I was including all forms of malicious activity in my phrase "do
mischief" - not just the script kiddies out for a good time, but the
organised criminal as well.

both easier to get into and more likely to yield returns, both because the
users are less likely to know how to stop the attacks and because there are
simply so many of them that even duping a very small percentage of them will
bring in lots of money. I don't see any profit for that sector in attacking
servers, high profile sites or the internet itself.

For a good proportion of attacks I think you are right. Some like
premium rate phone scams only work on the small scale. Others like
identity theft obviously work well enough on the small scale, even if
the stolen identity itself then goes on to fry much bigger fish in the
real world. However for the larger organised crime (or even terrorist)
bodies, I can also see big value in the larger scale targets. If
extortion is your game, it is going to be far more effective if you can
interfere with the infrastructure directly (even if you proxy through a
pile of zombies to cover your tracks!) As I mentioned in another part of
the thread, imagine the mileage in being able to completely isolate a
site on the web, or steal/redirect all it's traffic, or wipe out (or
just tap) a large part of a multinationals VoIP calls.

In many respects this is probably an academic discussion, since even if
an alternative OS made big inroads into Windows' market share on the
desktop, it is unlikely to result in the same monoculture that would
allow like for like comparisons to be made.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

Sorry, it was just an irritated, pesonal, throwaway line - but I've been
very interested by the replies.

So were we when we saw them the first time round. Would you please try to
trim to context, at least a bit?

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

Despite Linux's inherent security model, there is nothing to stop people
messing it up if they do stupid things while logged in as root.

I wish I understood the language you're using, isn't it possible to say it
without using jargon? While I understand the need for jargon among Those Who
Know, it's not helpful to those who don't.

I take it you mean the bit about "root"?

Unix and similar platforms have always been multi user systems. The OS
supports a security model that allows the person who administers the
computer to control in very fine detail exactly what each user can see
and do with the computer (i.e. which files they are able to read, those
they can write, applications they can use). This "super user" uses an
account that is traditionally called "root". They have root privileges
which allow them to do anything they like to any file on the system,
irrespective of who it belongs to, or whether it is a critical part of
the OS itself. The accepted wizdom in these circles is that ordinary
users are given accounts that do not have these privileges. Hence they
are unable to access critical system files or files belonging to other
users. Even a user with a root account would typically have a separate
less privileged one for thier day to day activities, simply as a
safeguard against them doing something silly. One of the affects of this
is that should a user get duped into running a malitious application,
there is still very little it can do to cause harm because the user does
not have the privilege to do widespread damage to the system.

Versions of windows in the 9x line (i.e. 95, 98, ME) don't support any
of these concepts. Anyone sat in front of the computer has complete
control over it. Hence any application they run also has free reign.

Versions of windows in the NT Line (NT3.5 - 4.0, Win2K, WinXP, Win
Server 2003), however do support these concepts. They have a root
account that is by default called "administrator". A well setup system
can be orgainised in exactly the same way as the typical *nix system.

However there is a cultural difference. Very few of the people now using
these systems are instructed to create themselves a less privileged
account to use for day to day activities. Microsoft don't shout it from
the roof tops, even though they know it to be a good thing. In the case
of Windows XP Home Edition, they even hide the fact that these
capabilities exist, and hence you automatically end up doing everything
with administrator privilege. Presumably this is because they feel these
concepts would add complexity for the user, especially the one who has
graduated from the Win98 system, and is used to being able to install
what they want, when they want, without giving it a second thought.
However by allowing them to use the system without having to lean some
of these security fundamentals, they lay them open to all sorts of
future problems.

There is a worrying trend with some of the Linux versions that are
targeted at Windows users, of them following this same path.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

OK, sold! I've finally gone and done it - dumped OE that is - and am
posting my first message via Thunderbird.

Has the news part been updated? I tried Thunderbird 0.9, but I couldn't get
it to easily highlight the entire thread of any thread I'd posted in. Does
Thunderbird 1.0 offer any advances in this direction?

Create a message filter that looks for a "sender" containing your name
or address, and have the filter set the thread to be "watched", and also
label the post "personal" or "important". This will cause the colour of
the title to be shown in a different colour.

