AL A.

Default OT - computer network question...

A bit OT, but you guys know everything...

I just recently set up a network in my home. It is all hardwired, using
stuff (Motorola cable modem, Belkin router/firewall/switch thing and
additional 8 port switch/hub), from the local chain computer store.
Everything seems to work great so far. Yesterday I set up the printer on the
main "family room" computer so it can be shared by the other computers in
the house. It seems to work, but is really slow. I tried printing a blank
page with maybe 5 words on it. The originating computer shows it as
printing, and the "family room" machine (with the printer) says the document
is "spooling" for like 5 (literally) minutes. Then the page prints. This
happens on all of the network computers. Printing from the family room
machine works at "normal" speed.

Am I doing something wrong? sending files accross the network works great,
and is fast, shared web access works great, etc. Family room computer is
running Win2000, HP932 printer, other computers are all Win98.

Any advice or ideas are welcome!
Thanks,
AL

Neil Nelson

In article ,
"AL A." wrote:

[...]

Do all involved computers have the printer software installed on
them?
Dave Adams

Make sure that you have the latest printer drivers installed on each
computer that you want to print from.

You can download drivers for HP printers at:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:11:57 GMT, "AL A." wrote:

[...]

Gunner

[...]

Be sure each network printer has the proper driver installed for that
printer, and when you go to the host puter that has that printer,
check the advanced settings. It should be setup to print only after
receiving the entire file, rather than spooling it a bit at a time.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Tom

The "host" computer, or the one that has the printer connected to it needs the
drivers installed on it to match the other computers. IE: if the Win2000
computer has the printer connected to it but you are printing from a 98 machine
the 2000 computer has to have the 98 drivers installed on it also.

Assuming 2000 is similar to XP:
In your "printers" folder, right click on the selected printer and select
"properties". In the properties window click on the "sharing" tab. There should
be a button here for "additional drivers" which will allow you to install the
print drivers for the other machines.

Tom

"AL A." wrote:

[...]

Ahhaaa, falling into the HP-trap. HP sell cheap printers because they
use the CPU of the computer as the print processor instead of hardware
processor in the printer. That means the printer hogs your CPU and
couple that with a network and bingo, running through mud.

How fast is the win2000 printer? What else is running in the
background? Anti virus? Any Norton stuff?? All grist for your
hp-crapmill.

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.
Al A.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:11:57 GMT, "AL A." wrote:

To all who responded to my posting about my network printer problem,
thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I did get the issue
resolved, downloaded some more up to date drivers, and twiddled with
the spooler settings (actually my son did it) per the collective RCM
group wisdom, and it is working quite well now.
Thanks again!
AL