That way you can very quickly check the state of all the threads you
have participated in simply by selecting "View | Threads | Watched
threads with unread". That will then only show threads you have posted
to, that also have new posts in them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Alan

In message , Lobster
wrote

Look at any post from Bob Eager; in OE you'll see an 'attachment' icon
by all his messages, due to a bug in OE which he deliberately exploits
for reasons best known to himself

I see no attachment with the software I use - only a properly formed
signature. Perhaps it's only people with faulty software that have the
problem.

--
Alan

begin again

John Rumm wrote:

In many respects this is probably an academic discussion, since even if
an alternative OS made big inroads into Windows' market share on the
desktop, it is unlikely to result in the same monoculture that would
allow like for like comparisons to be made.

An 'alternative browser' is already doing quite well, even the
somewhat biased statistics from sites which simply log the browser ID
indicate that Mozilla/Firefox now have a significant and increasing
share of the browser 'market'. IE has dropped below 90% and the trend
is continuing.

I believe this is for a number of reasons:-

Peopler *are* listening to discussions like this which air the
vulnerabilites of IE.

The BBC has been recommending FireFox for a while.

Firefox's pop-up blocking is a wonderful feature, when I used IE
recently I realised how much I was 'missing' by using FireFox most
of the time.

FireFox and Mozilla's tabbed browsing is something I really can't
live without now. I suspect quite a few other people feel the
same way.

--
Chris Green
Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

Mary it is obvious that you don't understand the differences between linux
and windows.

That's true. Nobody's explained it.

Ah - a challenge! Let's see if I can do it in under 30 lines. No, this
line doesn't count. Nor does this one.

The roots of Windows are in providing a graphical user interface layer
on top of a small, single-user machine. That single user is/was assumed
to have full authority to do anything at all on the machine - access all
memory, all disks/files, perform arbitrary input-output operations on
all devices. This absence of "privilege separation" was total for all
versions of Windows before NT: so, the ol' Windows 3.1 on top of DOS,
Win95, Win98, WinME. Importantly, the business model that MS pursued on
top of this technology was to offer terms to PC builders which made it
financially lunatic for them to offer any other opearting system (OS)
alongside Windows, to attract as many third-party developers of hardware
and software products to their OS, and to keep the interface specs for
Windows technologies changing just fast enough to make it possible to
keep up but not to also track other OSes. During this critical
market-acqusition phase, stuff which made it harder to develop for
Windows or harder to use was *right* *out* - and that included security.

The Unix world - where Linux lives - started from a very different
place. Its roots are as an OS to let a number of "unprivileged" users
share an expensive, well-administered mainframe, while still allowing
those individual users to do their own software development. By default,
there's little an "ordinary" user running an "ordinary" program under
Unix/Linux can do to najjer the whole system or other users on the same
machine. Throughout the initial growth period of the PC (1980s/early90s)
Unix-on-PC scarcely existed; and the software packages which ran on Unix
were specialised "big-iron" things - "serious" databases, and some
specialised scientific/engineering stuff. It kept a place in university
Computer Science departments because of relatively open licensing
conditions for those users.

By the early 90s, MS had ambitions for a "grown-up" OS. They devloped
the core - the "kernel" - of NT around then. (At least they ripped off a
good design - they bought in Dave Cutler and others from DEC, who were
shown in a subsequent legal action and settlement to have incorporated
chunks of design and actual code from their earlier employer in NT.) NT
- on which Win2000, WinXP, and future MS OSes are based - does have
"privilege separation". However, it isn't necessarily *used* widely. For
concrete examples: in their older 3.51 release of NT, MS left the
graphical user interface stuff "outside" the kernel, running at a less
privileged level. But this slowed things down too much - made a PC
running NT 3.51 fell really sluggish next to a W95 box. So, they yanked
all of that code into the kernel - improving performance, but making it
a lot easier for poorly-written or malicious software to do Bad Things
to the whole system. Similarly, XP "Home Edition" means all the software
you run (both "deliberately" and that's run on your behalf) does so as
"Administrator", with effectively unlimited rights. Only in the last
couple of years have MS started to act to make security be of the same
order of importance as ease-of-use.

This business of "privilege separation" is the technical heart of why
viruses, worms, and the whole clan of malicious software has a
significantly easier time spreading under Windows than under Linux or
the other Unix-derived OSes (OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, and Mac OSX):
under the Unix model, the user environment in which some piece of
unwanted code gets to run is restricted; under the Windows model, it's
significantly less restriced.

What's massively frustrating about this to computer professionals is
that it's all blindingly obvious and inevitable, and was being warned
about throughout the last 15 years and more. And much as it's been
economic pressures which have led MS to rationally prioritise features
over security, many believe it's only a change in the imposed economic
climate - making software producers liable for the foreseeable damage
their design decisions cause - which will change the industry's behaviour.

Damn, over the 30 line mark. Ah well. Hope it helps someone... Stefek
nightjar

wrote in message ...
Peopler *are* listening to discussions like this which air the
vulnerabilites of IE.

Spyware Blaster includes protection for Mozilla/Firefox, so that cannot be
free from vulnerabilities either.

The BBC has been recommending FireFox for a while.

Firefox's pop-up blocking is a wonderful feature, when I used IE
recently I realised how much I was 'missing' by using FireFox most
of the time....

There are plenty of third party applications, including freeware, to stop
them in IE too.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , nightjar
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:

No doubt you bought Betamax too, or would have if you are too young to
recall it.

Betamax and V2000 buyers looked for quality over commonality.
This tends NOT to describe the IE/OE/MS brigade.

I was comparing MS to VHS, not to Betamax and the point is that there is a
lot more to a successful product than simply being the best.

Colin Bignell

Stefek Zaba

Tony Hogarty wrote:

What about the famous Morris worm?

Perhaps I should have said modern nix systems? 1988 is a long long time
ago!

Maybe, but the types of vulnerabilities the Morris worm exploited are
still around - a buffer overflow in fingerd and a privileged debug mode
in sendmail, AFAIR. Buffer overflows are still a common method of
attack, and sendmail's had 10+ years of after-the-fact "hardening" but
still isn't seen as "safe our of the box" by many. The cautious
commentator therefore uses words like "significantly harder" when
comparing damage and propagation prospects for malicious software under
*nix to its prospects under Windows, rather'n "impossible".

Unless, of course, they're in marketing ;-)

"nightjar" nightjar@ insert_my_surname_here.uk.com wrote:

wrote in message ...
Peopler *are* listening to discussions like this which air the
vulnerabilites of IE.

Spyware Blaster includes protection for Mozilla/Firefox, so that cannot be
free from vulnerabilities either.

I run it on Linux so that's not really relevant to me.

The BBC has been recommending FireFox for a while.

Firefox's pop-up blocking is a wonderful feature, when I used IE
recently I realised how much I was 'missing' by using FireFox most
of the time....

There are plenty of third party applications, including freeware, to stop
them in IE too.

Yes, but for 'out of the box' usability FireFox wins. As everyone has
been saying your average 'man in the street' doesn't want to have to
add things on to their basic applications to make them work well.

--
Chris Green

Stefek Zaba

JM wrote:

I know that Apache is the most common webserver 'out there', but I

read some
time ago (sorry, no links available) that very few Fortune 500 companies use
it, instead going with Windows.

Sorry - but either you read wrong, or you read "Windows Developer" ;-)
Month-by-month server surveys are over at www.netcraft.co.uk. As
webserver software goes, Apache dominates IIS by over 2:1. Some of that
Apache runs on Windows, but more often it's on a *nix - a Linux,
Solaris, or BSD most usually.

The "by volume of bytes served" surveys I've seen - rather than the "by
number of sites" - show an even greater dominance for the non-MS OSes.
Of the "top 50 by traffic" Websites, I seem to recall the MS-powered
ones being in the single digits.

Where MS websites do dominate is in "business enthusiast" sites - SMEs
who are either putting their company brochure and "email us!!!" on the
free webspace provided by their ISP, or are paying a web-hosting company
to do some Web Presence for them. Since most of these companies run MS
in the office, it's a more familiar environment for their (possible
part-time) IT people to prepare and share content in - FrontPage Is Your
Friend.

HTH - Stefek
Stefek Zaba

Mike wrote:

Java has that separation built in yet it was breached.

Not on anything like the same scale! Yes, there's been at least one
documented failure in the *implementation* of the Java sandbox. Contrast
that with ActiveX - "sandbox? wot sandbox? you wanna run on my machine?
go ahead!". It's almost as if *design* matters, as well as
implementation ;-)
Bob Eager

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:54:33 UTC, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

The Unix world - where Linux lives - started from a very different
place. Its roots are as an OS to let a number of "unprivileged" users
share an expensive, well-administered mainframe, while still allowing
those individual users to do their own software development.

Well, it's roots were actually to let two or three unprivileged users
play a space war game, on a small minicomputer...!

By the early 90s, MS had ambitions for a "grown-up" OS. They devloped
the core - the "kernel" - of NT around then. (At least they ripped off a
good design - they bought in Dave Cutler and others from DEC, who were
shown in a subsequent legal action and settlement to have incorporated
chunks of design and actual code from their earlier employer in NT.)

It's interesting that the earlier design was VMS (developed in the mid
1970s). Go to the next letter in the alphabet in each case.....

Shades of HAL, the computer in '2001'. In both cases the derived
initials are said to be an accident, though.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
John Rumm

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
wrote in message ...

Peopler *are* listening to discussions like this which air the
vulnerabilites of IE.

Spyware Blaster includes protection for Mozilla/Firefox, so that cannot be
free from vulnerabilities either.

Moz is certainly not free from problems and indeed has some unique ones
of its own (the current flaw with tabbed browsing spoofed popups spring
to mind). However the list of known issues is far shorter, and more
importantly many of the default actions are by design inherently safer.

Something to remember with the term "spyware" is that it encompases all
the privacy invading things like tracking cookies. If you enable any
form of cookies on a browser then you are vulnerable to these. I am not
aware of any nasty spyware browser hijacks for Moz like CoolWebSearch
though.

There are plenty of third party applications, including freeware, to stop
them in IE too.

Filtergate is one I quite like - very good at removing ads of all types
from web pages without breaking too many of them. Only when I use
someone else's computer do I realise just how much clutter there is on
some of the web sites I use that I never usualy see!

--
Cheers,

John.

Stefek Zaba

Bob Eager wrote:

It's interesting that the earlier design was VMS (developed in the mid
1970s). Go to the next letter in the alphabet in each case.....

Shades of HAL, the computer in '2001'. In both cases the derived
initials are said to be an accident, though.

S'far as I know (but I should ask the old VMS crew who after the
HP-Compaq merger are now colleagues ;-) the "VMS - WNT" Ceasar-1 was an
after-the-fact observation rather than a deliberate construction. I'd
always believed the "IBM - HAL" thing was deliberate (and of course WNT
has a HAL as the machine-dep/machine-indep interface layer, right? ;-)

The afu FAQ gives the IBM-HAL thing as a "U*", i.e. Unknown and
Unknowable; it acknowledges that Arthur C Clarke has publicly denied the
derivation, but also gives airplay to reasons why such a denial need not
be the last and final word on the subject.

I'm reminded of the engineering codenames for the first PowerPC Apple
Macs - in reaction to their own marketing department's tendency to hype,
they'd named the three models after great scientific hoaxes - Piltdown
Man (or PDM), Cold Fusion, and Sagan. Apparently, the pre-eminent
then-living astronomical populariser considered it a gross slur on his
reputation - worth Billions and Billions of dollars ;-) - to be
associated with hoaxes, and set his legal eagles onto the Apple
Corporation. Who withdrew the codename. And replaced it with BHA. Which
did not, not, *not* in any way shape or form, stand for "Butt Head
Astronomer". No siree.

Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

So do I ...

more confused than ever but that says more about me than about you

Mary

Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

more confused than ever but that says more about me than about you

No - the fault is mine. Let me try a boil-down version.

Windows starts with the idea that all programs are benign. It expects
they're all acting in the interests of the single person who owns and
operates the PC. If anyone finds a way of sneaking some program or piece
of program onto the machine, that malicious software will have the right
to access and change any existing information anywhere on the PC, and do
anything a legitimate program could.

For example: it can search for files which have sixteen digits in a row
in them (maybe with spaces at every 4th position); it can then connect
to some other machine Out There and send a copy of that file, which
contains a likely credit card number and maybe other information which
makes it easier to use that card number fraudelently. Or it can launch a
program which will accept an incoming connection from a Bad source of
control, which causes the PC to send spam or other nasty traffic to
other machines. And it can attach these bits of program to all the
existing programs - because it has the right to write to any file,
including the ones where programs are stored.

Unix starts with the other idea: that there's a restricted set of things
which "ordinary" users can do using "ordinary" programs, and only when
they explicitly say "I'm acting as the Administrator of this system
right now" - typically by logging in under a different username - can
they write to program files, scan the contents of all files, or add
"always launch this program when starting the system" entries.

It's not an absolute defence - the example of setting up a "listen for
commands from Out There" program isn't forbidden under most Unixes[1].
But it is a fundamental difference in the way the two systems are
designed and run in practice. Later versions of Windows have the
capability to be better-defended, but typically aren't set up to take
broad advantage of those capabilities.

Future versions of Windows will further increase the amount of defence -
including using some new hardware features developed under the "Trusted
Computing" banner. Unfortunately for the industry at large, as a
consequence of MS's legally proven abuse of their dominant market
position, there's much suspicion of the motives behind their adoption of
this technology...

HTH - Stefek

[1]On my OpenBSD boxes, I run /home mounted with the "noexecute" option,
so "by default" when running as ordinary-mortal I can only execute
programs from partitions which I don't have write-access to, such as /
and /usr. But it's still not an absolute defence, merely another hurdle
for a determined attacker to overcome. As with physical security, the
(unmutual ;-) aim is not to make one's computer/house impregnable, but
to make it harder than other peoples' computers/houses to break into!

I adopt a similar discipline on my XP box - the user under which I log
in normally doesn't have Admin rights, has only read access to most of
the files in the directory where I install programs, and so on. It's a
pain to run this way - far too many programs assume they can scribble in
their install directories, and it's a PITA to track down which file
they'd like to write to and open up that particular one. MS Office sins
this way, even though it's supposedly "Win XP compatible" - having first
installed it as God, every time I ran an Office app as Mortal it spent
about 4 dialogue boxes trying to install/customise something or other in
the place-I-install-programs directory. I only managed to shut it up by
upping the privileges of my "ordinary" user to Godlike status briefly,
to allow it to do its Magick Customisation or whatever, and having
returned the Ordinary user to Mere Mortal status the Office apps no
longer whinge on startup. But the effort to run in this
reduced-privilege way is well beyond the "can I be arsed" threshold for
sensible people...
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

more confused than ever but that says more about me than about you

No - the fault is mine. Let me try a boil-down version.

Windows starts with the idea that all programs are benign. It expects
they're all acting in the interests of the single person who owns and
operates the PC. If anyone finds a way of sneaking some program or piece
of program onto the machine, that malicious software will have the right
to access and change any existing information anywhere on the PC, and do
anything a legitimate program could.

For example: it can search for files which have sixteen digits in a row in
them (maybe with spaces at every 4th position);

OK, I'm lost already. Look, I'm saving all these posts and promise I shall
read, mrk and whoatnot when I get back. At the moment my brain hurts just
trying to remember how many socks to take to Wales ...

Mary

[...]

Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...

... your average 'man in the street' doesn't want to have to
add things on to their basic applications to make them work well.

He does it for almost everything else in his life ...

Mary

--
Chris Green

Joe

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Joe" wrote in message

Hence an email program which routinely runs attachments received in
emails. For a long time, it was not possible to stop Outlook/Outlook
Express running attachments automatically. The preview pane meant that it
was not even necessary to explicitly look at an email. This behaviour went
on long after it became glaringly obvious that it was a stupid idea. The
question is, why was it *ever* considered anything other than a stupid
idea? Even after it had been 'stopped', it was possible to include an
executable in an email and tell Outlook that it was a harmless audio file.
Outlook would swallow this and pass it to Windows. Windows would assume
Outlook knew what it was doing, and run the file. I kid you not.

You're making these statements as though they are fact, not opinion. If you
claim that they re factual you need to support them with evidence.

1. Google for: iframe midi virus

You don't really need to follow any links, some of which look a bit
dubious, the few lines Google shows you should be enough.

Add klez to the list to see a specific example.

2. Go to an AV vendor's site and search for 'klez'. Read the
specifications.

Klez is just the best-known of the viruses that used that particular
exploit, there were others.

3. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS01-020.mspx

This site is fairly safe. Usually.

Remember with viruses, it's not just the number of infections that matter,
it's the rate of spread. If the common cold was likely to infect less than
one other person during the course of the disease, it would not simply be
extinct, it would never have evolved. Linux viruses exist, bugs in Linux
program exist, but if an infected installation is unlikely to manage to
infect another, the infection doesn't spread.

But if the MS critics have their way and many more people have Linus the
vuruses WILL be able to spread, thus Linux will be as bvulnerable as OE.

It's not just numbers of installations, as several people have said.
Most of the world's servers, permanently connected to the Internet, run
Linux or a BSD variant, or Solaris. When servers crash in bulk, it's
almost always the minority Microsoft ones, and almost always the
Microsoft web server software that's responsible. Apache (the world's
most popular web server) running on Windows is much safer than
Microsoft's IIS, and Apache running on Linux or Unix is safer still. Not
completely safe, but then nothing is.

This is harder to document. See

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/we...er_survey.html

for popularity of web servers.

Google for 'Code Red' and 'Nimda' for various analyses of these worms. I
don't know of a site which offers quick side-by-side comparisons of
Windows and *nix vulnerabilities. I've supported a Windows server (not,
thank the Lord, an Internet-facing one, but an Internet-connected one)
for the last five years, so I am personally aware of the relative virus
threats, having had to stay informed of them.

The two operating system families are built from different starting
points. It's a bit like two cars, one designed from scratch with safety
in mind and the other having big soft bumpers and extra airbags bolted
onto a standard chassis. Better, but still not as good as one designed
right.

It's not *just* the variation in Linux installations, not *just* that few
people run as root, not *just* that nobody has yet been stupid enough to
write a mail client like Outlook.

Using words like 'stupid' is offensive and diminishes your credibility.

Not in connection with something like Outlook. I'm fairly certain that
nobody has ever written an email client running under Linux which allows
the user to immediately execute code received in emails, let alone does
it automatically. It is certainly possible to do such a thing, and not
very difficult. I think the word 'stupid' is the very least that could
be applied to someone who did it deliberately (opinion). The Outlook
designers did (fact).
--
Joe

Joe

In message , John
Rumm writes

[...]

Another factor is that many Windows-only software writers don't really
understand permissions, and some software (even when 'designed' for XP)
will not run without administrator permissions. Indeed,
Microsoft-trained professionals have been known to advise that users be
given admin privileges on workstations on Small Business Server
networks, to make SBS itself run properly.
--
Joe
Mary Fisher

"Joe" wrote in message

I think the word 'stupid' is the very least that could be applied to
someone who did it deliberately (opinion). The Outlook designers did
(fact).

Evidence?

--
Joe

Grunff

Mary Fisher wrote:

OK, I'm lost already. Look, I'm saving all these posts and promise I shall
read, mrk and whoatnot when I get back. At the moment my brain hurts just
trying to remember how many socks to take to Wales ...

Mary, Stefek has spent a great deal of time trying to explain the basics
- I think you could at least thank him for his efforts!

--
Grunff
Bob Eager

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:21:16 UTC, Joe wrote:

The two operating system families are built from different starting
points. It's a bit like two cars, one designed from scratch with safety
in mind and the other having big soft bumpers and extra airbags bolted
onto a standard chassis. Better, but still not as good as one designed
right.

I can recommend a particular book - not 'techie' which uses this
metaphor - also online at:

http://www.spack.org/wiki/InTheBegin...TheCommandLine

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Lurch

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:37:22 +0000, Joe strung
together this:

Another factor is that many Windows-only software writers don't really
understand permissions, and some software (even when 'designed' for XP)
will not run without administrator permissions. Indeed,
Microsoft-trained professionals have been known to advise that users be
given admin privileges on workstations on Small Business Server
networks, to make SBS itself run properly.

I've had trouble with various MS programs on 2000 that don't work
unless you're logged in as admin.
If MS can't get them to work then no wonder no-one else can.......
--

SJW